PDA

View Full Version : house wife question

Warren Lake
09-29-2022, 12:33 PM
past ive used the saran wrap stuff things in teh fridge but switched to pyrex and much better. Using this chunk of cheese the neighbours gave me as an example do you still need to wrap the cheese in the pyrex or can you skip it. Logic thought is there is still air all around the cheese does it not have an affect even if the container is sealed.

Paul F Franklin
09-29-2022, 1:10 PM
Not a house wife, but I play one fairly often!

We got tired of throwing out badly molded cheese so we have been using these methods:

When we have brick cheese that we won't use up quickly, I divide it into portions, seal them with a vacuum food sealer, and throw them in the freezer. It lasts a long time that way and most cheeses freeze nicely with no ill affect.

For sliced cheese, we transfer the slices into a ziplock, with the slices separated by parchment paper, and throw that into the freezer. That way you can take out a slice or two as needed. They defrost very quickly and when you're making something like grilled cheese, the cold slices work better because they don't melt as quickly, and the bread has time to get golden brown.

bill godber
09-29-2022, 1:38 PM
I cold smoke aged cheddar and then vacuum pack it. I've kept it in the fridge (not the freezer) for up to a year with no spoilage. The time in the fridge seems to enhance the flavor, the longer the better. I have no scientific reason for the improvment, just my tastebuds saying so.

Warren Lake
09-29-2022, 2:05 PM
focus not cheese it could be half an orange question is air in container not wrapped in saran if its bad then might as well just use the saran., Trying to understand air around the item verses wrapped whatever the item is.

im not a house wife either as is clear by now :)

Mike Henderson
09-29-2022, 2:22 PM
The mold spores are all around us. I expect the cheese has mold spores on it almost as soon as you open the package, and even before you open the package. So, whether you wrap it in plastic wrap or not, it will get mold growth on it in the frig.

But all you have to do is cut the mold growth off and they interior cheese is good to eat.

Mike

Warren Lake
09-29-2022, 2:51 PM
thanks Mike Mold is my friend and follows me like Murphy

Still same question about the air around the item whatever it may be. Its not about me cutting the cheese. It might be an orange or a Pomegranate whatever its the air around the item compared to wrapped Im interested in. Shop has a vaccum pump but its not a thing for this but someone above mentioned pulling air out, i bet pulling air out is as good as saran wrapping.

thanks

w

Paul F Franklin
09-29-2022, 3:23 PM
For what it's worth, Milk Street Radio (A food podcast by Christopher Kimball, the guy that used to head America's Test Kitchen) recommends always double wrapping items before storing in the fridge or freezer. First wrap tightly with plastic wrap or foil and then sealing in an air-tight bag or container, removing as much air as possible. They claim this will preserve the "freshness" of the food item longer.

I think of it like paint or varnish or even polyurethane glue...if you keep air and moisture away from it, the reactions that occur when in the presence of air and moisture slow down.

I've seen on the web somewhere the claim that celery wrapped in foil will stay fresh for weeks in the fridge...haven't tried it, but I plan to.

Alan Rutherford
09-29-2022, 4:18 PM
Cheese in a bowl covered with plastic is better than cheese in an uncovered bowl. Cheese wrapped in plastic is better off than in a covered bowl. If the plastic happens to be the remains of the opened factory wrapping, that's not as good as Saran wrap but better than nothing. Double-wrapped is better than single wrapped. Vacuum packed is better than not vacuum packed. It's not worth getting the plastic wrap out for 2 tablespoons of leftover cheese, it's worth it if we bought a one-pound block and want to put half of it away while it's fresh.

I don't know if celery wrapped in foil keeps for weeks or not, but the only way I would eat it is if it was wrapped in plastic before it was wrapped in foil.

Warren Lake
09-29-2022, 4:25 PM
thanks that is allmy brain questions answer all in the name of not wasting saran wrap. Agree on the aluminum oil last I heard they were even wondering if it helped with alzheimers. Never really answered but some stuff likely never will. last alcohol study said its basically evil other than two drinks a week. Its gone back and forth for years. Likely best to find out who did the study and what they have to gain from the end results. Do I sound cynical.

Mel Fulks
09-29-2022, 6:23 PM
thanks that is allmy brain questions answer all in the name of not wasting saran wrap. Agree on the aluminum oil last I heard they were even wondering if it helped with alzheimers. Never really answered but some stuff likely never will. last alcohol study said its basically evil other than two drinks a week. Its gone back and forth for years. Likely best to find out who did the study and what they have to gain from the end results. Do I sound cynical.

Even if you ARE cynical…. People will still like you if you replace “ cynical” with “skeptical”…. Especially if you decide to run
against Tru-dough ! I used to be a speech writer and NONE of my people EVER had a bucket of ANYTHING thrown at them!!

Warren Lake
09-29-2022, 6:37 PM
Did you write "you are either with US or you are against us"

Ah no im neither, but you are telling me im one of the other.

Our guy is a master at answering questions with answers from someone else's question from three weeks before, different question of course. Dont get me started. Radio station I listen to has torn strips off for years. We all have the right to question stuff just many dont care and most are too busy just with their own lives and al lthe ways they try and divide us. Most of my life is spent trying to figure out how they got the caramilk into the cadbury bar.

Yes I agree Mel better word thanks, its like being called a conspiracy guy when you question 2 + 2 = 5. I fought city hall once, they made rules, I proved them wrong with their own rules, they made new rules, I proved then wrong and it went on for four years till a cheque was cut.

Id mention a thing in your history that didnt add up yet the whole world just carried on. Its so blatant that I dont get how no one gets it but that is the world. Listened to late night coast to coast many years and give Norrie lots of credit. Some great shows on many topics.

Oh and next time I need a speech written ill check with you. I type way to fast breeze in and out and dont proof read. Teel sorry for people that get emails from me as they likely have to hand them to someone else and ask what im on about.

Im still smiling from the arrow one, I was going to get the glasses nose and mustache one but I like your idea better.

Now im concerned you are always checking my spelling and grammar and and whatever else there is.

Lee DeRaud
09-29-2022, 9:33 PM
Agree on the aluminum foil last I heard they were even wondering if it helped with alzheimers.
Only if you make a hat out of it.
(But don't ask me if it's shiny-side out or in, I can never remember.)

Jack Frederick
09-29-2022, 11:22 PM
Oh, I saw the title of this thread and it scared me half to death. We recently went to Stash-it bags for quite a lot of things, cheese included.

Mel Fulks
09-29-2022, 11:31 PM
Warren, years ago they were thinking that aluminum might CAUSE Alzheimer’s. The “major break -through” was people stopped using
the colorful aluminum “ice-tea” glasses and so they became cheap, the people who bought them at yard sales and recycled them must have
made a cool fortune . Needs to be investigated.

Mark Hennebury
09-30-2022, 12:20 AM
I can help solve all of your problems Warren;

Don't get a wife, Buy less cheese and more booze..... you can thank me later.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/health/drinking-two-pints-a-day-lower-risk-dementia-study-finds-b1028185.html

Bill Dufour
09-30-2022, 12:39 AM
For many foods wrapping closely to reduce air contact prevents drying out. If it is in a baggie I fold it over itself and press down while sealing to reduce the amount of air inside. I suppose that also reduces the number of mold spores in contact with the food.
The french are known to bury stuff in a tub of fat to reduce air contact.
When lord nelson died at sea his body was put into a barrel of whiskey to preserve it for the voyage home.
Bill D

Warren Lake
09-30-2022, 12:53 AM
Hi Mark

thanks for the wisdom. Do have one friend where the wife has been amazing. I was concerned on the marriage thing and she well proved me wrong. Ive told her and huge respect to her as well.

Here is an exact conversation with my 91 plus year old neighbour. I check up on her each day and help with anything on the property. Officially became my mom the night I lost mine. Knew each other and liked each other lots.

Things were a bit out of control juggling a bit too much and she says "you need a wife" I say "mail order Bride from China?" She says "no Philippines" I say "so she is a wife for now then cause im old she transitions into caregiver?" She laughs knowing how many great caregivers are here in homes from the Philippines. Past talking with one neighbour of my parents in the city who is a care giver from the Phillipines she told me that they have a shortage of caregivers over there as so many have come here. Hillarious. Still pondering the wife thing. I hate to rush into things.

Mark I actually dont buy cheese. Do have one chunk of Parmesano regiano that lasts forever grated on salads or odd time spagehtti. Two hunks of cheese showed up here after cutting the neighbours lawn. They gave me a ride on mower a few years ago and i wasnt bright enough to realize that they fooled me into cutting their lawn :)

ill check the beer thing out though, dont think id be pulled over on the mower unless he was on a horse. Mountie maybe?

posted this one past or only part of it, im old enough to forget stuff and watch it again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SO0M_LtkG_0

Stan Calow
09-30-2022, 9:36 AM
Using containers takes up too much space.

Jim Becker
09-30-2022, 9:40 AM
Not a housewife, don't play one on TV, but I'm the person who cooks all the meals and takes care of all the food in our home. I personally prefer to wrap unless the food product is going into an airtight container, such as "real" Tupperware or equivalent.

Mike Soaper
09-30-2022, 10:17 AM
"Press'n Seal" seals better than cling wrap for me.

Scott Winners
09-30-2022, 10:20 AM
Forgive if this was mentioned, I got to scanning somewhere deep in page one.

What I found at my house is handling the bare cheese is the leading cause of spoilage. When I get a one pound block I wash my hands and cut it into three blocks. Two go into a ziploc bag with the factory packaging removed, and pushed to the back of the fridge. The remaining block gets partially eaten and then the remainder goes into a smaller bag at the front of the fridge. Works for us. I try to be conscious of plastic waste, but I am also aware of food prices.

Warren Lake
09-30-2022, 2:24 PM
lots of good info thanks. Seems no matter what the saran wrap thing is still important. On oranges or halves and other stuff I see no reason as they get consumed same day they do fine. The cheese donation is rare I really dont buy it other than the one chunk that is grated over salads. All good. Next thing to figure out is the herbs in the garden Rosemary Tyhme two types of oregano and parsley want them out before it gets too cold so its wash and freeze and likely the bags people mention then suck air out even with a straw. Past I used to put the stuff in glass jars, it freezes and is a bit hard to get out at times. All those herbs grew well this year and really wish there was a green house for year round.

Stan Calow
09-30-2022, 2:27 PM
Warren, I've never done this, but I've heard of putting fresh herbs into ice cube trays, and making ice cubes out of them. Just thaw or drop a cube into your dish when needed.

Warren Lake
09-30-2022, 2:31 PM
thanks here is maybe a stupid question but how do you actually deal with them? Past when I cut rosemary I left each stem as is and into the bag or jar., Cooking time I either pulled all the little guys off the branch chopped them up then years later just put the whole branch in the stew and took it out when done, All the flavor got in just not the little chopped up guys. basic stuff i know but time to up my monty python chef repertoire.

Lee DeRaud
09-30-2022, 2:55 PM
Warren, I've never done this, but I've heard of putting fresh herbs into ice cube trays, and making ice cubes out of them. Just thaw or drop a cube into your dish when needed.
That would seem to have potential for some very odd tasting drinks. :)

Stan Calow
09-30-2022, 5:44 PM
That would seem to have potential for some very odd tasting drinks. :)

Only the first one would be odd.

Warren Lake
09-30-2022, 5:50 PM
depend on what Herb you put in.

Bill Dufour
09-30-2022, 6:24 PM
I have heard the crooks hide the stolen diamond in the ice cube tray in their home freezer. Cops never check it.
Bill D

Mike Soaper
09-30-2022, 8:34 PM
I've used Bloxygen (heavier than air argon gas) in opened paint cans to push out air which would cause the paint to skim over/cure. Seems there's similar products for keeping wine in opened bottles from going bad, might work for cheese too. No idea if it's cost effective

Perry Hilbert Jr
09-30-2022, 8:59 PM
Funny actually says I who just this very afternoon found an unopened package of Stilton Cheese in the large chest freezer with a best if used by date of 2016. Still tasty.

Alan Lightstone
10-01-2022, 9:06 AM
We've actually discovered that food wrapped in aluminum foil lasts much longer than food wrapped with Saran Wrap or in Tupperware containers. FWIW.

Warren Lake
10-01-2022, 2:23 PM
we will check up on you over the next few days. Hope your Will is up to date. Just in case what type of machinery do you have?

Bruce Wrenn
10-03-2022, 9:28 PM
I've used Bloxygen (heavier than air argon gas) in opened paint cans to push out air which would cause the paint to skim over/cure. Seems there's similar products for keeping wine in opened bottles from going bad, might work for cheese too. No idea if it's cost effectivePropane from an unlit torch does the same thing, and is a LOT CHEAPER. Quit buying Saran wrap from grocery store years ago. Instead bought a 3000' roll for BJ's. May have to buy a second before I die.

Warren Lake
10-07-2022, 12:37 PM
when I labelled this house wife question it was meant with respect. Thankless job in many cases.

So since your replies our temps here have changed and see my basil got blackened from low temps one night. Cut that off and took one plant out and few more still out there. Because of someones post on the ice cube tray thing ive done what you said only with some small rubbermaids. Past basil in bags it turned black. I think you are supposed to blanche it, I didnt look it up and dont need more work right now. I took the good quality small Rubbermaid containers I have filled it with leaves and then with water and froze. Will do some more today, If I was smart id mix Basil rosemary, thyme, parsley and Oregano then its one small container drop in and all is there for the large pot of stuff I usually make that lasts maybe 10-12 days.

Id never heard of the put in water thing and so maybe it will work well for the basil and not blacken. I will have to deal with a larger block of stuff rather than the ice cube thing but it is a large size pot. Sure a block of herbs too large can be cut. ive cut squash on my bandsaw past not ideal but my bandsaw smelled nice for months after. Friend loaned his bandsaw to a friend who ended up cutting frozen fish wiht it. Told me he tried to clean it then threw it out.

ILl look up blanching and see whats involved.