PDA

View Full Version : More Practice.....

Corey Hallagan
01-23-2006, 10:08 PM
Well I have spent the last 2 weekends praciting turning little pen blank sized pieces of wood. Attached is a photo that shows my progress :rolleyes: .
The item to the rear was my first turned item. I had intended to step up and turn a round piece into a dowel. Didn't work out that way, I definitely wasn't in charge of the tools that day.
The middle item is the last of several pieces I turned last weekend. The plan was to just practice with the tools and get used to the feel and how they work. I started turning these down or trying to turn them down to a dowel. The item shown is the last one I did that day. I definitely started to get the feel of the skew chisel and how to attack the wood with it.
The near item is one of several pieces I turned this weekend. First I turned another dowel, then I started turning down to a dowell and practicing beads and coves. The last one I did I turned down to the dowel, then laid out the makings of a spindle, where I wanted the beads and coves. It went very well.
I know it's not much but I am one to move slow and take things in stages and I felt like I wanted to force myself to have a structured objective in my practice. Anyway, what yah think. More practice!!!

Thanks,
Corey

Jerry Vander Till
01-23-2006, 10:27 PM
Corey,

Great Start! I'm moving along at about the same pace as you. I am taking a pen turning class in February so I'm not going to try any pen sized stuff until then.

Keep it up, you're definitely moving forward!!!

Bill Stevener
01-23-2006, 10:46 PM
Well I have spent the last 2 weekends praciting turning little pen blank sized pieces of wood. Attached is a photo that shows my progress :rolleyes: .

Anyway, what yah think. More practice!!!

Thanks,
Corey

Hi Corey,

If I think back some, which is getting harder day by day, to around 1957--8 ??, my imaginative turnings looked very similar, as I think just about everyone else's did. If we all had saved the practice pieces and threw them in a big pile, no one would be able to pick out there work.

As far as practice goes, every day on the lathe is practice.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

ROBERT SCHUMAN
01-23-2006, 10:53 PM
If those sre are your first atempts you are doing well.If you want repetitive tasks to practice your skills use your skew cut in the shoulder,grab the parting tool make a flat a bit to the side,then cut to the line at a angle with your skew.with your guoge make a shallow trough ,then repeat.

Corey Hallagan
01-24-2006, 12:34 AM
Thanks fellas! Practice practice practice. Not possible for me to practice every day but I do everyday I get a chance.

Corey

Andy Hoyt
01-24-2006, 1:23 AM
Them are collector's items Corey! Yer gittin' it done!

Bob Noles
01-24-2006, 6:13 AM
Corey,

You're coming along great..... at least your beads and coves are deliberate which is more than I can say for mine :eek:

John Hart
01-24-2006, 6:38 AM
Well Done Corey....Everyday you'll get better, smoother, more consistent, greater definition....and thats what makes it so addicting! (well, at least for me it does):)

Keith Burns
01-24-2006, 8:17 AM
Great job Cory:) Patience is a virtue, wish I had some:D

John Miliunas
01-24-2006, 8:39 AM
Corey, it certainly doesn't take a trained eye to see the fantastic progress you're making! Me thinks you're going about it in a very commendable fashion and the results are showing that! Keep practicing, as it's obviously having positive results! :) :cool:

Corey Hallagan
01-24-2006, 8:43 AM
Thanks guys! I appreciate it. Sorry for the crappy photo. I had to part with some good tool money for a new camera that would work with the new PC. Still learning it!

Corey

Jim Sample
01-24-2006, 9:13 AM
Corey

You are doing great, it will come fast from now on, the skew chisel is a "bear". Go get Alan Laser's video on the Skew Chisel, the dark side, it will help understand the bevel concept. Keep on practicing.

Jim Sample

Jim Dunn
01-24-2006, 9:15 AM
Very nice Corey. Guess I'd better get back to practising my straight work as I can't turn anything that nice.

Don Orr
01-24-2006, 1:27 PM
Corey, those are great ! I love to see people just simply practice-exactly like you have done. Get the feel of the tools, see how they cut, try different angles, etc. Nothing better to improve skills than practice-and classes, reading, demos, workshops, websites, videos, etc. Keep up the good work and remember; "Every cut is a practice cut til the final cut".

Take care, Don

Bernie Weishapl
01-24-2006, 4:50 PM
Corey you are doing good my friend. Once you get that skew down you will find the rest are easy. Keep up the good work. It will pay off.

Mark Cothren
01-24-2006, 5:07 PM
Lookin' good, Corey! Keep it up!

Ernie Nyvall
01-25-2006, 11:23 PM
Go get-em Corey. Doing good.

Ernie

Pat Jeddy
01-25-2006, 11:51 PM
Good Job!! Keep on going!:)