PDA

View Full Version : Supermarket receipts.

Walter Plummer
09-26-2022, 3:15 PM
Why,why,why do I need 24" of paper receipt and two coupons for products we never buy when all I purchased was one loaf of bread? Yes I measured it to see how close I guessed.:D

Jamie Buxton
09-26-2022, 3:50 PM
Why do need a retail receipt of any sort? It is mostly just something you throw away.

John K Jordan
09-26-2022, 3:51 PM
Why,why,why do I need 24" of paper receipt and two coupons for products we never buy when all I purchased was one loaf of bread? Yes I measured it to see how close I guessed.:D

I tear off the part I want to save and give the rest back to the clerk.

Rick Potter
09-26-2022, 3:53 PM
Because a lot of cautious people like me keep CC receipts and check them against the monthly CC bill. If it is super long, I also tear off the unnecessary part.

Doug Garson
09-26-2022, 4:28 PM
More and more stores give you the option of receiving your receipt by email to save paper.

Dave Zellers
09-26-2022, 4:28 PM
Many stores now ask if I want a receipt before they print it out. That's the solution.

Matt Day
09-26-2022, 4:49 PM
24”? That’s nothing. Have you been to CVS lately? They give you like 4’ of receipt for a pack of gum.

Jerome Stanek
09-26-2022, 6:08 PM
I was at CVS this morning and they offered 3 or 4 options for a receipt

Jim Koepke
09-26-2022, 6:13 PM
When I asked this at my local Post Office, the reply was, "we have paper mills in this town."

Someone, somewhere, somehow convinced the retail world that longer is better.

My grocery receipts are saved since they have a code on them to fill out a questionnaire that gives me 50 "fuel points." Every 100 fuel points reduces the price of gas 10¢ a gallon up to $1 a gallon discount. My truck takes 40 gallons when empty so it can save a bit.

jtk

Ken Fitzgerald
09-26-2022, 7:00 PM
I always get paper receipt because it takes forever to enter our email address on their keypad.

Curt Harms
09-29-2022, 10:01 AM

I'll bet 18" of it was advertising or some sort of promotion.

Mike Henderson
09-29-2022, 2:31 PM
I like the way Home Depot does it. I register my credit card with them, and when I buy something there, they email me a receipt. I don't need to enter anything at the checkout.

I keep all my receipts on my computer.

Mike

Brian Elfert
09-30-2022, 10:20 AM
Many stores now ask if I want a receipt before they print it out. That's the solution.

A lot of places that ask if you want a receipt just throw the receipt in the trash. Convenience stores only print a receipt if you ask because almost nobody wants a receipt. Home Depot still prints a receipt if you ask for an emailed receipt. A few places like Fleet Farm are starting to offer text or email receipts instead of paper.

Brian Elfert
09-30-2022, 10:22 AM
One local grocery chain sells advertising on the back of the receipts so they have an incentive to have longer receipts. The ads are mostly for local places and you'll have different advertising in different parts of the local metro area.

Andrew More
09-30-2022, 2:20 PM
I like the way Home Depot does it. I register my credit card with them, and when I buy something there, they email me a receipt. I don't need to enter anything at the checkout.

This! Also to address Ken's concern, HD appears to link your CC with your email address, so you just have to enter it once, and after that it just magically happens. I think Lowes does the same. Anyway, it's very nice to have all my receipts in email, since I can think search it to determine when I bought something.

Jason Roehl
09-30-2022, 5:03 PM
I have a photo on my phone from about 10 years ago. It’s of my wife with a CVS receipt when she was all-in on whatever their SuperSaver program was. The receipt is about 6’6”—she’s 5’6”, and she’s holding one end above her head, and the other is touching the floor.

I used to keep all receipts, now I only even take ones that are for something that I might need to return (like tools).

Stan Calow
09-30-2022, 5:47 PM
I like the way Home Depot does it. I register my credit card with them, and when I buy something there, they email me a receipt.

After multiple hackings (Lowes, HD, Target, etc.) I really try to avoid any realtor having my CC and my address in their computer.

Mike Henderson
09-30-2022, 7:51 PM
After multiple hackings (Lowes, HD, Target, etc.) I really try to avoid any realtor having my CC and my address in their computer.

To each his own. Home Depot has had my credit card for a bunch of years and it has not been compromised yet. I weigh that possibility against the advantage of having all my receipts in electronic form.

Mike

Brian Elfert
10-03-2022, 11:13 AM

Why would they give you coupons for stuff you already buy? You're already buying those items and probably at full price. Many stores track your purchase history via your credit/debit card or rewards card and then give you coupons for other brands of items you already buy.

Dave Lehnert
10-04-2022, 5:29 PM
24”? That’s nothing. Have you been to CVS lately? They give you like 4’ of receipt for a pack of gum.

https://www.amazon.com/Receipt-fleece-spring-professionally-lettering/dp/B07NF96R47

Bruce Wrenn
10-04-2022, 10:47 PM
Local grocery chain , quarterly, sends me coupons on the things I buy most. Not once has there been a coupon for anything that I ever bought!