PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on oak and a jet lathe

Gordon Achterhof
01-23-2006, 7:43 PM
Well, I just finished the rough turning of an oak bowl. Oak is something else. It was wet and I thought that it would turn rather easy. I don't think so. I had to stop and sharpen the tools about every 20 minutes. Hard stuff but easier that dry oak. The bowl came out just shy of 9 inches in diameter and I found that the 1236 jet that is suposed to do 12 inches is a bit of a misnomer. At 9 inches the tool rest base will not fit under the bowl so that you can get the rest up close. Rest is also very weak. I did not break it but it gave a few times. It will be time for a new lathe when dollars permit.

Actually, I learned a lot and it came out better than I thought it would. No catches or bo-bo's. Luck. It is coated with wax and is going into a bag tomorrow and thrown under the tablesaw to age. Going to have to cut some off the next slab so that it will fit better and start again. Fun and games........

Cheers
Gordon

Jim Becker
01-23-2006, 7:51 PM
Oak is probably not one of those species that most folks "prefer" to turn...it can be nasty even when wet if the grain is shifting a lot. It's open pore structure also likes to chip out if you it it "just right". But like any wood, it can also provide some wonderful results. If the price is right... ;)

BTW, you will likely be reminded that your oak bowl is not real until we can see it...watch out for the picture police!! :D