PDA

View Full Version : first project post

john mclane
01-23-2006, 7:39 PM
Since I am relatively new and had asked questions on this project, I figured it was time to post my current project: a shaker style blanket/quilt holder.
This project was all tenon and mortising with cherry. The bottom mortises of the uprights were epoxied in. The stain was cherry with a wipe on urethane and then a furniture wax.

To be self critical since I am trying to gradually learn and apply various techniques.:
1. I did not have plans and ended up recutting the cross pieces since they were too long (I measured to the edge of the mortise hole rather then to take into account the shoulder when I did my own drawings and measurements.
2. A couple of the through mortises were wider on one side then the other. I need to be more patient in the last steps of trimming and also try to do a wedge on the tenon
3. The 1/8" square peg was too small to do effectively. I think next time I will do a 1/4"
4. I need to pay more attention to the stain I purchase (I ended up with a stain with a lot of suspended pigment; when I did the test piece it was way too dark. I cloth filtered, stained and then immediately spent time wiping off. It actually came out pretty good with no blotching.

All in all it was fun.

Jim Becker
01-23-2006, 7:40 PM
VERY nice job, John!! That's a handy piece to have around, too. Thanks for sharing it!

Bob Noles
01-23-2006, 7:47 PM
John,

As Jim said... a nice piece to have around for sure. Looks like you got some really extensive jointery practice on that project.

Nice work and thanks for showing it.

Chris Dodge
01-23-2006, 7:56 PM
I like the joints! Good job!

Don Baer
01-23-2006, 8:01 PM
Great work, I am sure that LOYL will use it for years to come. Reminds me of the time LOML asked me to build her a quilt rack. She wanted one with a drawer in the bottom. I said "Sure, No problem, Whats a quilt Rack ?"

:confused: