PDA

View Full Version : Porter Cable Router Recall

Matt Meiser
01-23-2006, 7:25 PM
Just noticed this on Porter Cable's site. They have announced a recall on 890 series routers. More information here (http://www.porter-cable.com/index.asp?e=5983&p=1009092).

Steve Clardy
01-23-2006, 8:57 PM
Just noticed this on Porter Cable's site. They have announced a recall on 890 series routers. More information here (http://www.porter-cable.com/index.asp?e=5983&p=1009092).

Well I guess I'm glad I do not have those models. I have the 690, 7500 series routers. The old reliables.:)

Jack Norfleet
01-23-2006, 9:14 PM
At least the factory service center is only 5 miles from my house.

Bob Reeve
01-23-2006, 10:45 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I guess I will be visiting the repair center. I guess if I am going I hope they have a deal on a laminate trimmer.

Bob

Dave Carey
01-25-2006, 10:00 AM
Matt - Thanks for the alert. Unfortunately my router qualifies. The nearest service center is 40 miles away but after only gentle prodding, PC "volunteered" to send me a label to take care of the shipping.

tod evans
01-25-2006, 10:02 AM
310,690, 7518, tried-n-true like steve said......thanks for the heads up matt....02 tod

Brad Townsend
01-25-2006, 10:09 AM
Thanks Matt. I called them today and they are sending me a call tag to ship mine in at their expense. I only used it in the table and I have another one I can use, but it's still kind of a pain to go without it.

Dan Owen
01-25-2006, 10:40 AM
I bought an 890 last year and I didn't have to wait for the recall. I had it back to my retailer within two weeks and bought the Bosch 1617evs. The Porter Cable was extremely disappointing to say the least.

Dan Owen

Larry Crim
01-25-2006, 12:12 PM
I have one that is on the recall unfortunatly it has several other problems and wish they would just replace it. I should have sent it back right out of the box. It is by far the worst PC product I have ever bought, Motor insert was froze in the base when I got it due to poor machining and the plunge base walks on the down stroke so bad I could barely use it but I needed to get some jobs done so I made the best of it I could. Hopfully the repair center will just replace the whole unit.
Larry

Michael Gibbons
01-25-2006, 4:27 PM
Thanks for the headsup Matt. Luckily(?) the service center is only a few miles from my work so I'll just make a detour and drop it off. If I'm blessed maybe they can fix or check it while I wait.

Mike

Ron Robinson
01-25-2006, 4:59 PM
I also happen to have one of the affected routers. I called the factory service center in Columbus, OH and was told to bring in the motor for a replacement.

Ron

Michael Ballent
01-25-2006, 5:13 PM
I have a friend that has one of these and I will let him know... I took a look at the link you provided and I find it funny that the links to the other languages are written in English as in "click here for Spanish" and "click here for French"

I would hate to be a person that only spoke one of those languages and was not sure what I was looking at...

Bob Nieman
01-25-2006, 8:19 PM
I didn't see this (or get my email from Amazon) early enough to call. The nearest Factory Service Center is 280 miles away (don't know how their software determines mileage. it is better than Woodfinders (which must be air miles), but greatly exaggerates the distances.

I had money I wanted to spend and this router came out, seemingly answering my prayers (very small shop, limited budget) from a company with a good reputation. I waited for reviews but couldn't wait long enough. I haven't used it a lot, haven't noticed some of the problems. I never had a plunge router before, but this seems awfully stiff. I still like it (miles better than my craftsman), but the recall is discouraging.

Dan Mages
01-25-2006, 8:52 PM
Yup. Just got the email from Amazon.com about my router. I will have to dig around the garage to see if mine is effected.

Dan

Matt Meiser
01-25-2006, 8:58 PM
310,690, 7518, tried-n-true like steve said......thanks for the heads up matt....02 tod

I have 2 of the 690's and a Dewalt 621, but I figured there were a lot of folks on here who had the newer models. I was there looking for something else, but noticed the recall info.

Ellen Benkin
01-27-2006, 9:17 PM
I received a recall notice via Amazon.com, which is where I purchased the router. I am amazed that they have the database and interest to forward the recall notice!

I called PC and had to leave a message because all the lines were overloaded. Got a call back this morning at 7:35 am. I reminded the PC caller that she needed to be aware of the time difference between her in Memphis and me in LA. Anyway, she gave me the option of shipping the motor to the service center or taking it in myself. PC would pay for the UPS shipping, but I had to find a box, box it up, and get UPS to pick it up. I figured that in all that time I could take it in myself, even if it's 25 miles away. She said the repair would take about 10-15 minutes but we agreed that it was unlikely I could wait for it to be done the moment I arrived. Either I can go back and pick it up, or PC will pay for the repair center to ship it back to me. It's a pain to take care of this, but PC will pay for everything except my aggravation. But, much better safe than sorry.

Dave Lehnert
01-28-2006, 12:35 AM
Glad I purchased the Dewalt 618 kit. I have owned it for two years now and like it better each time I use it.

Richard Holub
01-28-2006, 3:34 AM
OK folks, I just bought a new PC 892 for my table:confused: . The serial number is above the recalled range so my router is not in for the recall. Nevertheless, did I buy something naughty:eek: ? I can still bring it back...

Michael Gibbons
01-28-2006, 9:54 AM
I'm just happy that Matt had seen that recall notice and put the post up. I took the motor in to the service center and I should be getting a replacement delivered top my door in about a week.

Bernie Schaner
01-28-2006, 10:29 AM
I took mine to the Orlando area last Tuesday which is about an hour away from me. The guy at that place did not know about the recall so I gave him a copy of the recall notice I had extracted from the Porter Cable site.

Friday, yesterday, a new motor arrived at my place via UPS.

I had purchased it from Amazon but have not received any notice from them nor did I get a notice from Porter Cable. Thanks to the web I found out about it and the issue is closed with myself now, I hope.

Take care,
Bernie