PDA

View Full Version : Woodworking YouTubers?

Jason White
09-21-2022, 10:27 AM
Curious to know who some of your favorite woodworkers on YouTube are.

The algorithm seems to hide a lot of the lesser known folks, which is a shame as I'm sure there are some great ones who just haven't been discovered yet.

Keegan Shields
09-21-2022, 11:07 AM
I've found you have to get away from the popular DIY channels to get the lesser known ones to pop up in your feed. Here are a few I like:

Some lesser known channels:
Dylan Iwakuni
Ishitani Furniture
Kobeomsuk furniture
leaf-works
SQUARERULE FURNITURE
KASHO Furniture Studio

Some better known channels:
Canadian Woodworks
Andy Rawls
parillaworks

Looking forward to some new recommendations from others!

Richard Coers
09-21-2022, 11:12 AM
I have very strong opinions about TV and YouTube woodworkers and I will keep most of it to myself. I will say it's my opinion that if you have less than 5 years of experience building furniture, you don't qualify to teach (I mean entertain).

Prashun Patel
09-21-2022, 11:14 AM
I like the videos where people don't show themselves talking too much - even better, not talking at all.

Kobeomsuk and Ishitani are calming and inspiring.

Edward Weber
09-21-2022, 11:25 AM
I have very strong opinions about TV and YouTube woodworkers and I will keep most of it to myself. I will say it's my opinion that if you have less than 5 years of experience building furniture, you don't qualify to teach (I mean entertain).

I share Richard's sentiment on this.

Thanks for the links Keegan, there are one or two I'm not familiar with

Derek Cohen
09-21-2022, 11:39 AM
I share Richard's sentiment on this…

I DEEPLY share Richard’s sentiment on this!

YouTube has developed into a race to the bottom, where it makes no difference what you post as long as it has a catchy title to act as Click Bait. The entertainers have deeply buried the real woodworkers who have a valuable lesson to offer. It is now all about money. Skills are digital and do not lie in the tools. Would you watch my videos if I wore tights? :eek:

Regards from Perth

Derek

Keegan Shields
09-21-2022, 11:41 AM
Prashun - that's the style I enjoy as well. Channels where its clear the person has deep skill and earns their living making furniture, not being a content creator.

Richard - very fair points - give the channels Prashun suggests a try. They are the opposite of the obnoxious content creator types with high subscriber counts.

I always pick up some new techniques, a new way to approach an operation, or neat design elements.

Edwin Santos
09-21-2022, 11:45 AM
If you want to see innovative jig and toolmaking, check out JSK-Koubou and prepare to be amazed.
There is no dialogue in his videos.

Richard Mellor
09-21-2022, 11:48 AM
If you are interested in finish trim carpentry then I suggest, Insider Carpentry - Spencer Lewis

https://www.youtube.com/c/InsiderCarpentry

Scott Winter
09-21-2022, 11:58 AM
If you love just watching them work here is my favorite:

https://www.youtube.com/c/YoungJe

He does amazing work building furniture and hand tools.

Andrew Hughes
09-21-2022, 12:32 PM
I submit these guys.
This might be one of the first video of woodworking. American talent right here.:)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5adk_8_4JEw&list=WL&index=4

Mike Henderson
09-21-2022, 12:37 PM
Does anyone here have a YouTube Channel that they post tutorials to?

Mike

derek labian
09-21-2022, 1:22 PM
Curious to know who some of your favorite woodworkers on YouTube are.

The algorithm seems to hide a lot of the lesser known folks, which is a shame as I'm sure there are some great ones who just haven't been discovered yet.

I think you have it wrong. The algorithm isn't hiding lesser known folks, its elevating popular content. At some point content is surfaced to a test set of users, and depending on how those users react, it will scale or it won't. If some creators are not being highlighted as much, its because not as many people responding positively or they haven't hit a scale/inflection point. It's also positive it's an overall smaller audience segment. "Click-Bait" does work which is why it happens.

As far as a race to the bottom, I couldn't disagree more. YouTube content in general is continuing to improve in quality due to the large number of ad dollars flowing in.

People like different types of content, and some people will like a lot of face time, while others (as per this thread) like silent demonstration.

I think there's room for a lot of different takes and types of content, just subscribe to the ones you like.

Keegan, nice suggestions.

Clifford McGuire
09-21-2022, 1:22 PM

The thing that annoys me is when the YouoTuber takes on sponsorships. Then they are beholden to the company and lose credibility.

Oh, and then they go from woodworking to "TOP 10 MUST HAVE TOOLS FOR UNDER $25!!!!!".

It's a shame.

Jacob Mac
09-21-2022, 2:10 PM
Young Je is a favorite of mine.

Craft supplies USA for wood turning tutorials

I like Rob Cosman for hand tool setup

Darrel Peart for G&G and general craftsmanship.

Edward Weber
09-21-2022, 2:11 PM
As far as a race to the bottom, I couldn't disagree more. YouTube content in general is continuing to improve in quality due to the large number of ad dollars flowing in.

What part is continuing to improve in quality? (this is a serious question)

I see production values and the sponsored tools go up in quality but not the actual content.
Just because ad revenue is up, it does not directly translate into better or higher quality content.
There are MANY channels out there that have clearly spent more time, effort and money on the filming of the video than in the content.

I, for one, would much rather watch a one or two camera simple production of a skilled presenter/craftsman than a Hollywood production of some "content creator" using tools he has no clue how to use.

JMO

Rod Dilyard
09-21-2022, 2:31 PM
These guys are amazing: https://www.youtube.com/c/Doucetteandwolfefurniture

Roger Feeley
09-21-2022, 2:32 PM
The thing that annoys me is when the YouoTuber takes on sponsorships. Then they are beholden to the company and lose credibility.

Oh, and then they go from woodworking to "TOP 10 MUST HAVE TOOLS FOR UNDER $25!!!!!".

It's a shame.
check out “Tips from a Shipwright“ where Ryobi sends Louie an electric plane. He proceeds to tear it apart to fix all the things that he finds wrong.

Prashun Patel
09-21-2022, 2:41 PM

That's not always the case. I will put in a plug for maybe the oldest of them all: Wood Talk. I really think Mark has done a great job attempting to keep it real. Rockler sponsors them, but it's clear that he is not biased to push their products. He's clear about when he's advertising. Now, the podcast annoys me for other reasons (usually because they always whine about all their haters) but media sponsorship bias is not one of my beefs with them.

Bryan Lisowski
09-21-2022, 2:47 PM
The biggest thing that bothers me about YT woodworkers is when they want to insert stupid pop culture references or trying to be subtly crass. If you are talented enough, just show the work or your skills. Unless you are really skilled do try being a teacher, also don’t show unsafe practices.

I don’t mind the sponsorships, because a lot of these guys are running a business. It takes time to film, edit and publish videos, so if that gives them a little security I’m ok with that. A friend does YT on the side, if he could do a simple project in 4 hours, it may actually take 2-3 times that, when you factor setting up the shot, and editing all the footage.

derek labian
09-21-2022, 2:53 PM
I believe you are referencing the phenomenon (alleged) of people starting with production and woodworking coming second. I'm not sure who you are referencing but I'm sure that exists.

There are MANY channels out there that have clearly spent more time, effort and money on the filming of the video than in the content.

I'd have to take your word for that. I would say that in general, filming anything is going to add 2-4x to the time to accomplish it. So on its face, I would agree that most YouTube Woodworking channels are spending more time on the video than the actual product. There's a reason a 20 second television scene can take 8 hours to film.

Take a look at the channels posted above, they are very high quality and not gimmicky as far as I can tell.

Dylan Iwakuni
Ishitani Furniture
Kobeomsuk furniture
leaf-works
SQUARERULE FURNITURE
KASHO Furniture Studio

Overall there is more bandwidth, the tools are better, the quality is better, and there are more choices. Seems like its moving in the right direction to me and that is my point.

"Quality", in how you reference it, is subjective. I believe most people want the creator in the video to talk and build a "Human" connection. Entertainment value doesn't mean content is void of knowledge or education. In any event, it's a personal preference.

I also not blind to the general point being made either: There are a lot of channels that are really about eliciting 1) clicks, 2) engagement, and 3) product sales. It's still personal preference and its easy enough to avoid anyone you dislike.

"production of some "content creator" using tools he has no clue how to use."

I don't see much content where the content creator has "no clue" how to use a tool. It is true that there are all different skill levels though. You don't have to be a master craftsman with 20 years experience in a trade to make informative or useful content. It's just targeted at a different audience/skill level.

derek labian
09-21-2022, 3:06 PM
I don’t mind the sponsorships, because a lot of these guys are running a business. It takes time to film, edit and publish videos, so if that gives them a little security I’m ok with that. A friend does YT on the side, if he could do a simple project in 4 hours, it may actually take 2-3 times that, when you factor setting up the shot, and editing all the footage.

I agree, however I've noticed some choices are clearly driven by sponsorship necessities. So anyone who is sponsored you have to take advice with a grain of salt. I think that is Clifford's point.

I will put in a plug for maybe the oldest of them all: Wood Talk. I really think Mark has done a great job attempting to keep it real. Rockler sponsors them, but it's clear that he is not biased to push their products.

I think this is a great example of the above point. Marc Spagnola I think does a pretty good job disclosing his relationships, but that doesn't mean he doens't have similar conflicts. For example, his Powermatic sponsorship ended and now he's buying Felder and SCM equipment. WoodTalk is sponsored by Rockler now and he speaks highly of it, but he rarely goes there (which he's discussed on past WT). He also has more recently mentioned buying wood at Rockler when he has made a literal "cringe" sound stating "don't do that" before they were sponsored.

At the end of the day, it's his livelihood and like anyone being sponsored, they are beholden to some extent.

On a side note, I do really enjoy Wood Talk, but mostly for the entertainment value.

Patrick Kane
09-21-2022, 3:33 PM
I used to love youtube channels years ago; however, it seems most channels cater to the DIY/beginner crowd, because that is the most populous demographic. Their capabilities all appear to be similar, and that is not too skillful or well-equipped. I did watch a few of the Parilla(i think) videos, and i am intrigued. He seems to build more intensive products and i like his shop is fitted with more pro-level kit. I wish there were higher end channels with top tier shops putting out high end product. I have yet to stumble upon it yet.

Rob Luter
09-21-2022, 4:10 PM
There are a few I like to watch. I'm pretty selective though. I like to learn new things and new techniques. Cosman has some good tips. Ishitani Furniture is fun to watch. I've learned a couple things from Paul Sellers too. The Samurai Carpenter has a few good project videos as does the Third Coast Craftsman. FWW has a number of worthwhile videos up as well. Like others here, I have no use for the 900th guy to post a video on how to clean up a flea market plane or use water stones. Been there done that.

Alex Zeller
09-21-2022, 4:10 PM
Maybe it's time to add a section to SMC called "Woodworking videos" with several sections inside it. One for requesting videos and then sub categories like "furniture, cabinets, wood turning, cnc, etc". Between some of the very talented people here and the HELPFUL videos, like have been posted in this thread, you wouldn't need to search YT and deal with what's popular, not what's great.

Jim Becker
09-21-2022, 4:18 PM
Folks I watch include:

Matt Cremona
Bent's Woodworking
FourEyes Furniture
The WoodWhisperer
Andy Rawls
Bourbon Moth Woodworking
YouCanMakeThisToo
Mike Farrington
3x3Custom (Tamara)
Tim Sway
Michael Alm
Frank Howarth
Blacktail Studio
Jay Bates
Third Coast Craftsman
Crafted Workshop
lignum
Burls Art
Darrell Pert
RR Buildings

Edward Weber
09-21-2022, 5:46 PM
I believe you are referencing the phenomenon (alleged) of people starting with production and woodworking coming second. I'm not sure who you are referencing but I'm sure that exists.

I'd have to take your word for that. I would say that in general, filming anything is going to add 2-4x to the time to accomplish it. So on its face, I would agree that most YouTube Woodworking channels are spending more time on the video than the actual product. There's a reason a 20 second television scene can take 8 hours to film.

Take a look at the channels posted above, they are very high quality and not gimmicky as far as I can tell.

Overall there is more bandwidth, the tools are better, the quality is better, and there are more choices. Seems like its moving in the right direction to me and that is my point.

"Quality", in how you reference it, is subjective. I believe most people want the creator in the video to talk and build a "Human" connection. Entertainment value doesn't mean content is void of knowledge or education. In any event, it's a personal preference.

I also not blind to the general point being made either: There are a lot of channels that are really about eliciting 1) clicks, 2) engagement, and 3) product sales. It's still personal preference and its easy enough to avoid anyone you dislike.

I don't see much content where the content creator has "no clue" how to use a tool. It is true that there are all different skill levels though. You don't have to be a master craftsman with 20 years experience in a trade to make informative or useful content. It's just targeted at a different audience/skill level.

There's a lot to cover, I'll try to be short.
Yes it takes time to make good videos, when it starts to take too much time, the actual content can suffer.
When I said, some have no clue, I'm talking about the hundreds of times I've seen people almost lose a finger or similar from simply not understanding what they're doing. Just because no one gets hurt, doesn't mean it's safe to do. IMO many don't have enough knowledge/respect for their tools and it shows in how they use them, it is a difficult thing to explain. You can tell by body language more than anything.
No, you don't need to have 20+ years of experience, BUT you should have an idea of where you are in the grand scheme of things, a general understanding of what you know and don't know.
Those of us that do have decades of experience often see things differently (more critically) than the beginners precisely because we have that experience.
Watching someone cut corners or skip important information, it's frustrating to say the least. Then add to that the fawning comments of the subscribers, who simply don't know what they don't know.
Some content creators take on the personality that "I must be good, I'm popular, look at all the positive feedback I get"
This just reinforces mediocrity or a race to the bottom, as Derek Cohen wrote.
(They've also removed the thumbs down count from public view)

Keegan Shields
09-21-2022, 6:44 PM
Can we collectively move past complaining about the quality of the content on YouTube? Its not relevant to the question the OP was asking...

I'm excited to view some more recommendations people have! Keep 'em coming!

derek labian
09-21-2022, 6:51 PM
Matt Cremona

Something wonderful about watching him saw a log or learn how to put up a pole barn etc. He comes across as a very genuine person.

Jim Becker
09-21-2022, 7:43 PM
Something wonderful about watching him saw a log or learn how to put up a pole barn etc. He comes across as a very genuine person.
He's that way in conversation, too. Social, funny, thoughtful. He's been really busting his butt with the daily videos from the post frame barn build...working an entire day out there with Donavan and the others and then spending many hours editing video from four or five separate camera sources. He's only been doing that because he knows folks want to see it because they are truly interested. My singular concern with things I see is sometimes there is a little inattention to "stuff lying around" 'cause I'm very anal about not letting anything be in the way.

Tony Zona
09-21-2022, 7:57 PM
I pictured Derek in tights, and my mouse froze. It would not go to YouTube.

Phillip Mitchell
09-21-2022, 8:19 PM
Some of you might like Nick Pedulla’s channel - He’s in Sydney and I think it’s called Pedulla Studio. Basically no talking/voiceover, very nice pro shop, very high level custom commission work, beautiful design and execution.

Ishitani will always be my favorite, I think.

Adam Grund
09-21-2022, 9:00 PM
Can we collectively move past complaining about the quality of the content on YouTube? Its not relevant to the question the OP was asking...

I'm excited to view some more recommendations people have! Keep 'em coming!

I really enjoy Guy Dunlap (GuysWoodshop), though he took a position at an Indy company a few years ago and hasn’t put out much content since then. On Instagram he posts fairly regularly about what he’s building or a part of at work.
I like Sawyer Design too

Derek Cohen
09-21-2022, 9:07 PM
There is useful information found in furniture restorers, such as Scott Bennett/Fixing Furniture, and Thomas Johnson Antique Furniture Restoration.

Rob Cosman offers good, sound advice on furniture construction and traditional joinery, but one had to ignore the sales pitches.

Phil Lowe has a few videos on using handtools. He passed away a few years ago now, but must be ranked among the best teachers.

Sampson Boat Co. This is the restoration of a sailboat, and is filled with interesting joinery and working in out-of-square situations. Lots of power and handtool content. Highly recommended. Start at the beginning (about 3 years ago now) and you will be hooked!

Ishitani. A relaxing look at building Mid Century/Japanese influenced furniture with Western joinery using mostly power and some hand tools in a rural setting in Japan.

Doucette and Wolfe Furniture Makers. Stunning furniture, complex builds, inspiring power and hand tools, beautifully filmed.

Mike wanted to know if any of us here had a channel. I do, but it is for die-hards who will ignore my sex appeal and concentrate on the techniques I demonstrate. I imagine doing a search for my name would get you there. Don’t blame me - I warned you!

Regards from Perth

Derek

Gordon Dale
09-21-2022, 11:35 PM
I want to second Derek's shout-out for Sampson Boat Company. My wife and I have been watching it faithfully since the first episode (an episode is published every 2 weeks). The shipwright work is first rate, particularly the joinery. It's not a 'how to' channel. Basically it shows people building a large wooden boat. And it's utterly fascinating. I'd also like to point out that the project is financed almost entirely through the patronage of a huge world-wide YouTube audience. No YouTube, no boat. Other channels I enjoy (and I confess a preference for old time craftsmanship--must be my age): Engels Coach Shop; Thomas Johnson Antique Furniture Restoration; and, finally, from film shot in Ireland in the 70's, Old Irish Craftwork--I proudly count myself among their 815 subscribers. And, as mentioned by several others, I find watching Ishitani a meditative experience.

Stephen Rosenthal
09-22-2022, 12:03 AM
Channels I subscribe to:
Curtis Buchanan
Chester Spier
Doucette & Wolfe
Brian Boggs Handcrafted Furniture
Engel’s Coach Shop
Bench.Talk.101
Ken Parker Archtoppery
Elia Bizzarri
Peter Galbert
Mary May
Paul Hamler
David W
Frank Howarth
Norm Abrams New Yankee Workshop
This Old House
Roy Underhill The Woodwright’s Shop
Popular Woodworking (Christopher Schwarz episodes)
Fine Woodworking

Kevin Jenness
09-22-2022, 12:35 AM
When I used to work for a high budget design/build outfit I wished they would make a reality tv show out of it. The craftsmanship was worth filming, but the opera bouffe aspects of client and subcontractor relations and design development would have made a hit.

Rob Luter
09-22-2022, 7:11 AM
Another vote for Samson Boat Company, Engel's Coach Shop, and Thomas Johnson. Excellent content and no sales pitch of any kind.

Steve Eure
09-22-2022, 7:17 AM
I really don't have any favorites, but will say that I have weeded through a lot of what I call "Tool Whores". They do this to gain tools for themselves with very little content to offer. Then they all go to a "live" broadcast to answer questions that many times they know very little about. Who has time to watch such blather. I rather be out in the shop making something instead of wasting my time watching.

mike calabrese
09-22-2022, 9:01 AM
Here are some of mine. You have to check out Nick Zammeti link below. This guy does some way out stuff is funny as heck and does some great work with resin & wood.
Thanks all for your lists
mike calabrese

Great product reviews and general woodworking https://www.youtube.com/c/KatzMosesWoodworkingShop
MAYUKO really nice turned bowls https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOLZ7YdUWAg
NICK ZAMMETI this guy is CRAZY , very entertaining a great watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbdEzpeUBSI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2M3D5wst_pM
Earls small segment shop https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sjb6do-v6LI

Zachary Hoyt
09-22-2022, 9:34 AM
Reading this thread has been interesting. I have been thinking about doing a video series this winter showing all the steps of building a banjo, and reading what people like and don't like about different channels is helpful. I did a text and pictures version of this back in 2017 on Banjo Hangout, but now that I have moved and have better internet upload speeds I could join the 21st century. So far my YouTube channel has been solely used for demonstrating instruments I built, so customers can see if they like the sound before they buy, but it seems like it might be fun to try something more demanding.

Jim Becker
09-22-2022, 9:39 AM
Zachary, I think there is a lot of value in producing that kind of material if you can put the time and effort into it. It's not easy to get the "pace" sometimes and you have to also carefully decide what you absolutely need to show, what would be nice to show and what really isn't necessary for your intended audience. There's also the "live voice audio" vs voice over decision. That said, I'd watch in a heartbeat..even though I'm not a banjo guy, I enjoy learning about all kinds of instrument construction.

Mike Walsh
09-22-2022, 9:57 AM
I'll add Epic Woodworking/Tom McLaughlin and Squarerule Furniture with a +1 for Ishitani, Doucette & Wolfe, Kobeomsuk and Curtis Buchanan. Phil Lowe's "Art of Woodworking" series on Youtube is very good as are all of his videos on FWW

Edward Weber
09-22-2022, 11:10 AM
I'm happy and a little surprised at some of the channels listed. I thought I was the only one who watched some of them.
Here are some that I did not see listed, sorry if there are repeats. These sites are not for everyone but I always learn something even when it's not my favorite
here is a variety
https://www.youtube.com/c/WoodomainJeremyBroun/videos
https://www.youtube.com/c/MrChickadee/videos
https://www.youtube.com/c/WOODBRO%EC%9A%B0%EB%93%9C%EB%B8%8C%EB%A1%9C/videos
https://www.youtube.com/c/ShelterInstituteThinkBuildLive/videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCndbPrLVkLw-_ktD8N9h4hw/videos
https://www.youtube.com/c/%E7%BF%A0%E7%B4%85%E8%88%8Esuikoushya/videos
https://www.youtube.com/c/%EC%9A%B0%EB%93%9C%EB%A1%9C%EC%9D%B4%ED%98%84Woodr oLeeHyun%EB%AA%A9%EA%B3%B5TV/videos
https://www.youtube.com/c/FinishCarpentryTV/videos
https://www.youtube.com/user/twoodfrd/videos

I should add that I posted two slideshows for some woodturners years ago. These are simple step-by-step follow along photos of the segmented construction method I used.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Eweber007/videos
Maybe one day when I have more time and space I will make proper videos

Jason White
09-22-2022, 2:28 PM
So glad I asked this question. Thanks for all of the great recommendations, everybody!

Frank Necaise
09-22-2022, 8:28 PM
I watch both Rob Cosman (watched him live tonight) and Sampson Boat Co.

Doug Garson
09-23-2022, 1:22 AM
A few more to consider:
Pask Makes from Australia, both woodworking and metal working. https://www.youtube.com/c/PaskMakes
BlackTail Studios https://www.blacktailstudio.com/giveaway
WoodGears Matthias Wandel, mainly for his earlier shop made tools like bandsaws, not so much for recent posts https://www.youtube.com/c/Matthiaswandel
Next Level Carpentry, videos are a bit lengthy but informative https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=next+level+carpentry
Fisher's Shop, quirky sense of humor but some interesting builds https://www.youtube.com/c/FishersShop
KRTWood artistic woodworking https://www.youtube.com/user/krtwoodworking
Marius Hornburger, German precision https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn7lavsPdVGV0qmEEBT6NyA
Sawyer Design nothing simple https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClHbbcGtRkHMLwUwrn7eErQ
Hooked on Wood, mainly for chinese tool reviews https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuvjeMfKGqSoYc32Xk5MLfQ

brent stanley
09-23-2022, 7:54 AM
I'll echo the sentiment of others who say they've appreciated learning of some new channels here. I started a channel a while ago but don't try and make much Hollywood pizzaz with it, very low budget! I get so many questions about shaper tooling I use that it's sometimes more efficient to make a video for people to refer to than answer a lot of individual questions. It takes so much time to put together even my low budget, non-professional versions that I just don't have time to put together many. I am restarting the timberframe shop build thread though as I get a lot of questions about it.

I really do enjoy the process of making, but it takes up a lot more space than I anticipated and when I'm in the new shop it will be a lot easier.

Jeff Bartley
09-23-2022, 8:27 AM
Mr chickadee has some really cool builds, especially if you’re into Japanese style timber framing. No sponsors or talking or electricity, really interesting work.

I also really like the Sampson boat co vids. That project is doubly amazing to me because of the fact that it’s funded by YouTube. And he saved a boat that was destined to become mulch! It’s gonna be cool to see how his vids change once Tally Ho is in the water.

Jeff Bartley
09-23-2022, 8:28 AM
Your shaper vids are great Brent!

I'll echo the sentiment of others who say they've appreciated learning of some new channels here. I started a channel a while ago but don't try and make much Hollywood pizzaz with it, very low budget! I get so many questions about shaper tooling I use that it's sometimes more efficient to make a video for people to refer to than answer a lot of individual questions. It takes so much time to put together even my low budget, non-professional versions that I just don't have time to put together many. I am restarting the timberframe shop build thread though as I get a lot of questions about it.

I really do enjoy the process of making, but it takes up a lot more space than I anticipated and when I'm in the new shop it will be a lot easier.

brent stanley
09-23-2022, 8:42 AM
Your shaper vids are great Brent!

Thank you! I just got a big 100mm x 125mm (4"x5") MAN rated spiral block I am going to use for template milling the arches in some timberframed braces and will try and do a video on. Going to be a real time saver...

Monte Milanuk
09-23-2022, 9:02 AM
A few that I follow that I haven't seen listed are:

Frank's Workbench (little bit of silent build / ASMR, little bit of beginner instruction)
Eric Meyer Maker (mostly silent build / ASMR)
Stavros Gakos (silent build / ASMR, this guy makes some gorgeous wooden hand planes)

Edward Weber
09-23-2022, 10:47 AM
Mr chickadee has some really cool builds, especially if you’re into Japanese style timber framing. No sponsors or talking or electricity, really interesting work.

I also really like the Sampson boat co vids. That project is doubly amazing to me because of the fact that it’s funded by YouTube. And he saved a boat that was destined to become mulch! It’s gonna be cool to see how his vids change once Tally Ho is in the water.

He's funded by Patreon to a large extent, by people paying to watch exclusive content other than what's on youtube.
https://www.patreon.com/sampsonboatco

Michael Drew
09-23-2022, 11:12 AM
I'm a self taught carpenter, sort of.... Found this guy a couple years ago, watched his series on building a house and learned all kinds of things. https://www.youtube.com/c/essentialcraftsman

This guys does some pretty amazing things with Baltic birch plywood. All kinds of shop jigs, tools, whatever. https://www.youtube.com/c/PaosonLuthier

I like the Bourbon Moth too. He's humorous, and I get some good ideas watching some of his videos.

Gary Ragatz
09-23-2022, 11:14 AM
I'll add Epic Woodworking/Tom McLaughlin and Squarerule Furniture with a +1 for Ishitani, Doucette & Wolfe, Kobeomsuk and Curtis Buchanan. Phil Lowe's "Art of Woodworking" series on Youtube is very good as are all of his videos on FWW

+1 on Tom McLaughlin. I first learned about Tom when he hosted a season of Rough Cut on PBS a few years ago. Then discovered his Epic Woodworking web site and the live stream show, "Shop Night Live," that he does most Thursday evenings - takes questions from viewers while he presents an instructional session on some aspect of woodworking. Then, during the height of the pandemic, he did two or three live stream project build series. Most of the project builds are now behind a paywall, but I think selected episodes are available free, as are the "Shop Night Live" sessions. He's an experienced furniture maker who shows up periodically in FWW magazine. He has, IMO, an easy to listen to/watch presentation style.

Patrick Kane
09-23-2022, 11:46 AM

Brent, i am eagerly waiting for the completion of the timber frame shop. There is very little instructional content on timber framing, and i was bummed you hurt your back a year or two ago and put the project on hold.

brent stanley
09-23-2022, 11:55 AM
Brent, i am eagerly waiting for the completion of the timber frame shop. There is very little instructional content on timber framing, and i was bummed you hurt your back a year or two ago and put the project on hold.

I appreciate hearing that! The back will be permanently fragile I think, but I can work now and do my best to be smarter. The good news is, a big project got delayed by a year, and it was too late to start a replacement one, so I am full speed ahead on the shop. Hoping to be dry in a year. I can't wait! I also have part two of the layout video all recorded, I just have to edit it and publish. The big shaper head is going to be an enormous time saver!

Thanks for the words of encouragement...

B

Pat Germain
09-23-2022, 2:37 PM
I've been a fan of Marc Spagnuolo since he first launched his Wood Whisperer web site. I have learned just so much from that guy and I have also really enjoyed watching him move from Phoenix to Denver and now to semi-rural Missouri. It's fun to see him adapt to each new new space. Marc is a very personable and well-spoken guy and that's a big plus for me. I can appreciate skill and experience, but I can't stand to listen to endless, "Um, uh, you know...".

I like some of the content on Lincoln Street Woodworks. I agree with his running gag about "Free Crate Lumber!". Almost every time I talk to someone who wants to get into woodworking, they want to make projects from crate lumber. At this point, I simply tune out.

My all time woodworking hero is David Marks. He has a YouTube channel, but he hasn't posted any content on it for a long while. This really bums me out because I really like David's designs and techniques. Not sure what he's up to these day. I used to get regular emails from him, but those stopped a while back. (Old timers are likely aware Marc Spagnuolo interned under David Marks.)

Don't hate me, but I also like April Wilkerson. OK, I admit I could watch her on Mute, but I like her practical solutions to fixing up her homestead. You could argue very little of her content is woodworking and more carpentry, but that's OK. I still learn things and that matters to me.

Rob Luter
09-23-2022, 5:21 PM
I just checked out Doucette & Wolfe. Amazing craftsmanship.

Clifford McGuire
09-24-2022, 9:32 PM
I agree, however I've noticed some choices are clearly driven by sponsorship necessities. So anyone who is sponsored you have to take advice with a grain of salt. I think that is Clifford's point.

Yep, exactly. A few years ago, I was looking for thoughts and installation tips for an Onieda DC I was thinking about buying. I found most YT vids from woodworkers who were given an Onieda system. Of course, they gave raving reviews.

Oh, and did you ever notice that 41% (OK, I made that number up) of ww youtubers are standing in front of a wall full of Woodpecker tools?

Jim Becker
09-25-2022, 10:08 AM
Yep, exactly. A few years ago, I was looking for thoughts and installation tips for an Onieda DC I was thinking about buying. I found most YT vids from woodworkers who were given an Onieda system. Of course, they gave raving reviews.

You'll find the same with other brands of machines, too...sponsorships are the norm these days. But some folks are still not afraid to say what they don't like, too. That's one reason why it's important not to depend upon any one content creator for a tool review.

Edward Weber
09-25-2022, 12:44 PM
You'll find the same with other brands of machines, too...sponsorships are the norm these days. But some folks are still not afraid to say what they don't like, too. That's one reason why it's important not to depend upon any one content creator for a tool review.

Very true, you need to get as much info from as many different sources as practical.
No single company has the tool solution for everything, we all own many different brands of tools for a reason.
When CC's are sponsored and given an entire line of products, they may have to promote a product that may not be the best tool or best choice for the job. Even if you're getting paid or compensated with tools, it's not something everyone can do, promote something you don't believe in.
Although, IMO, not many of them think about it that much.
Many times it's just easier to watch and see what the (un-sponsered) pros are using

Michael Drew
09-25-2022, 2:11 PM
Don't hate me, but I also like April Wilkerson. OK, I admit I could watch her on Mute, but I like her practical solutions to fixing up her homestead. You could argue very little of her content is woodworking and more carpentry, but that's OK. I still learn things and that matters to me.

Have you ever noticed that if you watch one female woodworker on YouTube, your home page is suddenly filled with suggestions to watch lady DIY'ers in yoga pants, showing lots of cleavage 'making things'?

james manutes
09-25-2022, 2:40 PM
Folks I watch include:

Matt Cremona
Bent's Woodworking
FourEyes Furniture
The WoodWhisperer
Andy Rawls
Bourbon Moth Woodworking
YouCanMakeThisToo
Mike Farrington
3x3Custom (Tamara)
Tim Sway
Michael Alm
Frank Howarth
Blacktail Studio
Jay Bates
Third Coast Craftsman
Crafted Workshop
lignum
Burls Art
Darrell Pert
RR Buildings
This is pretty much my list also .I've been doing this long enough that I'm not looking for instruction or how to do much of anything . It's my entertainment on TV more than anything else , and I know that I'll see things I wouldn't do . Thats fine . I realize my demographic ( old as dirt ) , is not going to find much to watch . I'm grateful for YouTube , as I can select what I like .

Patrick Varley
09-25-2022, 3:16 PM
I've enjoyed seeing the recommendations on this thread, and just wanted to share one of my favorites that I haven't yet seen mentioned: Laura Kampf.

Fits more of a "maker" profile. But her production is incredible. Usually not much talking, just shots of her doing the work that are tightly edited (and a great soundtrack if you like the type of music she uses).

https://youtu.be/zjqWvpdNbms

Steve Demuth
09-25-2022, 9:49 PM
It is not strictly a woodworking channel, but Engel's Coach Shop may well be my favorite. Dave Engel seems to be adept at every craft that touches building of wooden wheels, wagons, and carriages. From iron work to wood work to upholstery and leather work, he does it all, beautifully, with a motley collection of old, new, shop-made, shop-altered, and repurposed tools. Truly a master of many crafts.

Patty Hann
09-26-2022, 2:26 AM

Oh, and did you ever notice that 41% (OK, I made that number up) of ww youtubers are standing in front of a wall full of Woodpecker tools?

The other 59% are standing in front of a wall full of hand planes next to a rack full of clamps ;)

fred woltersdorf
09-26-2022, 8:59 AM
Have you ever noticed that if you watch one female woodworker on YouTube, your home page is suddenly filled with suggestions to watch lady DIY'ers in yoga pants, showing lots of cleavage 'making things'?

And the downside is?

james manutes
09-26-2022, 11:28 AM
I've also just discovered the " This Old House Makers Channel " , made up of the same youtubers we are discussing . How long has this been around ?

derek labian
09-26-2022, 11:32 AM
I'm curious who is choosing YouTube channels primarily to learn something new/fresh ideas, and who is watching mainly for entertainment?

A couple of people here have mentioned Sawyer Design (https://www.youtube.com/c/SawyerDesign). He is no doubt a good craftsman and the videos are visually interesting, although my wife says the music is a bit loud. I feel like I should be learning something but don't? I think its how rapidly he moves through the build which I think is mostly for the artistic aspect. Lots of great woodworking shots though. Just curious for those following that channel, what are you getting out of it?

brent stanley
09-26-2022, 12:37 PM
I'm curious who is choosing YouTube channels primarily to learn something new/fresh ideas, and who is watching mainly for entertainment?

I typically only watch to learn something new. It may just be work flow but may be how to do something I can't currently do or it may be to learn about a product I am considering. This is really the content I try to create too on my own channel. I don't watch for entertainment at all. I certainly appreciate some neat little flourishes a creater might add, but they're not necessary for me as a viewer.

Michael Drew
09-26-2022, 12:59 PM
And the downside is?

Trying to find a rational explanation when the girlfriend takes notice of the queued up videos.......

Pat Germain
09-26-2022, 2:43 PM
I do appreciate the resource which YouTube has become. While Sturgeon's Law definitely applies, that other 10% is really nice to have. I recall visiting my local library in the 1980s looking for Woodworking books. I couldn't find any. When I asked the librarian, she got really snooty and said, "Oh, I don't know, have you tried carpentry?". I informed her I had seen the carpentry books which were all about building sheds and framing houses and that woodworking was something completely different. For this she had no answer.

I did manage to accumulate some actual woodworking books which I still have. This includes Norm's original "New Yankee Workshop" in hardcover and a really spiffy Fine Woodworking collection.

Those books are great, but it sure is cool to browse videos from the comfort of my basement futon without any snooty librarians to deal with. :-) If the video sucks, no big deal. Move on to the next one without having to drive anywhere or eat the cost of a lousy book.

Keegan Shields
09-26-2022, 4:04 PM
Great channel I had not heard of Rod! Thanks for sharing.

George Yetka
09-26-2022, 4:27 PM
In general I like most of the guys mentioned but the unsubscribe point for me is when they get a big cnc and almost every video goes there, unless they are showing the programming. They may as well film their dustbin filling up. If I cant learn from it its not worth watching with few exceptions(broinwood/Mtmwood/a few others that are more for calming then learning)

https://www.youtube.com/c/kyletoth I havent seen him mentioned he is an awesome turner thats fun to watch. He hasnt been to active though

mike calabrese
09-30-2022, 6:15 PM
My other passion is aviation anything that flies but because I am old I forgot all about this gal. She makes some amazing real air worthy woden props for just about any airplane that uses a wooden prop and does so mostly by herself. AMAZING !!!!
Enjoy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyoxueHtEqw
http://www.culverprops.com/index.php
mike calabrese

Warren Lake
10-01-2022, 2:21 PM
not a plane guy but if I was id want an SR71 Blackbird. Designer of that and so long ago was an alien, amazing tech.

Greg Funk
10-01-2022, 7:57 PM
Sampson Boat Co. This is the restoration of a sailboat, and is filled with interesting joinery and working in out-of-square situations. Lots of power and handtool content. Highly recommended. Start at the beginning (about 3 years ago now) and you will be hooked!Thanks for the suggestion! Started watching last week and it's very interesting. Always had a fondness for wooden boats but Leo takes it to another level.

Kris Cook
10-07-2022, 11:23 PM
It is not strictly a woodworking channel, but Engel's Coach Shop may well be my favorite. Dave Engel seems to be adept at every craft that touches building of wooden wheels, wagons, and carriages. From iron work to wood work to upholstery and leather work, he does it all, beautifully, with a motley collection of old, new, shop-made, shop-altered, and repurposed tools. Truly a master of many crafts.

I was reading through this post wondering if anyone would mention Engels. The first post I watched of his was taking a Grizzly mortiser and modifying it to his needs (pretty impressive). I haven't kept up with his recent posts but the guy is impressive. Doesn't hurt that he is a Montana guy as well.

I will have to check out some of the other recommendations that aren't "mainstream" as far as what comes up on YT.

Warren Lake
10-08-2022, 12:18 AM
think ive seen him mentioned here. Do you know which episode for the mortise machine id like to see what mods he did.

Frank Zappa was going to move to Montana.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ialhaxhr7iA

Kris Cook
10-08-2022, 11:09 AM
think ive seen him mentioned here. Do you know which episode for the mortise machine id like to see what mods he did.

Frank Zappa was going to move to Montana.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ialhaxhr7iA

Warren - here is the link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqItaZA_LqE

Never got Zappa's music...

Kris Cook
10-08-2022, 11:13 AM
not a plane guy but if I was id want an SR71 Blackbird. Designer of that and so long ago was an alien, amazing tech.

Kelly Johnson - Skunk Works. Check it out.

Warren Lake
10-08-2022, 11:49 AM
Zappa was brilliant, ask any good musician. Same with Prince. To me having mixed and recorded im time sensitive to music and that went on way too long. I have past watched the SR71 yoiu tubes and am aware of Kelly Johnson. I just cant digest that they could design that way back maybe the 50's. Anytime I saw a you tube on that plane it was hard not to clic on it and the first one i watched for a bit had to watch the whole thing. Brilliant feat of engineering.

Warren Lake
10-08-2022, 11:52 AM
thanks for the link site wont let me even see what I just posted so one more, forgot to thank you for that he has so many would have been hard to find. IM always interested in machinery mods.

Mel Fulks
10-08-2022, 3:49 PM
Zappa was brilliant, ask any good musician. Same with Prince. To me having mixed and recorded im time sensitive to music and that went on way too long. I have past watched the SR71 yoiu tubes and am aware of Kelly Johnson. I just cant digest that they could design that way back maybe the 50's. Anytime I saw a you tube on that plane it was hard not to clic on it and the first one i watched for a bit had to watch the whole thing. Brilliant feat of engineering.

I used to listen to Zappa in the smoking room . My favorite lyric line was , “one red bean stuck in the bottom of a tin cup” .
Oops! I think that line should have been attributed to Captain Beef Heart. Forgive me !

Curt Harms
10-12-2022, 9:26 AM
How about a youtuber I don't recommend. I think the name is Mike's wood shop. Guy claims to be a plumbing/tubing professional. The topic was plumbing your shop for compressed air. What did he recommend? CPVC!:eek::eek:

Jim Becker
10-12-2022, 9:30 AM
How about a youtuber I don't recommend. I think the name is Mike's wood shop. Guy claims to be a plumbing/tubing professional. The topic was plumbing your shop for compressed air. What did he recommend? CPVC!:eek::eek:
Ugg...an accident waiting to happen.

Edward Weber
10-12-2022, 10:48 AM
After reading the last two posts and cringing a bit, here a link
https://shoptoolreviews.com/news/pvc-piping-with-compressed-air/34000/
Just don't do it

Cameron Wood
10-12-2022, 2:52 PM
In Japanese, and more carpentry oriented- a pro at work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpDl_0doRbk

derek labian
10-21-2022, 6:18 PM
New YouTuber who might appeal to people who like no-talking quality builds. (No channel name yet)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRORoduptdRUBgyo7Uld0Ag

Rich Konopka
10-23-2022, 2:29 PM
I have been watching Workshop Companion in YouTube. The host is Nick Engler. He has written dozens of WW books and is excellent in explaining WwW techniques. Just last night I watched this video on tuning handplanes.

https://youtu.be/Szan5pP4drQ

Excellent content and this one

https://youtu.be/QSnLgE7fWCQ

Was also excellent.

Cheers