PDA

View Full Version : Lingerie Chest

Larry Turner
01-23-2006, 6:56 PM
My wife wants me to make her a lingerie chest. DOES ANYONE HAVE A SET OF PLANS THEY WOULD SHARE?

Jim Dunn
01-23-2006, 6:57 PM
Wait a minute I'm amending this post to first say hello to you Larry. Welcome to the Creek. Now as for your question-------------------------
I ain't going there:) I don't have any plans for such a chest, sorry

Don Baer
01-23-2006, 6:59 PM
Welcome to the Creek and I am standing by to see the posts on this one also.

:rolleyes:

Richard Ferment
01-23-2006, 7:17 PM
:) Plans Now hea a free downloadable plan for a lingerie chest. they look prety good. I made two.

Vaughn McMillan
01-23-2006, 7:35 PM
Welcome to the Creek, Larry. Wish I could help you with the plans, but the only lingerie chest in our house is attached to LOML, and I don't think she'd let me take measurements. :D (I'd need to use the little tape measure, anyway. The same one she uses on me, I guess. Good thing she doesn't read SMC...I'd be a dead man. :p )

- Vaughn

Dave Fifield
01-23-2006, 8:40 PM
Hi Larry! I was going to do a google search on "Lingerie+Chest", but stopped myself when I realized what kind of links I would probably get.....I'm still at work, so that wouldn't do!!

Truthfully, I've never heard of such a thing. Most women I have known, including SHMBO, keep their smalls in a scented drawer.

Ask her what she has in mind - a sketch maybe - and get back to us.

Cheers,
Dave F.

Bob Noles
01-23-2006, 8:52 PM
Welcome aboard Larry.

I think you may have brought an interesting topic along with you on your initial visit. :D Think I'll ride this one out on the sidelines :p

Steve Clardy
01-23-2006, 9:01 PM
Welcome Larry!!
Sorry, no plans here. I usually wing it, and scratch out my own plans on paper.
Steve:)

Dev Emch
01-23-2006, 9:01 PM
Hi Larry! I was going to do a google search on "Lingerie+Chest", but stopped myself when I realized what kind of links I would probably get.....I'm still at work, so that wouldn't do!!

Truthfully, I've never heard of such a thing. Most women I have known, including SHMBO, keep their smalls in a scented drawer.

Ask her what she has in mind - a sketch maybe - and get back to us.

Cheers,
Dave F.

Yup! ME TOO! And now that Google is in court with the US government regarding search records, I think I would reconsider all those unsual search requests.;)

Howard Barlow
01-23-2006, 9:33 PM
(I'd need to use the little tape measure, anyway. The same one she uses on me, I guess. Good thing she doesn't read SMC...I'd be a dead man. :p )

- Vaughn

Man! I've seen dumb statements, I've seen stupid statements. This one is downright dangerous.:eek: I bet you poke yer eye out with that one. Or get poked. :p

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
01-23-2006, 10:08 PM
Larry, I remember seeing a seven drawer lingerie cabinet years ago in either Fine Woodworking or the woodworkers Journal. That's all the help I can be.

Jim Becker
01-23-2006, 10:08 PM
Larry, welcome to the 'Creek.

I have indeed seen a number of lingerie cabinets in the past few years, but often at furniture shows and in magazines that feature "studio" furniture. I am at a loss for a specific reference to pass on right now. That said, this is something you likely could design yourself. Think about it...narrow with smaller drawers and reasonable height to hold the necessary volume. It could be a chest on stand or it could be just a taller chest. The drawers could be regular sized or be of graduated size with the larger (taller) on the bottom working up to thinner drawers for small things or even certain jewelry pieces at the top. Why not have the "boss" help design it...and then leverage our Design Forum here at SMC to discuss things? ;)

John Keane
01-23-2006, 10:09 PM
Plans Now ( August Home) has a great set of plans for a lingerie chest.

John Crum
01-23-2006, 10:25 PM
Larry, I am rather new to SMC and this is my first post. Woodsmith has what I think is a nice looking lingeree chest. I don't remember the issue number but if you are interested I"ll look it up and send it to you.

Scott Parks
01-23-2006, 11:29 PM
Jeez, I remember seeing one on here a while back. But when I searched for it, I can't find it??? CRS??? I know there was one posted....

Mark Singer
01-23-2006, 11:32 PM
I have seen lots of chests.....some are nice in lingerie....some better in a bathrobe:rolleyes:

Keith Christopher
01-23-2006, 11:33 PM
I avoid alot of these by using "wood" +chest +lingerie

That would help avoid some hits. but this reminds me of a funny search engine commercial.

person enters a search for something like Cola
and all these old men are in a room as his hits and they read them off and in the middle one says "Mistress Sarah's dungeon of pain"

They all sigh and one says "Bah she comes up on everything." LOL

Yup! ME TOO! And now that Google is in court with the US government regarding search records, I think I would reconsider all those unsual search requests.;)

Charlie Plesums
01-23-2006, 11:44 PM
Welcome to the creek.

My wife wants me to make her a lingerie chest. DOES ANYONE HAVE A SET OF PLANS THEY WOULD SHARE?
Ignoring the joking comments, a Lingerie chest is just a small chest of drawers...small drawers for the slippery things that don't stay stacked, lots of drawers to handle the total volume. I suggest making them to fit the available space... lots of comments and suggested dimensions but no detailed plan at www.plesums.com/wood/bedroom/lingeriechest.html (http://www.plesums.com/wood/bedroom/lingeriechest.html)

Jim Bell
01-24-2006, 12:29 AM
Check w/ Dolly Parton. Anything to do with chests she is my pick for info:p .
Jim

Cody Colston
01-24-2006, 2:08 AM
Here's one in the shaker style. http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/10777

Rob Will
01-24-2006, 2:47 AM
Here's one in the shaker style.

A shaker lingerie chest? hmmmm:eek:

Rob

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
01-24-2006, 3:23 AM
This is the kind of thing you are looking for....

http://www.woodcraftplans.com/U830.jpg

My wife has one of these on here list of things for me to make.....

Good Luck!

Cody Colston
01-24-2006, 4:32 AM
A shaker lingerie chest? hmmmm:eek:

Rob

Yeah, they kept their linsey-woolsey bloomers in them. :)

Actually, the key word there(which you omitted) was style, as in Shaker style.

Art Mulder
01-24-2006, 7:30 AM

Boy, Larry, everyone is sure picking on you. For a moment, I had a flashback to my highschool days.

Larry, it would help if you gave some more guidelines. For instance, do you favour shaker style furniture? Queen Anne? Mission/Arts-n-Crafts? Painted? Plywood? Solid Wood? Cherry? Walnut?

For instance, I just googled "Craftsman style lingerie" and got several hits that give examples of lingerie dressers.

But as a few others have mentioned, a Lingerie dresser is really just a chest of drawers that is typically narrow, with shallow drawers. Most of the ones that I've seen are fairly tall -- pushing five feet. Given that, I would personally just take a standard dresser plan and adjust it to suit.

hope this helps.

Jim Dunn
01-24-2006, 7:56 AM
Hey John Crum, you post and don't say hellllloooo. Welcome to the Creek on your first post.

Jim

John Gregory
01-24-2006, 11:19 AM
this plan is free (http://plansnow.com/lingerie.html). We built it from a woodsmith magazine. Here is some information about the one we made (http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=22657)

Frank Chaffee
01-24-2006, 3:25 PM
Larry,
If your wife needs a dresser in which to store her lingerie (as opposed to panties and brassieres), she likely has long fingernails too. Whether her manicurist has backed them with plastic or titanium is not the point here, but either way, they will scratch the drawer front if the pull is not quite deep or if the drawer is not protected by an escutcheon.
Hope this helps,
Frank
Did you know what you were getting into asking this zany bunch a question? Welcome Larry.

Jess Webb
01-24-2006, 4:00 PM
Attached is such a chest I made for my wife several years ago. carcase size is 18x18x44 with mirror and small jewelry box on top. solid walnut with red oak drawer fronts.

My first attempt to post pics and not sure I have it right.

Bobby Nicks
01-24-2006, 4:13 PM

Larry,

I made 2 of them last year. They were both made to match existing bedroom furniture that the ladies had. I posted pictures here at the time I made them.

I see that you're in Raleigh, I'm in Cary. Drop me a note if you want to see some of the pictures I took. If you'ld like to stop by some Saturday or Sunday afternoon I'll help you get started on a set of plans for one. Like someone else said they're nothing but a narrow dresser. On both of the ones I did I had a place for them to put their jewelry.

Bob N.

Don Baer
01-24-2006, 4:23 PM
Attached is such a chest I made for my wife several years ago. carcase size is 18x18x44 with mirror and small jewelry box on top. solid walnut with red oak drawer fronts.

My first attempt to post pics and not sure I have it right.

Ya done good Jess nice piece and welcome to the creek.

Larry Turner
01-24-2006, 5:57 PM
Thanks to everyone for their comments and jokes. Nice welcome. Bobby Nicks feel free to email me with the pics. For those who are serious and have never heard of a lingerie chest there are quite a few available.

Don Bergren
01-24-2006, 7:54 PM
Well, this thread has taught me something new. Not sure it was a lesson I needed, but knowledge is always a good thing to have.

Frank really seemed to have a lot of knowledge about lingerie chests, but Mark appeared well schooled in the general chests area. :eek:

Be afraid..... Be very afraid. :D

Mark Riegsecker
01-24-2006, 9:19 PM
Larry, I remember seeing a seven drawer lingerie cabinet years ago in either Fine Woodworking or the woodworkers Journal. That's all the help I can be.

I wasn't sure if this wasn't a trick question but now that someone posted something close to what I was thinking, I made one from Woodsmith long ago someone may know the issue, I forgot. It turned into a four piece set when they were finished. I really liked it and it went together easy. 5or 6 drawer tall and thin.(oh now I get it) Very nice project. Good way to use your dove tail machine.

Welcome Mark