PDA

View Full Version : Voyager or Viking

Cliff Polubinsky
09-17-2022, 6:10 PM
I'm starting to consider replacing my 17" Delta drill press with either the Nova Voyager or the Viking. With $600 difference in the price I'm trying to determine if there are enough advantages to the Voyager in how I normally work to justify the price difference.

There's 2" difference in the swing between the two. My current press has 17" of swing so loosing or gaining 1" doesn't seem that critical. I don't remember many times ever coming close to capacity with the Delta.

The Voyager has a longer stroke. The Viking's stroke is the same as the Delta and that's been sufficient so far.

Like most people with pulleys and belts I rarely (never?) change speeds so either will be an improvement. The Voyager has a lower bottom speed but I what is that really gaining me?

The Viking has a laser that the Voyager doesn't, and I do use that frequently.

They both have features I'd like, auto start, electronic depth setting and reverse rotation

What am I overlooking that would be worth the higher price?

Thanks.

Cliff

Paul F Franklin
09-17-2022, 8:42 PM
Are you comparing the viking floor model or the benchtop model? If the floor model, then I think you have pretty much summed up the differences. If you're looking at the benchtop, then you have the added capacity under the chuck to consider.

The laser is a useful feature, but the wixey laser works well on the voyager, although it adds a bit to the cost.

The lower bottom speed might be a factor if you drill large holes or use hole saws often.

I was often frustrated by the shorter stroke of my old drill press (I have a voyager now) but it doesn't sound like that has been an issue for you.

Not sure if the viking has less power than the voyager, but I know the voyager can be run off 240V and gains some power when you do that; although I run mine on 120V and power hasn't been an issue for me.

If you plan to add an aux table with a nice fence with stops, etc, then the swing becomes more of a factor because the fence eats up some of the swing.

Not sure what the difference (if there is one) in table size is, but a larger table tends to support the work better.

I guess another factor is if you see the kinds of things you do changing down the road, and if that may lead to you wishing you had bought the voyager.

Bottom line: if the little differences don't add up to $600 for you, then go for the viking.

Derek Cohen
09-17-2022, 9:26 PM
I have written lots about the Voyager, which I have owned and thoroughly enjoyed over the past three years. One aspect I have never mentioned is that, at the time of purchase, the Viking had just come out. Its price was far more comfortable, and it was this that made me seriously consider that it was time to upgrade from my 25 year old Taiwanese machine.

I had a little time to make up my mind as my local dealer was waiting on stock. The difference in price with the Voyager was something like $1000 AUD, which is not insignificant. In the end I had to own up to my baser side - I just did not like the looks of the Viking. It looked ungainly alongside the sleek and futuristic Voyager. Black Friday came along and dropped the prices. I went with my heart not my head.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Curt Harms
09-18-2022, 9:32 AM
I think for woodworking around 250 RPM lower speed is desirable. As mentioned hole saws, larger Forstner bits, fly cutters all recommend lower speeds. Larger tables are easy enough to fabricate with fence, clamps and stops. I only have about 3 1/2" of quill travel but that has seldom been a problem.

Cliff Polubinsky
09-19-2022, 6:09 PM
Thank you all. I ordered a Viking for my birthday, although it won't ship for a month. The places that had it in stock wanted $150 to $200 for shipping and this vendor had free shipping. For $150 or more I can wait a month.

I picked the Viking because 1. The additional features didn't justify the additional cost for me and 2. Derek seemed to admit he'd have picked the Viking if it wasn't for the esthetics which validated the choice for me because the esthetics didn't bother me and 3. I wanted the laser because I use it a lot. I realize that the Wixey can be added to the Voyager but I had doubts that an add on laser would be as accurate as a built in laser. Plus I sometimes forget to turn it off and with the Wixey that runs down the battery.

Plus, my baser nature normally leads me to buy the more expensive option because it's more expensive and I'm trying to tame that. But really it was the laser as illogical as that may be. .

Cliff

Cliff Polubinsky
09-25-2022, 5:24 PM
So much for taming my baser nature. I canceled the Viking and ordered the Voyager, which was in stock and shipped the same day. Should be here by the end of the week.

Started thinking that the extra swing would be a good thing to have and I would probably use the additional features. And I'd get rid of that nagging feeling that maybe I should have got the better model. And it was in stock.

And so it goes.

Cliff