PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly Dial Indicator Help

Allen Grimes
01-23-2006, 4:22 PM
I just bought a Grizzly dial indicator in december, and it has become an invaluable tool until now.

I was in my shop adjusting the blade alignment on my table saw, but the DI slipped out of my hand and fell on the table. The drop couldnt have been more than 6". Now the pressure bar is really hard to push in and once pushed in it doesnt come back out. This is a serious problem because the base system is so flimsy that the whole thing will move, aside from the magnet itself, instead of the bar on the DI.

I opened the back, but once I saw all those gears in it, I decided that it is better not to mess with it without knowing what I am doing. It doesn't look complicated, but at the same time, I dont want to mess it up worse than it already is.

Does anybody have any suggestions? I thought about sending it back but it is such a PITA to get things to and from here that it would take a couple of months for me to get another. I think my only real option is to try to fix it, but I dont know how.

Alex Berkovsky
01-23-2006, 4:33 PM
Allen,
I wouldn't trust in anymore, but replace it with a new one. I bought mine at <cough>HF</cough> when it was on sale - at full price it costs $14 (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=33675).

Allen Grimes
01-24-2006, 12:30 AM
Well, I was messing with this dial indicator all day, I opened it up and started playing with the inner workings to see if I could fix it, but nothing worked so finally, gave up and put it all back together the way it was.

Then I figured "what do I got to lose" and held it at a 6" distance from the floor, let it go and vuala, it's back to normal.