PDA

View Full Version : Compressor update plus a big thank you to everyone here

Howard Rosenberg
09-14-2022, 7:28 PM
A big thank you to everyone here.

Went to Canada's answer to Harbour Freight and just installed this 1/4" valve https://www.princessauto.com/en/1-4-in-npt-quarter-turn-tank-drain-valve/product/PA0008477606. Way easier to install than the three male threaded connectors, the two 90-degree elbows and the ball-valve I'd originally bought.

Now draining that tank is WAY easier than the little OEM unit.

​​​​​​​And, wow, was that A LOT of rusty, evil-looking water that came spewing out...

Jim Becker
09-14-2022, 8:41 PM
Very good, Howard! Making draining easy means it will actually get done a lot more often.

On the same topic, I scored a new Auto-drain today at Home Depot. My old one failed after a couple of decades and I planned on replacing it once the new shop is up. (I'm doing it manually at present) In case you or anyone else reading this wants one, I caught the deal on a clearance end-cap for a Husky branded auto drain that looks nearly identical to the IR I had previously. The yellow tag had it marked down to $67 from $97, but when the cashier rang it up, it magically dropped to $49. This could just be a local store "clean out", but it's worth checking at your local store if one of these has been on your hit list.

Bruce Wrenn
09-14-2022, 8:47 PM
Very good, Howard! Making draining easy means it will actually get done a lot more often.

On the same topic, I scored a new Auto-drain today at Home Depot. My old one failed after a couple of decades and I planned on replacing it once the new shop is up. (I'm doing it manually at present) In case you or anyone else reading this wants one, I caught the deal on a clearance end-cap for a Husky branded auto drain that looks nearly identical to the IR I had previously. The yellow tag had it marked down to $67 from $97, but when the cashier rang it up, it magically dropped to $49. This could just be a local store "clean out", but it's worth checking at your local store if one of these has been on your hit list.

486111Got the HD SKU number?

Howard Rosenberg
09-14-2022, 9:35 PM
Thanks Jim. I appreciate your help from the first two rounds. That Husky device looks good. Keep us poted!

Jim Becker
09-15-2022, 9:22 AM
Got the HD SKU number?

From the receipt:

846212073506 TANK DRAIN <A> AUTOMATIC ELECTRONIC TANK DRAIN $48.00

Robert LaPlaca
09-16-2022, 9:14 AM
Wow, I was looking for a replacement drain petcock just this week, was perusing HD’s website and noticed the Husky device. FYI, it was and still is listed as $99..

Jim Becker
09-16-2022, 9:40 AM
Yea, may be a local store overstock thing, but certainly worthy of checking out. Maybe ask for a "price check" on the item, saying that others had found it on deep discount at another store. No harm in asking. :) I know my local store in Warrington PA has two more on the closeout shelf.

Roger Feeley
09-16-2022, 9:58 AM
I got a mechanical auto drain from harbor freight close to 20 years ago. I don’t think I paid over $10. It has an air line that hooks up to your unloader line. It drains the tank just a little every time the compressor starts or stops. I’ve never seen one of these anywhere else and I don’t think HF sells them anymore.

update: my mistake. HF still has them.
https://www.harborfreight.com/automatic-compressor-drain-kit-68244.html
still $10

Jim Becker
09-16-2022, 10:00 AM
Interesting, Roger. That method has a certain attraction because it's leveraging actual use which in turn, affects the level of moisture. The electronic auto-drains pretty much work on a timer and are on essentially full time. (There also needs to be 120v available near the compressor to use them)

Bill Dufour
09-16-2022, 11:32 AM
The electronic auto-drains pretty much work on a timer and are on essentially full time. (There also needs to be 120v available near the compressor to use them)

I have my auto drain plugged into a 120 volt outlet that is only on when the motor is running. It puffs a small amount on motor startup and then vents every 10 minutes or so, adjustable.
Bill D

Jim Becker
09-16-2022, 4:50 PM
That's certainly a way to do it, Bill...easiest for folks with 120v compressors. It's a bit more involved for folks like me with 240v compressors and I'm less inclined to try to automate it to be in coordination with the compressor.