PDA

View Full Version : Shop Furniture Stretchers

Patty Hann
09-12-2022, 11:14 PM
Hi folks...
I mentioned in the Push Stick thread that I am building an outfeed table for my Dewalt job-site saw (model 7481).
With wood being rather expensive right now, I'm trying to save a bit by using any waste pieces I already have.

So in making stretchers (3-4 inches wide) from 3/4 birch ply (longest needing to be 36") is it necessary to have the grain running lengthwise?
Aesthetically it might look better, but with the alternating layers does it really structurally matter?
I've got all these long cutoff pieces with the grain running on the short edge, so I really don't want to buy more ply (at this time) unless I have to.
Thanks

Kevin Jenness
09-13-2022, 12:07 AM
Hi folks...

So in making stretchers (3-4 inches wide) from 3/4 birch ply (longest needing to be 36") is it necessary to have the grain running lengthwise?
Aesthetically it might look better, but with the alternating layers does it really structurally matter?
I've got all these long cutoff pieces with the grain running on the short edge, so I really don't want to buy more ply (at this time) unless I have to.
Thanks

No, it doesn't really matter. Technically it depends on the plywood layup. 3/4" 7 ply veneer core will have three thick core layers running across the 4' width and two core layers and two thin face veneers running in the 8' direction, so stretchers with the faces crossgrain would arguably be stronger with the face oriented vertically in a stretcher. The more layers, the less difference. I often use crossgrain ply material for better yield in cabinets where the grain direction is not an aesthetic issue.

Patty Hann
09-13-2022, 12:12 AM
Thank you for your reply.
This birch (baltic birch?) has 13 layers total..(this is not veneered ply), so that's why I thought it wouldn't/shouldn't make too much difference.
But I'd still prefer the grain to have run lengthwise :rolleyes: