PDA

View Full Version : Got It Right The First Time

Bruce Wrenn
09-12-2022, 9:08 PM
Today, while working on my Merry Rototiller (circa 1960 +/-, which makes it around sixty years old) I got to thinking about products that have stood the test of time, and become the gold standard in their class. My Merry Tiller is the same basic machine today, as it was sixty years ago. Currently retailing for around $1500, so it's not for everyone. MTD tillers can be had new for less than $500, but they are "throw away" machines, designed as not ever be fixed. Merry's transmissions were use in both Winston and Snapper tillers. Every part for my Merry can be had new from the manufacturer. The power tools from Delta : Unisaw, 14" band saw, four post planer, contractor's saw were the gold standard with many knock offs over the years. The PC 690 router is another. Kitchen Aid stand mixers belong on that list also.

Lee Schierer
09-13-2022, 3:43 PM
I know what you mean. I just sold my Troy Bilt 7 Hp Horse rototiller for $36 less than I paid for it over 30 years ago. It would still start on the first pull and run as long as it had gas in the tank. We were no longer using it, so I sold it.

Warren Lake
09-13-2022, 3:50 PM
vitamix likely 40 years old., maytag washer and dryer 45 years old, buick wagons over 25 years old truck 50 years old. Lots of old good stuff made. Rockwell belt sander 45 years, senco staple guns at least that old and and and, Scm wadkin robinson brookman. The good old days nother world

Bruce Wrenn
09-13-2022, 5:47 PM
Couple more oldies, but goodies. My Cuisinart DLC-8 food processor, which was made in Japan, not China. This makes it about 36 years old. The current 14 cup Cuisinart is the same FP, on steroids. John Mansville shingles on our house are 42 years old. Carrier heat pump. It was only 38 years old when we removed it from service. Spent less than 20 bucks over the years maintaining it. Currently, we have a 24 year old gas water heater. Came with a 6 year warranty.

Maurice Mcmurry
09-13-2022, 5:50 PM
This is why I lament the demise of American manufacturing. I have a Scotsman Merry Tiller too! (it has a Honda engine on it).

Jim Allen
09-13-2022, 6:47 PM
I'm a hobbyist but a 40 + year old Craftsman RAS that works better then it did when I got it (learned how to use it).

Bill Dufour
09-13-2022, 7:52 PM
Anyone want ,for free, my Gravely tiller. Designed for making Victory gardens for WW1. Made with few changes up tell about 2000. They replaced the 7hp engine with 12Hp Japanese brand engines late in production
Bill D

Warren Lake
09-14-2022, 1:27 AM
does it include delivery :)

Jerome Stanek
09-14-2022, 7:08 AM
I inherited my dads Merry Tiller in 1974 and had it for many years untill I got my rear tine Roper tiller that I got in 1988 and still going strong. My dad used the merry tiller just on the ends of the greenhouse and to cultivate the tomato rows of over 1 1/2 acres. So it saw a lot of use. 2 crops a year. I hated how it would bounce and shake when breaking new ground. My dad had an Agria rear tine tiller for the big job of tilling had a 36" cut. He got it in 58 and my sister still has it but tines are hard to find.

Maurice Mcmurry
09-14-2022, 7:26 AM
I will look through the family photos for a picture of the 1978 Estate Wagon. It had the towing package with extra engine and transmission cooling, air shocks, and a 455.
The design of the Merry Tiller lives on and is used by Maxim. Maxim tillers are often seen at rental companys. Front tine tillers sure do bounce. Mine stays in town where the soil is starting to be OK after over 30 years of gardening.

There is some good Merry Tiller content on Garden Tractor Talk form
Merry Tiller | Garden Tractor Forums (https://www.gardentractortalk.com/threads/merry-tiller.60782/)

486075 486076

Ron Citerone
09-14-2022, 9:57 AM
Besides the big ticket items, there are more obscure things.
I have what I call a “Working” collection of Penn Z series spinning reels. About 16 of them. They all work as designed and are amazingly durable. Bought my first one 50 years ago and have accumulated the rest through Ebay.

Warren Lake
09-14-2022, 1:01 PM
Maurice towing package is a great thing on the wagons and besides what you said give a posi rear and better ratio. Capacity on the buicks goes up to 5,000 lbs and with equalizers is 7,000 lbs.

Bruce Wrenn
09-14-2022, 8:43 PM
Merry tillers weren't front tine but center tine. Believe me as I owned two Sears front tine tillers before my first Merry. Night and day difference in the shaking the operator (me) takes. My Sears convinced me to buy my first Troy-Bilt. Until recently, I owned three Troy-Bilt tillers (Pony, Horse, and PTO horse.) Over the years, I have owned three operating Merry Tillers. Bought one used (in new condition) and sold it later for over a hundred more than I paid for it. Currently have a Merry and a Winston in running condition, an unknown brand over at a friend's house, plus a "parts machine." Other than one in new condition, all were junk yard rescues. To get manuals for Merrry tiller, I went to an English gardening site (Garden Web.)

Maurice Mcmurry
09-14-2022, 9:55 PM
Maurice towing package is a great thing on the wagons and besides what you said give a posi rear and better ratio. Capacity on the buicks goes up to 5,000 lbs and with equalizers is 7,000 lbs.

We were the 2nd owners or the Buick Wagon affectionately named "The Big Pig" by the previous owners. The darling wife had been driving a 78 Ford Fiesta (white knuckled while being passed on Old US 40). She got behind the wheel of the Big Pig and discovered the joy of passing.

Maurice Mcmurry
09-14-2022, 10:04 PM
I have a PTO Horse too! and the Kohler 21 amp generator. Sadly the OEM Brigs had its connecting rod sticking out of a hole in the center case when I got it. It now has the motor from Dads (late) rear tine MTD on it. Thanks for the clarification on tine orientation.

Bill Dufour
09-14-2022, 10:05 PM
My sister ha done of those front time tillers from Monkey Wards. I replaced the wheels with cast iron lawn mower wheels. That really reduced the bouncing.
BillD

Warren Lake
09-14-2022, 10:52 PM
tool and die maker i knew was smart. At his home one day outside coffee watching deer saw his mower and had air tires. Later when the deer were moved on asked if i could fire it up and try it. It worked amazing half the resitance of any plastic wheels or less. He machined some bolts for me so i could put air wheels on mine. Same huge difference. Way easier to push way less bumping on the dry lawn. Years later give a personal pace toro that took care of rolling resistance as it pulled itself along. Wrote Toro told them they need to put air tires on the mower. Never listened but some do, funny though they never sent royalty cheques.

Warren Lake
09-14-2022, 11:00 PM
it will depend what year big pig. The 92 will drop from 4th to 2cnd and make tons of noise and hardly go any faster. the 96 with 2.93 and 80 more HP was night and day. The 92 with a 2.56 rear at times could pull of 27 MPG canadian and was told the 96 should be able to do better as a different motor. When the old guy passed they asked if i wanted his 2016 Equinox. I told them I appreciated it but I would only sell it and get a better Wally wagon so they should sell it put the money in his estate. I drove the equinox for six months as he wanted me to. Getting back into the wally was a shock., Even as a 92 it blew the equinox away in most ways. 28k for the wally in 92, 26K for the Equinox in 2016, guess it should have still they are great cars and some people make them lots better. I always was impressed original exhaust at 387k on the car. Proof of how good stainless could be and decent grade and thickness. Lots of good machines and tools from the US. Even the Newton boring machine very nice quality.

Maurice Mcmurry
09-14-2022, 11:05 PM
Our Buick was a 1978. It was dark tan. The kids loved to open up the secret jump seats in the way-back.

Brian Elfert
09-15-2022, 8:50 AM
tool and die maker i knew was smart. At his home one day outside coffee watching deer saw his mower and had air tires. Later when the deer were moved on asked if i could fire it up and try it. It worked amazing half the resitance of any plastic wheels or less. He machined some bolts for me so i could put air wheels on mine. Same huge difference. Way easier to push way less bumping on the dry lawn. Years later give a personal pace toro that took care of rolling resistance as it pulled itself along. Wrote Toro told them they need to put air tires on the mower. Never listened but some do, funny though they never sent royalty cheques.

Wouldn't pneumatic tires on a push mower potentially vary the height of the cut? I could see punctures being a big reason not to do pneumatic tires for the masses on push mowers. I've never had a flat with my riding mowers, but they have much bigger tires than what would be on a push mower.

Warren Lake
09-15-2022, 10:29 AM
never had a flat on the air tires on the push mower. Same with the ride on and its old fair bit of tread worn off. Lkely added air once a year as they were low budjet princess auto air tires. Worked great. Tool and die maker had larger tires than mine did but im in a sub division with lawns, he was on 16 acres. I have some ditches there that are a total pain in the butt. No issues with height when cutting from the tires. Really makes a big difference.

Curt Harms
09-17-2022, 11:36 AM
This is why I lament the demise of American manufacturing. I have a Scotsman Merry Tiller too! (it has a Honda engine on it).

Maybe manufacturers don't want things to last too long. When the demand for a product is expanding it's fine from a manufacturer's point of view for things to last a long time. Once everybody that wants one has one, how does the manufacturer stay in business? Selling replacement parts isn't going to cut it.

Jerry Bruette
09-17-2022, 6:18 PM
Maybe manufacturers don't want things to last too long. When the demand for a product is expanding it's fine from a manufacturer's point of view for things to last a long time. Once everybody that wants one has one, how does the manufacturer stay in business? Selling replacement parts isn't going to cut it.

Ding Ding Ding, we have a winner.

Just Google "planned obsolescence" and read how American Industry and Manufacturing started doing it almost 100 years ago. We made our goods so durable that they didn't need to be replaced. Bring in changing body styles and changing aesthetics so we no longer have new parts for repair and now we'll make the consumers buy new products to replace the ones that can't be repaired.

Dave Cav
09-17-2022, 7:11 PM
Snapper rear engine riding mower. I just bought an early '90s model that works as well as the day it was built (the engine has been upgraded to 11 HP). Takes about five minutes to change out the clutch.