PDA

View Full Version : crank out window hardware

Warren Lake
09-12-2022, 8:41 PM
Neighbour asked about a window repair and I took a look and see things rusted up and one arm has snapped off. Its all fairly jambed up. Did the WD thing and can see it all needs to come off to measure and find replacements. I see a few suppliers near Toronto and Richelieu has some amount of this stuff.

What is the easiest way to approach this. I can see from the heavy rust in screw heads that this might be fairly seized up. I can do more WD and cant see using any heat. Likely have to make up to plywood blanks to block it up for a few days while getting the hardware. I think for a fairly low upcharge this could have been stainless in the first place

485999 486000

Paul F Franklin
09-12-2022, 9:11 PM
I've rebuilt most of my casement windows. Several of the operators were stripped and had to be replaced. Most of the hinges and slides were ok after cleanup but a few had to be replaced. The one you show looks likely to be in the replace category. (I find PB blaster more effective than WD 40 for freeing stuff up, BTW) Replacements are not very expensive, but finding the correct parts can take a little research.

I've bought stuff from Swissco, Window hardware direct, and reflect window and door (in Canada) In my case, the parts were stamped with manufacturer (TRUTH, who made tons of hardware for OEMs) and part numbers that made it easy to find replacements, but the vendors I mentioned will help identify suitable replacements from pics and measurements if your parts aren't marked.

The operators I was able to find were a slightly different shape than the originals and I had to do a little rasp work on the wood operator cover to make them fit, but no big deal. All the other parts I bought were exact replacements.

Tom M King
09-12-2022, 9:16 PM
If you can tell what manufacturer made then, it would help in the search. Our Pella's are 42 years old. I've never replaced a single part on them, and they all still work fine, but I think I could get replacement parts. Those don't look like Pella though.

I would try a hand impact driver, or left handed drill bits to get the screws out. If you can't get them out, I guess drill or pull, and upsize.

Greg Funk
09-12-2022, 9:19 PM
The hardware shown below is a little over 20 yrs old with zero maintenance and it works as smoothly as ever. The model is Entryguard by Truth and it looks like Richelieu handles them. The design doesn't appear to have changed in 20 yrs.

Kevin Jenness
09-13-2022, 12:14 AM
That looks like a Truth actuator as used by Marvin Windows. If so a Marvin distributor could probably help you.

Warren Lake
09-13-2022, 12:49 AM
thanks on all, im not sure if they would be Marvin as past owner a tight wad but if i can get it apart maybe some stuff stamped i can find. Its a bathroom window so thats why its so rusted. Will see how first company emailed responds. Havent worked with this stuff before and sure there a a number of companies with better quality parts. A number of the window crank handles are broken. Look like some white metal and sure once a window has a bit of resistance some of them snapped off.

Bill Dufour
09-13-2022, 1:25 AM
Second picture I do not understand the bottom most arm. What is that for?
Bill D

Kevin Jenness
09-13-2022, 1:53 AM
Second picture I do not understand the bottom most arm. What is that for?
Bill D

I think the end is supposed to snap into the bracket in the sash rabbet in the first pic to provide a pivot point for the sliding arm.

On second look it's different in detail from the Marvin hardware I've seen but similar in function.

Warren Lake
09-13-2022, 2:37 AM
I thought its supposed to be attached to the bracket on the bottom of the window. Will clean it a bit and get a better look at it in the next few days.