PDA

View Full Version : Clamping jigs?

Dick Heifner
01-23-2006, 2:44 PM
Hi all,
I am looking for various ways to clamp slightly bowed wood. Does anybody have a web site about this? I can't find anything.
Thanks, Dick

tod evans
01-23-2006, 2:48 PM
Hi all,
I am looking for various ways to clamp slightly bowed wood. Does anybody have a web site about this? I can't find anything.
Thanks, Dick

clamp how? i make my living making wood bow are you trying to straighten a bowed board or bend a straight one.......tod

Mark Singer
01-23-2006, 2:53 PM
clamp how? i make my living making wood bow are you trying to straighten a bowed board or bend a straight one.......tod

Tod,
Do you make your wood bow on purpose? Or does it just come out that way:confused:

tod evans
01-23-2006, 2:56 PM
Tod,
Do you make your wood bow on purpose? Or does it just come out that way:confused:

well mark, the best way i`ve found is to cut it into strips and glue it back together...but sometimes it still doesn`t come out the way i want:( tod

Mark Singer
01-23-2006, 3:31 PM
Tod,
Just kidding....I know you cam make it do what you want it to!

tod evans
01-23-2006, 3:33 PM
Tod,
Just kidding....I know you cam make it do what you want it to!

most of the time it takes a big hammer and lotsa cussing:)

Vaughn McMillan
01-23-2006, 4:12 PM
most of the time it takes a big hammer and lotsa cussing:)
Doesn't most everything in this world? :p

- Vaughn

Mark Singer
01-23-2006, 11:29 PM
Tod,
Just talk nicely to the wood.....a little soft music....wisper softly

Vaughn McMillan
01-24-2006, 4:35 AM
Sorry Dick, we got off track. ;)

Can you provide a bit more info? Are the pieces intentionally bowed? Are you trying to straighten out bowed pieces, or have them come out bowed when the glue's dry? I probably won't have an answer, but some of the guys here who do it for a living can probably answer your question if they have a better description of the problem you're trying to solve.

- Vaughn

tod evans
01-24-2006, 7:04 AM
Tod,

maybe i`ll try that next time mark :)

Mark Rios
01-24-2006, 8:33 AM
Tod,

I don't think that's allowed in most states.;) :D

Jim Dunn
01-24-2006, 9:19 AM
Hey we're talking California here. I wonder if this thread should go with the lingerie thread.:)

Most of my warped clamping is done on sheet goods I can stand to drill holes in. Then just add a cleat and a dog to hold it up at the same height as the material your clamping.

Jim

Dick Heifner
01-24-2006, 3:18 PM
Hi all,
I am trying to straighten some cabinet stils and rails, these are 3/4" ash plywood scraps that I am making shop cabinets out of.
Thanks, Dick

tod evans
01-24-2006, 3:23 PM
boy dick that`ll teach you to step away from the keyboard eh? just kidding, obviously we joke around:) what i would do for plywood faceframes is assemble them and then clamp them to the carcase to straighten `em out.......are you sure you want to use plywood for face frames?.......02 tod

Jim Becker
01-25-2006, 12:41 PM
I am trying to straighten some cabinet stils and rails, these are 3/4" ash plywood scraps that I am making shop cabinets out of.

Hmm...sound like they are bowed from the faces, rather than along the edges, since it's plywood. I'm thinking that once the face frames are secured to your cabinet carcasses, they will straighten out a bit. If you use pocket screws to assemble them, you can do so without glue first and see if they will clamp up flat to the cabinets. If something is out of kilter, you can replace that component, rather than all of them. I suggest you keep the "bows" in the stiles all going the same way (towards or away) from the cabinet carcass and the same for the rails, respectively.