PDA

View Full Version : Another Quick Project - Bit Holder

Jim Koepke
09-11-2022, 5:39 PM
A few things came together recently. Another Stanley #45 was acquired and needed a test drive.

While building a box to hold some drill bits something came to mind that seemed like a good way to hold them.

To combine these two seemed like a good idea.

I thought there were pictures taken of the early stages of this project but apparently not. A piece of scrap 2X3 was used. It was marked for a 5º slope along the sides and taken down with a jack plane. Then the test drive of the #45 was to plane a triple reed on one side for a better grip. After the reed was started it was easier to run the plane without the fence. This required a little extra attention to stay on course.

After a bit of testing on another piece of scrap it was determined the holes should be on 3/4” centers. The bottom of the tangs would rest in a 5/16” bore and the top shoulder would nestle in a 1/2” bore. This was the case for all but one bit in this group.

The centers were lain out:

From the previous trials it was apparent it would be best to pre-score the holes to prevent tear out around the edges:

This was done with a 1/2” Forstner bit.

After the 5/16” holes were drilled the height of the top shoulder of the tangs was checked:

The drill press was set to bore to 1” depth. This is where it was learned the 9/16” bore for the 1/2” bit should have started along with the pre-scoring, oh well, live & learn. The larger tang also needed the bottom hold to be 3/8”

After this the top corners felt a bit too sharp so they were rounded over:

The bits are now better organized:

There is an empty hole for a 9/32” bit. If the other bits come along a new holder will be made. One of my thoughts is to turn a box and lid on the lathe to hold a set.

jtk

Geoff Emms
09-13-2022, 4:18 AM
Jim, I thought I'd follow your plan and make a bit holder similar. Laid out about the same, the bottom half of the holes are 1/4in and the top 7/16in. I found a worn out auger bit and cut it down to give a shank with the taper on the end to use as a reamer. Using this in the drill press I taper reamed all the holes, very cautiously, as it gets very hot and is virtually burning its way down the hole.

486005 486006

I'm pretty happy with the result, thanks for the idea, Jim.

Cheers,
Geoff.

Jim Koepke
09-13-2022, 2:04 PM
Your welcome Geoff and thanks for your taper reamer idea.

I was working on a honing a taper but ended up working on salvaging the working end of the bit instead. Now there are a lot of junker bits in my pile of accumulation from which to choose. Surely some of them will have no claim to redemption.

Some may be used to make piercing bits, another future project.

jtk

Jim Koepke
09-13-2022, 2:07 PM

Cheers,
Geoff.

Geoff, a few bits similar to these have come my way. Do these have any special purpose or advantage?

TIA,

jtk

Geoff Emms
09-13-2022, 9:44 PM
Jim, I'm not sure if they had a specific purpose but I find them handy for boring shallow holes. Basically they were loose in a tub and after seeing your stepped holes project, above, I thought a good reason to make a holder for them. I'm putting together a tool box for the grandchildren to use when they're visiting so they will probably go in there.

Cheers,
Geoff.