View Full Version : Fixing a Record Vice which is racked

Brian Cargnelli
09-09-2022, 11:14 PM
So years ago I over tightened my record 52E vice on one side and it racked. My thought is to take off the face maple and plane it so that one side is narrower than the other to account for the racking. However, if I take the vice off and rebuild it would I be able to fix the racking? Or am I just going to have to live with it?

John K Jordan
09-10-2022, 12:50 AM
I know nothing about that brand but my quick-release vise was not right I’d first see if I could understand what exactly was the problem. An adjustment? Something warped, bent, broken?

So years ago I overnighted my record vice on one side and it racked. My thought is to take off the face maple and plane it so that one side is narrower than the other to account for the racking. However, if I take the vice off and rebuild it would I be able to fix the racking? Or am I just going to have to live with it?

Bill Dufour
09-10-2022, 1:46 AM
Is this a woodworking or machinist vise. Overnighting? Record went out of business and sold the name to a China based factory. No factory parts available.
Bill D

Brian Cargnelli
09-10-2022, 10:46 AM
Woodworking vise. Over tightening lol.

Wes Grass
09-10-2022, 11:01 AM
Round shaft for guides? Pressed in, or a screw thru the jaw?

If they're 'removable', try loosening the screws and see if you can shift it a bit. If not, put a block in the tight side and over tighten it until it's straight

Frederick Skelly
09-10-2022, 1:57 PM
If it's a record 52 1/2, it can probably be repaired. Here's a thread with alot of thoughts. The approach that worked for me is described in post 13. LINK (https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?223247-Repair-of-Record-52-1-2-bench-vise-2nd-time-this-has-happened-Why-what-to-do&highlight=Racking+vise)

Brian Cargnelli
09-10-2022, 3:40 PM
I actually was reading that thread last night but when I got to the garage journal post I popped over there. Side tracked again.

Brian Cargnelli
09-10-2022, 3:44 PM
I might try this last idea first. It’s embedded into my bench behind a 2x6 hard maple strip that runs the length of the bench. I’m really trying to avoid taking it off this the reason why I’ve left it this long.

Brian Cargnelli
09-10-2022, 3:45 PM
Yes I bought this 30 years ago as new old stock. It was made in the 1960’s.