PDA

View Full Version : Warning wood gloat!

Lee Schierer
01-23-2006, 12:50 PM
I walked over to see my next door neighbor yesterday and found him in the middle of a major remodeling job in his living room. He had torn out the old fireplace mantle which was a piece of rough cut lumber about 4" thick set into the wall and stained a dark brown color.

I was looking at the section that was still in the wall which he had chiseled down to be flush. It looked like cherry. After we talked about it a bit, he offered me the large pieces he had removed if I wanted them. After a quick trip through the band saw to square it up and acouple of passes over the jointer. I was looking at some nice cherry heart wood. I have two pieces about 3-1/2" square one is 3 feet long the other is nearly 7 feet long. It should be dry since it has lived above a fireplace for at least 20 years?

You never know when a nice piece of wood will find you.

Dan Oliphant
01-23-2006, 12:54 PM
That is a nice way to come across premium lumber. Great find.

Tyler Howell
01-23-2006, 12:55 PM
Nice Haul Lee,
I love those finds. Made molding for my house out of some rough sawn lumber I found stashed in the attic. Also reframing some windows from the trim of some old windows I removed.;)

Michael Ballent
01-23-2006, 1:29 PM
Nice score :)

John Miliunas
01-23-2006, 1:42 PM
What wood??? I don't see no stinkin' wood!!!! :D Nice gloat Lee but, wouldn't you prefer to make it an official gloat? :) (And to think our main Picture Cop didn't even cite you for it!!! Sheeeeesh...Good help is hard to find! :rolleyes: ):D :cool:

Jeff Sudmeier
01-23-2006, 1:46 PM
Man after the pink thong incident Tyler is really slacking!!

Congrats Lee great find and cherry to boot!

Pete Harbin
01-23-2006, 5:29 PM
Nice score Lee...and it has some history too!

Pete

Jim Dunn
01-23-2006, 6:55 PM
Wonderful find on the wood Lee. And it should be dry. If it's not that house has a major leak problem.

Now Tyler, WHERE IS YOUR AVATAR PIC?????????????????????????????????? and the pic of this here fire place mantel??

Lee Schierer
01-23-2006, 6:55 PM
Here is a photo of the smaller of the two pieces. Note the curly grain at the top end in the photo. I can hardly wait for the other piece to get cleaned up to see what I have. My neighbor may want is back when he sees it.:D

Jim Dunn
01-23-2006, 6:59 PM
Tyler tear up the ticket you wrote, Lee has come thru with a pic. Nice find.

Jim Becker
01-23-2006, 7:43 PM
Wow...a "cherry" find, my friend! :D :D It sure to pay to keep one's eyes open... ;) He scores!

Bob Noles
01-23-2006, 7:55 PM
Lee,

I would be up all night thinking of how many ways that could be put to use.

You lucky dawg......