PDA

View Full Version : Drill press and table recommendations

Prashun Patel
09-07-2022, 9:28 AM
I am looking to get a good drill press. I don’t need all the fancy computer controlled speed stuff that the nova has. Rather I just want one that has an easy to adjust table that is accurate and easy to adjust to any degree, and has a decent stroke.

Any recommendations?

Chuck Saunders
09-07-2022, 9:34 AM
And I would still recommend the Nova. Even if the only electronics you use are the start/stop and speed control. It is a very worthy drillpress.
Chuck

Maurice Mcmurry
09-07-2022, 9:35 AM
I decided to get a bench top Jet for our son when he was on the same quest.

I also have an Email from Grizzly this morning announcing continued discounts on machinery.

David M Peters
09-07-2022, 10:10 AM
I've had the Jet JDP-17 for a number of years and am still happy with it. I really like the large woodworking-oriented table.

Jim Becker
09-07-2022, 10:14 AM
If you want to go that route, the Jet that David mentions (which I have owned for decades) or similar is pretty much the defacto standard for many folks. But I have to also agree with Chuck and if I were going to buy a DP "these days" the NOVA would be my choice because it makes so many things much easier. One should never discount the ability to be able to quickly and easily manipulate the spindle RPM to optimize for the size and type of drill tooling being used in the moment. It's a pain to do that with belt driven machines which is why I sadly have left mine on pretty much "slow" speed for the couple of decades I've owned it...

Build your own DP table regardless of your choice so it's optimized for the work you intend to do for hold-down, size, etc.

Tom M King
09-07-2022, 10:16 AM
I have a Lee Valley table on my old 1150 for woodworking. One of the reasons was that I didn't want a bright red or blue one on the old drill press, but I would buy one again even without the plain color.

Prashun Patel
09-07-2022, 10:26 AM
i have lately been making chairs and instruments. These require some precise drilling at compound angles. A drillpress auxiliary table is only as good as the tilt mechanism on the press itself.

I don't drill acrylic and metal much and when I do I don't mind a quick belt change, so the Nova Voyager is definitely overkill. I don't need a smart drill press. I need one that angles conveniently and reliably and accurately.

Now, if the table tilt angle were smart and programmable and automated, I'd pay premium for that.

Jeff Roltgen
09-07-2022, 10:31 AM
+1 on the Jet JDP-17. It truly is well-tuned for woodworking. First one I ever saw that actually made the table for woodworkers vs. metal. Replaceable, easily leveled wooden insert, T-slots cast for a fence, 5" quill stroke. Even the silly laser guides are actually useful when dialed in correctly. Really love that machine.

jeff

Bernie Kopfer
09-07-2022, 10:33 AM
Variable speed adjustment is the number one qualification for me. Changing belts is a pain and like Jim I found one low speed and change only when I have to. All DPs allow for changing table angles but getting them back to dead zero quickly and accurately has not been developed yet to my knowledge.

Bill Dufour
09-07-2022, 11:49 AM
The most accurate way to set an angle is to use a sine table or an adjustable angle plate. I am not really sure how you would clamp it down once the angle is set. You could even make one bigger out of wood that would be good enough accuracy for wood working.
i am not aware of angle angle table on a drill press that is accurate for angle settings. I do not think any even have a gear drive to move them. They are just simple push and pull to adjust.
A Bridgeport mill and clones, have a head that tilts and nods to give compound angles. But limited quill stroke And not much room under the spindle.
I really think you should buy a used quality dp and a decent adjustable angle plate. Buy a three phase DP and use a VFD for variable speed. AFAIK pretty much any factory three phase dp will be better quality then what you can buy today for under $750 or so
Bill D

Prashun Patel
09-07-2022, 12:05 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I thought about an adjustable angle or milling plate. I will definitely look into the Jet. That looks like a perfectly sized machine for me.

Warren Lake
09-07-2022, 2:04 PM
bought a new General many years ago then more recent a Buffalo 18, 3 phase, with crank handle table. The general was many 100's and the Buffalo was under 75.00 used in very good shape. Never made an add on table but can see they make sense. Changing a belt doesnt bother me but will likely go into VFD land with an RPM meter.

Tom M King
09-07-2022, 3:42 PM
The belt is Really easy to change on my oldest 1150. I also have one with the Reeves drive, and like the belt changer better, plus don't know that it's much slower changing speeds. It has a knurled handle you push, and twist easily and quickly to release and tighten belt tension.

I use a Wixey cube when needing a tilted table.

David M Peters
09-07-2022, 3:58 PM
The JDP-17's table has a tapered pin holding the table at zero degrees. When it's replaced it feels very snug and solid, I like the approach.

Jim Becker
09-07-2022, 7:21 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I thought about an adjustable angle or milling plate. I will definitely look into the Jet. That looks like a perfectly sized machine for me.
I have one if you want to look before you buy.

Derek Cohen
09-07-2022, 7:35 PM
Prashun, I cannot emphasise enough the importance of dialing in the ideal speed for the drill bit. This not only is in the interest of edge longevity, but also avoiding burning. The Nova makes this extremely easy, taking all guess work out of the task. You can dial in all types and sizes of drill bits, and in all types of media, at the push of a button. Linked to this is the ease of variable speed - the hassle of changing belts is removed with the direct drive of the Nova. This means that you are more likely to set up the correct speed rather than rely (as I used to do) on a single, average speed for all tasks.

Am I trying to sell you on the Nova? I guess so … I do not know of a comparable drill press outside a Powermatic or the small Bosch. But it is more than just variable speed - it is all about setting the speed with a computer. Nova also make a smaller, less expensive model than the Voyager, called the Viking. Of course, the cost of the latter is still likely to be higher than most Chinese-made DPs, but it is a game changer if you can run to one (I am aware that these are a significant outlay, and not a priority for many). And I have not mentioned all the other features.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Prashun Patel
09-07-2022, 7:46 PM
I am sure you are right Derek. But burning is not my problem. I have a small drill press now that I have used for 15 years. The quality of the holes are fine for me.

The nova solves a problem that I do not have.

I am trying to set up angled drilling and vertical positioning easier.

Thomas Wilson
09-07-2022, 7:54 PM
I have the Delta 18-900L. I bought before the Delta changed ownership. It was out of production for a while but is back now. It has 18” between chuck and post and 6” travel. The table tilts on two axes, side to side and front to back. Two belts, three pulleys, five steps per pulley. The tension release on the middle pulley makes belt changes easy enough. I mostly leave it on the max speed which is good up to 5/16 I think. I follow the table of speeds printed inside the cover. The price is running $1840 or so.

It is a solid tool.

Mike Stelts
09-07-2022, 8:31 PM
With no reservations, I recommend you buy the Nova. An expensive way to learn the importance of drill speed, and an easy way to choose the right speed. I couldn't believe what I was missing by not changing the belt on the pulleys as much as I should; now, I push a button. Meanwhile, you get a great drill press that makes batch jobs a breeze. I couldn't believe I was paying so much for a drill press (moment of weakness) and now I can't believe that I waited so long (years of regret).

Rich Engelhardt
09-07-2022, 11:29 PM
Variable speed adjustment is the number one qualification for me. Changing belts is a pain and like Jim I found one low speed and change only when I have to. All DPs allow for changing table angles but getting them back to dead zero quickly and accurately has not been developed yet to my knowledge.Quick speed changes is the reason I went with a Wen 4214T. It's so nice to just move a handle to change speeds. My only complaint is that it only slows down to 580rpm.

For setting tables to 90* - I stick a 4 1/2" hole saw in the chuck and use that to quickly set the table.

Derek Cohen
09-08-2022, 3:11 AM
I am sure you are right Derek. But burning is not my problem. I have a small drill press now that I have used for 15 years. The quality of the holes are fine for me.

The nova solves a problem that I do not have.

I am trying to set up angled drilling and vertical positioning easier.

Prashun, speaking of drilling angles, I suspect that you have drilling chair mortices in mind? If so, I prefer to make a subtable at the desired angle. This makes for very fast changes as well as making the process less intrusive ...

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furniture/BuildingTheThreeCorneredStools_html_m1d0c8de0.jpg

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furniture/BuildingTheThreeCorneredStools_html_7b84fe66.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

Larry Frank
09-08-2022, 7:29 AM
I have had a Nova Voyager for quite a few years and smile when I use it. I was shocked to see the current price which is about two grand.

I bought it to replace my Jet drill press which had too much quill slop. The Nova has almost no run out. I do not use a lot of the features but the speed adjustment is great. However, everyone decides which tool works best for them.

I like Derek's solution for drill angles and I have done similar to make small wheels.

I would love to have a drill press table that will go up and down with a button push.

Andrew Templeton
09-08-2022, 7:35 AM
I have nothing but good things to say about my Jet JDP-17. I have looked at the Nova numerous times and played around with it, but I never found the desire to swap up to the Nova which is significantly more expensive than the Jet I bought on sale several years ago. Normally I have the desire to climb into more expensive tools than I need, but this is one of those tools I just cannot see me ever using enough to justify the difference in price. I think the reason why you see so many of these Jets out there is they work great at a reasonable price.

Scott T Smith
09-10-2022, 6:47 PM
I have the Delta 18-900L. I bought before the Delta changed ownership. It was out of production for a while but is back now. It has 18” between chuck and post and 6” travel. The table tilts on two axes, side to side and front to back. Two belts, three pulleys, five steps per pulley. The tension release on the middle pulley makes belt changes easy enough. I mostly leave it on the max speed which is good up to 5/16 I think. I follow the table of speeds printed inside the cover. The price is running $1840 or so.

It is a solid tool.

I have this same drill press in my wood shop, and have been pleased with it. When I bought it I vacillated between the Delta and the Powermatic variable speed version, but I ultimately decided that the Delta was better for my needs.

Having said that - the Nova sure looks nice and would be worthy of consideration. In my metal shop I have a variable speed Ellis drill press, and the Nova seems like a woodworking version. The only thing that I did not like about the Nova was the run out in the chuck that was obvious in one of the video's.

Derek Cohen
09-10-2022, 7:39 PM
Run out on my Nova was measured with the chuck. The result was negligible runout …

https://i.postimg.cc/2jshrLnZ/Runout1.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/dVBy2Wp2/Runout3.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

Alan Lightstone
09-10-2022, 8:42 PM
Prashun:

I don't need to jump on the bandwagon for the Nova Voyager (OK, I can't help it, I love mine), but that being said, I really like Derek's approach to angles.

As far as height adjustment is concerned, don't most if not all drill presses have a similar height adjustment mechanism? Never really thought about it. Just the ones I have owned were all pretty similar.

What I really struggle with is a convenient way to clamp workpieces to the drill press table. Outside of a homemade table I made with cross t-tracks, none have worked well for me. I love the Woodpeckers fence/dust collection setup and the drawer underneath, that drawer makes clamping difficult.

Ole Anderson
09-11-2022, 8:38 AM
Two features I couldn't live without: a quill lock and a geared table lift.

Justin Rapp
09-11-2022, 11:30 AM
I also have a Jet, it's a 17" forgot the exact model number but i've hat it for over a decade. It's belt driven and while it isn't a big deal to change the speed, if I was to invest in one today it would be electronically controlled. I also have a woodpecker drill table (not the new DP-pro). Price was about 150 buck or so when I bought it and included hold downs and clamps so it wasn't worth building my own.

Steve Demuth
09-12-2022, 9:48 AM
I am aware of all the reasons not to like Delta tools, but I nonetheless recommend the Delta 18-900L for your situation. I've had one for about five years, and it has been a rock solid, reliable and robust machine. It has two axis table tilt, a heavy duty table height adjustment rack with cranked pinion. Spindle runout is about .001" and the depth stop is handly and easily adjusted. And while the advocates for the Nova will say changing belts for speed adjustments is a hassle, I don't see it. It takes about 30 seconds on the Delta - a pretty minor part of any setup. My only gripes on the Delta (which I bought new) are that the fit and finish on the chuck were not good, the gooseneck on the built-in LED light is about 6" too short for good positioning on many setups (so I use off-tool lighting sometimes), and the laser crosshairs are a worthless frill to my taste. All pretty minor and easily fixed.

And, as an added bonus, compared to the Nova, it's all mechanical. I am not anti-electronics, but I do avoid them where the added value of the complexity and fragility they add is marginal.

George Yetka
09-12-2022, 3:10 PM
I have the pm2800 and do like it. I got it right when the original Nova came out. It seemed the logical choice at the time as the Nova was too new. I would probably get the Nova today. The Pm2800 has an easy to adjust speed wheel with a digital display. so speed control is easy but not digital. The factory table was workable but I recently built a table and added the woodpecker fence to it. I think no matter what your choice you will need an auxilary table for woodworking, whether it be complex or simply a sheet of ply with 2 tracks in it

Brian Holcombe
09-13-2022, 11:22 AM
A sine plate is used for checking angles, it’s not a machining fixture.

Steve Demuth
09-13-2022, 4:38 PM
A sine plate is used for checking angles, it’s not a machining fixture.

That's not how the industry sees it. From the Grainger catalogue:

Sine plates hold workpieces or fixtures at a specific angle to guide accurate machining of angles. Also called sine tables, they have a top plate that tilts out from the surface plate to set up an exact angle.

If you look at sine plates in almost any machine shop, they are highly likely to have holes tapped in the top surface, for attaching clamps to hold workpieces.

https://www.zoro.com/static/cms/product/full/Grainger_G6383909.jpg

Prashun Patel
09-13-2022, 5:01 PM
Brian, what are you drilling with these days?

Brian Holcombe
09-13-2022, 6:44 PM
That's not how the industry sees it. From the Grainger catalogue:

Sine plates hold workpieces or fixtures at a specific angle to guide accurate machining of angles. Also called sine tables, they have a top plate that tilts out from the surface plate to set up an exact angle.

If you look at sine plates in almost any machine shop, they are highly likely to have holes tapped in the top surface, for attaching clamps to hold workpieces.

https://www.zoro.com/static/cms/product/full/Grainger_G6383909.jpg

That is definitely not how the industry sees it. The fixturing points are for clamping things but not to be machined, for setup and inspection.

I spoke with Suburban Tool about this a number of years ago and was warned that I would eventually get to enjoy a nice ride to the hospital if I made a habit of using a sine plate as a machining fixture. I bought some vise jaws that allowed me to clamp at many angles and use that.

Brian Holcombe
09-13-2022, 6:44 PM
Brian, what are you drilling with these days?

I bought a Japanese made drill press for the workshop and for anything heavy duty I just use the mailing machine.

Rod Dilyard
09-14-2022, 1:31 PM
I'm a little late to the party, but would encourage you to look at the Powermatic 2820EVR. I had the Delta drill press pictured below for nearly 40 years before I finally had enough of it's rattling lack of precision and overall poor build and decided to upgrade. I have to say that changing speeds by moving belts vs turning a dial is a lot like controlling the temperature in your car manually or with automatic climate control. Both get the job done, but once you've had climate control you find yourself annoyed at having to constantly fiddle with the temperature and fan speed. I looked at both the Nova and Powermatic and had the good fortune to be able to see both side-by-side at Keim Lumber (https://www.keimlumber.com/). For the way I work the added electronic features of the Nova just wouldn't get used and I really like the depth stop design on the Powermatic. The more I use it the better I like it. The laser guides are easy to set up and have so far stayed dead-on accurate and just dialing in a speed is one of those little things that I never want to give up. The quill handles are very hefty which lends to a feeling of solid control while drilling which, again, I didn't realize how much of a difference that makes. Plan on replacing the chuck, but I think that's the case for almost any drill press. I bought mine right before the price jump last year so that would make the choice a little more difficult if I had to make it today.

486096 486097

Maurice Mcmurry
09-14-2022, 8:16 PM
+1 for Powermatic. Like Jet they use ISO factory's in Taiwan rather than unregulated factories in China.

Doug Colombo
09-17-2022, 9:21 AM
I've had the Jet JDP-17 for a number of years and am still happy with it. I really like the large woodworking-oriented table.
+1. I have been very pleased with mine

Prashun Patel
09-18-2022, 12:41 PM
I ended up buying the Nova Voyager. I want this to be my “last” drill press. This one has some nice features.

The table is quite large. The travel is huge.

The bells and whistles on the programming are more than just speed changes. I can see myself using these.

Anyway. Thanks for all of the advice.

Alan Lightstone
09-18-2022, 1:05 PM
Enjoy. You'll really love it.

Jim Becker
09-18-2022, 7:06 PM
If I were going to buy a new drill press, I would have likely made the same decision, Prashun. Congrats!

Larry Edgerton
09-25-2022, 8:45 AM
Prashun, I looked a (https://sawmillcreek.org/member.php?17220-Prashun-Patel)round and bought a used Clausing. Table up and down is smooth and easy, but fixed at 90 degrees, exactly both ways. Runout is zero, always. Mine is 2 speed motor with the reeves drive and I control it with a Teco VFD so I can get it down to about 5rpm for drilling plastics. I handle the angle drilling with a machinists fixture I bought used, mount it on the side of the table when doing long stuff. Its heavy, very heavy, but that makes it solid as a rock. I ended up with $1252.00 in it when it was all set up. Oh, and the reeves drive works flawlessly, but one must clamp when using large bits as this WILL NOT SLIP and will not slow down. Learned that the hard way. I love it! Replaced a Powermatic and am not sorry.

Just an option I had not seen mentioned. Hope all is well my friend

Opps, just read to the end and see you bought a Nova. Nice drill press!

Prashun Patel
09-25-2022, 11:35 AM
Thanks, Larry. Hope you are well too!

The Nova has not yet arrived, but (like any kid) I am getting excited. Shop re-org has begun.

glenn bradley
09-26-2022, 9:19 AM
Congrats. If I ever buy a new one (now that I inherited dad's old Delta I'm pretty well set) it would be a Voyager.

John K Jordan
09-26-2022, 4:09 PM
I am looking to get a good drill press. I don’t need all the fancy computer controlled speed stuff that the nova has. Rather I just want one that has an easy to adjust table that is accurate and easy to adjust to any degree, and has a decent stroke.
Any recommendations?

I see this is an older thread any you may have already decided but here is my take. Maybe someone is interested.

I have both floor-standing and bench-top drill presses, both older Deltas. No fancy electronics to go out years from now with expensive or unavailable repair/replacement boards.

My floor drill press has a greater quill depth which is nice on occasion. Both have tables that are quick and easy to adjust up and down. Both have flip up tops with easy speed change by moving a belt on pulleys, printed speed table inside.

I do not like either for fine adjustment of angles. I bought an angled vise instead and use that.

But just like when I want to cut angles on the bandsaw I prefer to make a temporary angled table with a wooden wedge or tilted piece of plywood to sit on top/clamp to the horizontal table. For special things that need precise control I make an angled jig, such as this one, to recently drill precise holes into the bottom of a turned lidded box. I've made several of these, quick to make, but someday I'll make and adjustable one.

486756 486757 486758

BTW, the biggest reason I have two is I use one for wood and the other for metals. I don't want to contaminate the wood with cutting fluids, oil, and fine metal shavings.

Oh, and for several reasons I don't like keyless chucks but prefer good quality keyed chucks.

One drill press tip: I drill a hole near the corner in the top of the plastic belt/pulley cover and put the key there. It is always there, never lost or misplaced! Been doing this for 40 years.

And I found a picture of the angled vise for the drill press. More precise and flexible than tilting the table.

JKJ

Prashun Patel
10-02-2022, 10:31 AM

Up and running.

Getting the headstock onto the post alone was difficult. I used a block and tackle and relearned a lot of pulley math.

My shop made mobile base makes the press a tad tall. But it’s fine.

Jim Becker
10-02-2022, 10:42 AM
Looks great! I think you're going to enjoy that DP, Prashun. It's certainly what I would buy if I were going to get a new one for sure.

I guess your big, strong son didn't volunteer to help with the lifting? Probably off doing important teen things. LOL

Derek Cohen
10-02-2022, 10:49 AM
Prashun, unless you are 6 foot +, it will be too high. I am 5’ 10” and needed to drop it lower.

This generic steel mobile base lowers the drill press base to within 1/2” off the floor. It is also more stable.

https://i.postimg.cc/0jbL8Ybp/Building-ADrill-Press-Table-html-173f66f6.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Regards from Perth

Derek

Prashun Patel
10-02-2022, 11:25 AM
Derek,

Thx. I will leave it as is. Before I made mine, I read your previous thread suggesting that the base made yours initially too tall. I too am 5'10" and I carefully considered making my base shorter.

However, it's fine. I can operate it just fine. I like the workpiece closer to my eyes without having to stoop.

It is plenty stable. My casters double lock and I've used these kinds of wheels on other equipment to my satisfaction.

If it's a problem, I'll convert to lower profile steel channel. Thx.

Jim,

It was too heavy for even my son and I to lift above shoulder height. It's an awkward shape, improperly distributed, and the hole has to line up perfectly with the post to slide on. The solution was a block and tackle. Even with the 3 pulleys in the included B&T, the load was still a little heavy for my puny arms, so I added 2 more.

I am sure you guys are way more experienced in this, but what I realized late is that the auxiliary pulley was installed to far from the B&T (Don't ask why I mounted them wide like a noob), which meant as the height was increased, the angle created by the headstock, and the two pulleys increased. Long story short, that meant the pulleys became less efficient as I got higher and I had to pull harder to raise it the same incremental distance. Regardless, it still worked surprisingly well.

Ron Selzer
10-02-2022, 5:08 PM
Enjoy that drill press!
Used one last week for the first time
Took a while to figure out how to turn it on and turn the speed down to less than 200, quit at 280?? might be all the slower it goes
Just needed a few seconds with a slow turning small bit to extract a broken bolt.
Nice smooth operation, definitely need to read the book before doing much with it.
Ron

Larry Frank
10-02-2022, 7:23 PM
It would be nice if they designed lifting points on the drill press head. It is smooth and rounded a d heavy which makes it difficult to lift.

Prashun Patel
10-02-2022, 8:07 PM
In fact, on the top of the head there is a rubber grommet that reveals a threaded hole. It’s probably for attaching an eye bolt so the machine to prevent tipping. I used that as a lifting point.

Brian Tymchak
10-03-2022, 9:27 PM
In fact, on the top of the head there is a rubber grommet that reveals a threaded hole. It’s probably for attaching an eye bolt so the machine to prevent tipping. I used that as a lifting point.

Hmm, I think Nova added something new since I bought mine in November, 2019. I think if I described how I got the head onto the column you all would throw me off the Creek.