PDA

View Full Version : Great Video of an Incredible 8'x6' Shop

Stew Denton
09-06-2022, 11:28 PM
Hi All,

There is a YouTube video on a guy with a 48 square foot workshop. It is incredible what he has in there and how incredibly efficient it is.

The guy has a bandsaw, table saw, drill press, lathe, thickness planer, belt/disk sander, scroll saw, a powerful home built dust collector that he calls "the beast," and a pancake compressor for his brad nailer. He stores power tools like the compressor, thickness planer, and scroll saw, etc., in spaces in cabinets/stands that he built for his larger power tools.

He has quite a few jigs that he built to increase the flexibility and utility of his power tools.

A lot of hand tools that are mounted on the wall, but due to room I suppose, I only saw 2 full size planes. He does not have room for a power jointer, so he uses a jointer hand plane. He has chisels, gouges, screw drivers, clamps, hammers, mallets, saws, sharpening stones both diamond and oil, etc., etc., etc.

He pulls out tools as he needs them, and puts them back immediately after use since he says there is no room to leave them setting out.

He makes use of the lathe bed by removing the end piece and tool rest, putting things away behind the lathe, and has a small bench top that he sets on top of the lathe bed to make great use of that space. Likewise his assembly table is a bench top that sets on the table saw top when the table saw is not being used.

On one wall he has hand power tools, routers, drills, a jig saw, etc., in individual lift off the wall boxes and there are also accessories for those tools mounted on that wall.

The most impressive thing is that the shop has so much stuff in it but does not appear crowded in spite of all the stuff, and he has room in there to actually work.

Of course the power tools are not the huge variety, but are good quality and he does precision work with them. To use the band saw for large size work he sets it in the doorway, and by aiming it to the corner can cut an 8' piece. If he has to cut larger stock, he waits for a nice day and sets the table saw outside.

The shop is frighteningly neat, amazingly well organized, incredibly clean, and it appears that guy does very nice work in it, and not just jewelry boxes and other tiny projects.

It is very much worth the time to watch the video. It gives a lot of great ideas. I will say this, there does not seem to be much in the way of duplicate tools that waste space. He has needed stuff, but no "fluff" or extras that just set around gathering dust. (However there doesn't appear to be any dust in his shop.) He tools all appear to be well cared for and in great condition. No rust much that I noticed, but then I was taken by how well it was organized and wasn't looking for rust either.

It is the best example I have ever seen of a place for everything and everything ALWAYS in it's place.

It is on YouTube, and to find the video type in "8x6 Tiny Workshop Tour," there is more to the title than that, but that will bring up the video.

Regards,

Stew

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCtRWwvGHeY

steven c newman
09-08-2022, 7:01 PM
Somehow, I know what the guy is going through......

Stew Denton
09-09-2022, 12:56 AM
Steven,

I hadn't thought about it until I saw your reply above, but when I saw I immediately thought that you are also a guy that has a lot of stuff in a relatively tight area. It always looks like you have a lot of stuff stored in your shop, based on your shop photos, but it always looks like it is a workable shop, even if a bit crowded.

It has been great to follow the cabinets, etc., you have built over the years to greatly improve the storage and organization of your shop. Now that I can see a shop of my own within the next couple of years or so, I hope, I have thought a lot more about the storage projects you and other Neanders have posted over the years. More ideas about storage to mull over I guess.

Stew