PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Dennis Peacock
09-05-2022, 8:18 PM
5 Sep 2022

Greetings,
Wow! I'm getting a start on this before later in the week! Maybe it's because it's a holiday and I'm not at the daily grind. :)

Been working in the yard, cleaning gutters, and even put some ribs and a Boston Butt pork roast on the grill/smoker. Had supper with my family and mad all my kids here eating with us around the table (expect my oldest who passed away last November). It was so nice having so many around our dinner table once again. I sure missed those days. Got plans to make #2 son matching nightstands to go with his bed now that the weather is cooling down a bit. I think I'm ready to get back out there and do a bit of sawdust creation before long.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past week?

Best of weeks to you all.

Bruce Wrenn
09-05-2022, 8:58 PM
On Monday finished cutting out 618 Toys for Tot's car bodies. Need to do another 150 as soon as wood is given to me from the person planing and sizing it, which saves a lot of sanding. Over the years, I have cut out over 10,000 of these bodies. Spent a large amount of time rebuilding the front suspension on my 1994 Ford Areostar van. Replaced both upper and lower A-arm bushings and ball joints. Did the tie rod ends a couple years back. All of these were OEM from 1994 (actually Dec 1993.) One bushing did not want to cooperate. Had to resort to using 20 hydraulic press to get it out. Going back in wasn't fun either. I think the hole in A frame was punched slightly under size. All the others (seven) popped out with no problem. Replaced brake hoses, but one leaked no matter what I tried. I ordered another replacement hose and a reman caliper. This way, no matter which is the cause of the leak, I'm good to go. This van will turn a quarter million miles before next oil change. Started getting things lined up for State Fair Ministry. Didn't need to cut grass, as again we had no rain. Two miles in either direction from us, they had several inches. Since early June we have had a little over an inch of rain. Things are dry. Grass crunches when you walk on it. Have a friend's table which I need to re attach two legs to center column. The dowels broke once before and someone Gorilia glued back together, which failed. This time I will use a loose tenon to hold it in place. Table was built somewhere around 1920 - 1940 period. Hardest part is working out details for jig to guide the router to cut mortises. As usual, attended worship services on Sunday.

Maurice Mcmurry
09-06-2022, 8:41 AM
2 days last week I built and installed 7 utility shelving units made from Radiata Pine. I use my trusty old Craftsman radial arm saw to cut the dados. Monday I mucked out the water feature (mud feature) at the woodlot. I felt a little lonely as the family is all elsewhere. My self pity feels very small after reading of Dennis Peacocks very sad loss last year. Condolences Dennis.

485605 485606

Jim Becker
09-06-2022, 9:21 AM
Get in that shop, Dennis!! (when you recover from all that good food, of course... :) )

This past week featured getting the "scrap vanity" project nearly complete...it's physically installed and functional...with a few more small things to do to complete the guest bath renewal. I also took delivery of the SCM/Minimax SC3C that I ordered for the new shop. It came in two months early so it has to be stored in the temporary gara-shop for now. I can smile at it all I want, but it necessarily has to stay on the pallet and not be used accordingly. This week I'll be finishing up the guest bath and hopefully will be getting a big truck piled with "building parts" on Thursday (as long as today's rain doesn't affect the schedule) and a bunch of deep holes drilled so they can get inspected before the actual build next week that is scheduled. Cross your crossables that the schedule holds...I'm "itchy". :)

Brian Runau
09-06-2022, 3:15 PM
Finished my simple shadowbox. Pictures and stickers from La Frendrich Cigar out of Evansville, IN. My grandfather was a production supervisor there and played on the company baseball team back in the 1920's. I used to go in with him on Saturday mornings. Stole these stickers when I was 10-12 years old. Brian

Maurice Mcmurry
09-06-2022, 5:20 PM
[QUOTE]

What a neat family treasure!
I do not smoke other than an occasional puff on my home made cherry wood pipe with some home grown tobacco. I worked in the tobacco fields and barns for two seasons during school days. I have a bit of nostalgia for tobacco. I like the Native American connection. No one grows commercially around here any more. I miss seeing the spring beds and summer plants so I grow some every few years. Our Son lives in Durham NC a few blocks from the Duke Homestead. I have walked around the grounds a bit. Next visit I hope to get inside the tobacco museum. I have read that without American tobacco both world wars might have gone on longer.

Brian Runau
09-06-2022, 5:40 PM
Maurice, thanks. I would make the rounds with him of the steam rooms where the tobacco was curing. I can still smell it. One picture is him with the baseball team. Thanks brian

Maurice Mcmurry
09-06-2022, 6:04 PM
There has not been any tobacco In Dads barn for over 40 years, The smell is still present. It is detectable along with years or Cow, Horse, Pig, and Sheep manure. A nostalgic cocktail of aromas.