PDA

View Full Version : Shaker Hancock workbench

Blake M Williams
09-05-2022, 7:43 PM
Recently moved and I'm building a new bench. I've had the Workbench book for awhile and have always wanted the workbench he put on the cover. Now I have the room.

I like the look and style and would like to build one. Anyone here have any rough measurements of the workbench? Post sizes, stretcher measurements, ect..

I'm not looking for plans to other benches, I want to make The Hancock bench. I have a rough idea started. Any additional photos or measurements outside of the book would be a great help as I put together my drawings in CAD.

William Fretwell
09-05-2022, 10:59 PM
The concept of the bench is all you really need. You can size the bench based on your reach, height etc. Rigid measurements don’t apply as people have changed, the type of work has also changed, the wood available has changed.

From my perspective the end vise is fabulous, the front vise screw very restrictive and the drawers a pain at best. When the sliding support is in use they are impossible! The lack of a tool tray is also a huge productivity issue.

On a more positive note, building it is very good for the soul and using it will calm your nerves.

David Bassett
09-06-2022, 1:20 AM
... Any additional photos or measurements outside of the book....

You mean more than he has in the appendix? (At least the recent LAP edition seems to have dimensioned plans in the back.)

Will Myers, on his Blog, says Hancock Shaker Village, https://hancockshakervillage.org/, has it's entire collection cataloged with photos and some dimensions at https://hancockshakervillage.pastperfectonline.com/ Maybe they'll have what you want.

Good luck.

Peter Milano
09-06-2022, 7:18 AM
As previously stated the book has several pages of very detailed drawings. I believe every piece is sized almost exactly. I seem to remember the overall the bench is about 11 feet long. You should be able to go over the drawings in the book and put together a very exact cut list. It also shows most of the joinery. I believe the drawer runners were just screwed into the end frames. It looks like they used different sized front and rear legs and used blocking to build out the sides. Sort of utilitarian exactly as you would expect a Shaker to build a workbench. I think it would be a fantastic project to undertake. Please take lots of pictures and post your progress.

Charles Guest
09-06-2022, 11:37 AM
Recently moved and I'm building a new bench. I've had the Workbench book for awhile and have always wanted the workbench he put on the cover. Now I have the room.

I like the look and style and would like to build one. Anyone here have any rough measurements of the workbench? Post sizes, stretcher measurements, ect..

I'm not looking for plans to other benches, I want to make The Hancock bench. I have a rough idea started. Any additional photos or measurements outside of the book would be a great help as I put together my drawings in CAD.

The Landis book has the measured drawings in the appendix.