PDA

View Full Version : On Line Sales?

Jim Koepke
09-03-2022, 3:54 PM
Sometimes the ad copy for items on line is a bit dubious:

Interesting at the top it says solid brass and down in the copy it says solid stainless steel.

I purchased a bunch of "brass hinges" at Thrift Town that I knew were brass plated, but they were like 50¢ a pack. At times I do carry a magnet when looking for the real thing. Though some stainless steels will not react to a magnet.

jtk

Bill Dufour
09-03-2022, 5:11 PM
What I love are the "silver" stuff sold at home depot. I doubt even super rich people have solid silver downspouts.
Bill D.

Jim Koepke
09-03-2022, 5:56 PM
What I love are the "silver" stuff sold at home depot. I doubt even super rich people have solid silver downspouts.
Bill D.

Some antique furniture has silver inlays and other ornamentation. Not for your average citizen at the time.

Though it is highly doubtful any one shopping at Home Depot would be buying "silver" most likely that is what they are calling Chrome these days, "silver color surface" or something to that effect.

Here is a page on George Wilson's instrument making > http://www.cybozone.com/fg/wilson.html < One of the guitars pictured has some silver inlay. These of course are modern made.

jtk

Bill Dufour
09-04-2022, 5:23 PM
What bugged me at How Despot was the bronze door kick plates. I bought one and got it home before I found it was painted aluminum. Who thinks painted thin steel is agood for gutter sand downspouts?
Bill D