PDA

View Full Version : Router Table In Right or Left Wing?

Mike Goetzke
01-23-2006, 11:34 AM
On my old saw (a benchtop) I had the router to the right. My new saw is a Craftsman 22124 and I keep wondering if it would be best to put the router to the right or left.

My garage is my shop so I need to move the saw against the wall when not in use. In my case the right side of the saw goes against the wall. My old saw was built on a nice mobile cabinet with lots of storage. It would be hard to duplicate this on my new saw. So I was thinking of building a storage cabinet against the wall and just letting the right wing over hang it. But, if I mount the router to the right it would need to be removed every time before storage. If I mount the router to the left I give up my nice-strong cast iron table (or can I mount two cast iron extensions to the right - might be too much cantilevered weight).

Thanks,

Mike

Jim Becker
01-23-2006, 11:55 AM
Although I can't do it with my LT saw, if I were going to mount a router on my saw, I'd prefer it on the left side since the right side is generally towards a wall and my overarm guard would interfere with router operation. But I'd also probably consider one of the cast iron "router" wings (such as the BenchDog) to keep the mass, rather than replacing a cast iron wing with something less substantial...'just a personal preference.

Reg Mitchell
01-23-2006, 8:22 PM
left for me and i am thinking about the cast iron wing from general for the saw too.....

Jim O'Dell
01-23-2006, 8:42 PM
I built an extension for my contractor saw to the right and made an insert for a router to bolt to, but never completed it. In thinking about this question over the weekend, I think either way, you will need some extra support for the weight, especially if you add on to the existing wings. If you plan to build or buy an overarm guard/dust collection hood for the blade, and/or if you think you'll ever buy one of the micro adjustable fences for the router/saw, then the left side is the only one that makes sense. Jim.

Bob Reeve
01-23-2006, 10:49 PM
I have a right tilt jet cabinet saw and put a Bench Dog Cast Iron table on the left side. This is the side away from the wall in my shop and it has been great. A side benefit is the Bench Dog table is wider than the standard table.

Kurt Voss
01-27-2006, 9:49 PM
I've got mine on the left and that way can push my TS fence over and use it for the router table.

Russ Massery
01-27-2006, 10:23 PM
Mine's on the right as part of the extension table. Mainly because it's faces the part of the shop that I have more room behind me.

Doug Jones
01-27-2006, 10:31 PM
Mike, really it could be on either side, but in the end only you can truely answer this question. Don't ask "which side would be the best", ask "on which side would it be the worst for you"?