PDA

View Full Version : WoodCraft Brand Chisels

Cory Neidig
09-03-2022, 12:27 PM
Hey everyone, first post ever here...

so yesterday i was waiting for my son to get out of rock band practice at his school and there was a yard sale across the street. i walked over to kill time and ended up finding a recent, but older framing chisel in great condition. No handle, just the socket chisel. It's a Woodcraft chisel, reads "WoodCraft - Made in UK".

A 1 1/2" Framing chisel for 15$? yes please.

so i brought it home and spent the evening turning a nice Ash handle for it, and Ive been trying like hell to find any information about it, and it seems that Woodcraft doesn't sell their own brand name chisels anymore. I'm wondering if anyone has any information about the value of it, about when did WC stop branding their own chisels with the WC name/logo?

A485397485398485399485400485401ny help would be appreciated!

Jim Koepke
09-03-2022, 3:14 PM
Hi Cory and welcome to the Creek.

Good find, I would have asked if they would take $10. :D

I used to keep their old catalogs starting in the 1980s but then they were mostly tossed out.

I think they had their own brand on items up until they began selling Wood River branded products. My recollection this was around the end of 2009.

They have been around for quite a while.

jtk

Cory Neidig
09-03-2022, 6:34 PM
Hey Jim,

Thanks for the response! Yeah that’s kind of what I figured…

I did find this

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/woodcraft-chisel-timber-frame-post-74998133

Which prices it around $120 in ‘08 which matches your recollection of them switching to WoodRiver. I should have asked if they’d take $10! It was an older fella and we had a good little chat, so I came out of that transaction pretty satisfied. I was definitely excited as I have a Barr and an unmarked framing chisel, both 2”… so adding the 1 1/2” for $15 and minimal sharpening is a win in my book!

Side question… Is Pinnacle a WoodCraft brand as well?

Thanks again, hope all is well!

Edward Weber
09-03-2022, 7:34 PM
Yes, go to Woodcraft and type in pinnacle in the search. It covers much of their turning tools and some firmer chisels. Their offerings change from year to year, it seems. I have a nice boxed set of pinnacle chisels with Bubinga handles (made in China) that they no longer carry.