PDA

View Full Version : Rivnut Too/Kit...Anyone Use This?

Derek Arita
09-03-2022, 10:37 AM
I've been interested in getting a Rivnut Kit, however there are a few different types out there. Does anyone have any recommendations on which type work best and which to get? I've seen the ratchet type and that looks pretty easy to operate, but the one I saw is pretty expensive. I do want to use it for metric and imperial sizes.

John Ziebron
09-03-2022, 11:33 AM
Derek, I purchased a kit from Amazon 3 years ago and have been very happy with it. The brand is Ginour and it came as a kit with both metric and imperial sizes along with a bunch of rivnuts. They don't carry the exact model I bought but this one is close. Amazon shows it as currently unavailable but you can get an idea of the size. https://www.amazon.com/ginour-Mandrels-Reaming-Carrying-Fasteners/dp/B08DKKQ3LY

If I were to purchase one now from what I know it would be this model (same brand) which has slightly longer handles but that is because you get the larger sizes of M12 and 3/8 which require more leverage for compression. I have bought stainless steel rivnuts for outdoor projects and they require more leverage for compression than the equivalent steel size so the longer handles would be better.
https://www.amazon.com/Ginour-Release-Professional-Mandrels-Plastic/dp/B08J677FK1/ref=sr_1_4?crid=U65M1NG7079O&keywords=ginour+rivet&qid=1662218720&s=automotive&sprefix=ginour+rivet%2Cautomotive%2C226&sr=1-4

Or buy it for less at Walmart with free shipping.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ginour-Rivet-Nut-Tool-Gun-17-Riveters-With-110-pcs-Nuts-Auto-Eject-Professional-Settering-Kit-Carry-Case-11-Metric-Inch-Mandrels-Automatic/316104559

Alex Zeller
09-03-2022, 12:14 PM
I have an Astro Pneumatics brand one. It looks like a traditional pop rivet. It's a model 1443B. It does up to 1/4" rivnuts. I got the Astro Pneumatic brand because I read that if not careful you can break the mandrels (the threaded part that compresses the rivnut) and they are a known brand that sells replacement parts. Replacement mandrels are sold on Amazon. I haven't had any issues with it. I rarely use the aluminum rivnuts but have installed lots of stainless ones. I recently installed rivnuts on my Woodmaster drum sander. It may not be the cheapest one and mandrels may fit some of the weird named Chinese brands on Amazon but I didn't want to take a chance.

Paul F Franklin
09-03-2022, 12:24 PM
I have a kit from Marson tools that does poly, aluminum, steel and stainless rivet nuts up to at least 1/4 diameter. It has a setter shaped like the typical pop rivet tool and comes with interchangeable mandrels and nose pieces to handle all the common sizes, plus you can buy odd sizes mandrels from Marson. I think I bought the kit from McMaster, and they have a good selection of rivet nuts as well. That size and style tool works fine for sizes up to 3/8 or so. beyond that, I'd look at the style that resembles a set of bolt cutters, usually called lever style. McMaster also sells wrench driven setting tools that work well for larger sizes.

Tom M King
09-03-2022, 12:45 PM
Mine is so old that I don't remember the manufacturer. In the early '80's I had a step van that I needed to fasten shelves to the heavy sheet metal walls with. I still have the same Rivnut kit, and have used it a number of times. The tool just looks like a rivet gun with a screw mandrel on the end instead of rivet jaws. You screw the insert on the end, pop it like a pop rivet, and unscrew the mandrel.

I know they make some fancier ones with hydraulic pullers, but I've never used one. I expect they all work okay. It's a simple thing.