PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Dennis Peacock
09-01-2022, 4:56 PM
29 Aug 2022

Greetings,
Now that the temps are getting a tiny bit cooler, I'm starting to get "the bug" to get back in the shop again. My Army son is home to stay now and I plan on getting him to help me in my shop with a couple of projects. The day job has been taking way too many hours each day and I've been seriously thinking about retiring or finding something less demanding to take away some of the stress and hours worked each day. I wished I could just retire and do what I want. :)

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past week?

Best of weeks to you all.

Jim Becker
09-01-2022, 8:23 PM
'Glad that your son can spend some time with you in the shop, Dennis. And for you, it should help a little with the stress, too.

This past week was largely focused on finishing up the "scrap vanity" project as well as the guest bathroom it will be living in. As of today, the vanity is ready to install and the room is nearly ready for me to install it. Paint is done other than a few small touch-ups, shower/tub fixtures are all replaced and the electrical/lighting updates are done. I only have trim and the vanity left on the list. My daughter's SO is coming over tomorrow afternoon to help me get the vanity upstairs so I can move forward to completion. I also spent some time today preparing for the "really big crate" that I'm picking up tomorrow from the local FedEX freight terminal...my SC3C slider arrived in the US nearly two months early, so I'm going to wrangle the crate into the temporary gara-shop until I have a building to put it in. The shipping cost was painful, but I'll be back to working with the kind of table saw I prefer once I have the space for it.

Speaking of space...tee minus one week until "building parts" arrive on a big truck and a bunch of holes get drilled in the ground. :) :D

Paul F Franklin
09-02-2022, 10:23 AM
I finally conquered my motivation "bottleneck" and filled all the nail holes in a whole lot of trim, and got the inside of my front door painted. I now have an empty punch list for that whole project.

I picked up all the materials for the new blueberry enclosure for the garden and will start on that this week. Against my better judgement, I ordered a 100' x 4' roll of hardware cloth from Amazon, because the price was a *lot* less than I could fine locally. But it seems they can't actually successfully ship it to me, two attempts have been severely damaged in shipment and were returned to amazon by the shipper before I even saw them. So I bit the bullet and bought locally.

I've been working on my utility trailer as time permits. I replaced all the hinges on the rear gate because my buddy managed to shear the old ones off when he dropped a concreted slab in the bed without removing the tailgate. To his credit, he welded up new hinges so all I had to do was install them. He would have done it but doesn't have the tooling for big rivets. I picked up new material to replace the bed and will do that when time permits.

I've made no progress on my console bookcase; the weather has been nice so I've focused on outside stuff for now.

Aaron Liebling
09-02-2022, 6:07 PM
Built a small case for some of my new chisels. It was really an excuse to try using the router for cutting dovetails (since I usually do it by hand). It was definitely faster and with practice I can imagine getting very clean results.

The wood is a mix of sapele and iroko (leftovers from other projects) with magnets (concealed by walnut plugs) holding the chisel blades in place.