PDA

View Full Version : Not my day to be woodworking.

Lee Schierer
09-01-2022, 12:04 PM
I have a project that needs to be finished soon so I planned on having a whole day in the shop First the band saw blew a tire. Just now I started sanding some parts and my ROS made weird noises and the disc slowed to a crawl. It turns out that the disc bearing is bad. I will be able to get a new one today locally for $20.

Warren Lake
09-01-2022, 12:15 PM
always had deadlines, some unreasonable.

Duplicates of most to all machines in case one broke while working. My general planer used to break sheer pins wasted time, more pressure and hands covered in transmission oil. Happy when it left and have a second combo as back up in case the first one ever broke but it never skipped a beat.

Frederick Skelly
09-01-2022, 2:09 PM
Lee, maybe you should stop for the day? Seriously.
Please stay safe.

Bryan Hall
09-01-2022, 2:38 PM
Perfect day to fire up any machine you've been waiting on to die so you can replace it.

Seriously though, sorry about the bad luck.

Brian Tymchak
09-01-2022, 3:43 PM
You're a real trooper Lee. My day would've ended when I changed my shorts after losing the tire on the BS.

Lee Schierer
09-01-2022, 10:05 PM
Update. I found a bearing locally. It was on the other side of town from where I live. I drove out and picked it up. After taking it out of the package, it wouldn't fit over the shaft it is supposed to slip on. Called the Bearing house. Oops you needed the -16 bearing we gave you the wrong one. Same price, but required another trip across town.

Needless to say the shop work ended for the day. Tomorrow I get to put the sander back together. I did clean all the accumulated dust from inside the sander and glued some pieces of the project together.

Tom Bain
09-02-2022, 7:47 PM
I think we’ve all had days like that, when the woodworking gods are just pointing and laughing at us.