PDA

View Full Version : ROS Recommendations

Robert Waddell
01-23-2006, 10:15 AM
I've been using a pair of PC 333's for two or three years now. They work ok when they work. Every several months they need new bearings. That was fine when I could get them done for half the price of a new unit. I would just rotate them and always have one operational. Now the factory service center wants $50 to change bearings on a $60 sander. Changing out the bearings myself would cost me even more in time. I use a ROS everyday sometimes for hours at a time. Regular replacement with new units may just be a cost of doing business but I wanted to ask you other pro's that work'm hard if you have found a model that will take the abuse of everyday and all day use. I was thinking Bosch or Festool. What's your thoughts?
Thanks for your insight.

Tyler Howell
01-23-2006, 10:28 AM
One word, Festool. Call the SMC Uncle Bob of your choice.:cool:

Charlie Plesums
01-23-2006, 10:29 AM
A friend and full time woodworker had the same problem...wearing out the bearings on the PC. He found that with a little engineering he was able to get the bearing off and install a new one with a screw (had to grind the head of the screw thinner). So he now gets a new bearing for a couple bucks and 5-10 minutes time, good to go for the next year or two.

I have been using the Makita for several years. Built in dust collection is very good, but it doesn't hook to external dust collection.

I have fallen in love with the 1/4 sheet rectangular sanders. They don't come up to an edge as well as a round sander, but they get far closer in the corners. The $50 Ridgid sander at Home Depot (ugh - did I say that?) is a real work horse, and does good dust collection by itself, or hooks to both common hose sizes for external dust collection.

Everyone raves about how good the Festools are, despite the high price. They have a wide variety of sandpaper available for a competitive price, but if you run out, you can't go to the local store to get more - it uses a proprietary paper.

Jim Becker
01-23-2006, 10:32 AM
Robert, I used to use the PC 333 sanders, too. While I didn't have the mechanical problems you did, I really did get tired of the vibration. I switched to Festool (http://festool.safeshopper.com) and couldn't be happier. Yes, a bigger investment up-front, but what a huge difference in quality, comfort and performance. And I can now sand for hours without getting numb...and the dust collection is superior to anything on the market, IMHO. I would not hesitate to use these tools in anyone's white carpeted living room... ;)

(The link above is to Bob Marino's site...I highly recommend you communicate with him about Festool if you decide to go that route)

John Miliunas
01-23-2006, 10:58 AM
Robert, I used to use the PC 333 sanders, too. While I didn't have the mechanical problems you did, I really did get tired of the vibration. I switched to Festool (http://festool.safeshopper.com) and couldn't be happier. Yes, a bigger investment up-front, but what a huge difference in quality, comfort and performance. And I can now sand for hours without getting numb...and the dust collection is superior to anything on the market, IMHO. I would not hesitate to use these tools in anyone's white carpeted living room... ;)

(The link above is to Bob Marino's site...I highly recommend you communicate with him about Festool if you decide to go that route)

Robert, what Jim B. said! :D Yup, just another happy Festoolian! Used my Festool 150 ROS quite a bit this weekend and, as usual, it did a beautiful job without beating the you-know-what outta' me and grabbing the bulk of the sanding dust, to boot! :D :cool:

Brian Buckley
01-23-2006, 11:02 AM
FESTOOL, you will never look back.

tod evans
01-23-2006, 11:30 AM
robert, if you`re working your sanders get away from the homeowner electric stuff and go air. much faster, better balance and you`ll be hard pressed to have to service one every 5yrs! do a search for pneumatic tools and see what you come up with.........02 tod

Robert Waddell
01-23-2006, 11:43 AM
Thanks guys. I figured I'd get a cheer for Festool here. I know they have a bit less vibration but how about longevity? What I really need is less aggravation/down time out of one. I do a fairly high volume of wood crafts items that are all hardwoods and a lot of exotics. Just this morning I'm sanding about 40 pieces. Is there anyone here that is using them in a production situation?
Thanks

Frank Pellow
01-23-2006, 12:32 PM
Thanks guys. I figured I'd get a cheer for Festool here. I know they have a bit less vibration but how about longevity? What I really need is less aggravation/down time out of one. I do a fairly high volume of wood crafts items that are all hardwoods and a lot of exotics. Just this morning I'm sanding about 40 pieces. Is there anyone here that is using them in a production situation?
Thanks
My use is not actual production, but I have used my Festool 150 ROS very much during the last year and in lots of different applications in lot of places. The use has ranged from removing the old finish from the logs on my cabin in aggresive mode to fine finishing of a maple table with 400 grit paper. I have already worn out two pads and the sander keeps churning along as good as the day it was new. I also dropped it once from about a 6 metre height with no damage at all.

Frank Pellow
01-23-2006, 12:34 PM
robert, if you`re working your sanders get away from the homeowner electric stuff and go air. much faster, better balance and you`ll be hard pressed to have to service one every 5yrs! do a search for pneumatic tools and see what you come up with.........02 tod
Festool also sells pneumatic sanders, but I have never seen a report from anyone who used one. I expect that they, too, are great.

Dave Falkenstein
01-23-2006, 12:52 PM
Festool for me too. And they are guaranteed for three years - what does that tell you about durability? And the dust collection is tops. And paper lasts longer too, because of the superior dust collection. And you can get a package deal, for example:

http://www.festoolusa.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=11&prodid=P2571540

Robert Waddell
01-23-2006, 1:37 PM
Tod, I somehow I missed your post the first time I checked back. I agree with you totally. The problem at the moment is not enough air, under compresserized you might say. All I've got is a 1.8hp/30gal. I don't see upgrading that until I get a bigger shop. I'm pushing the limits on space now.
I've got to make a trip to Woodcraft shortly and will check out the Festool line. I may just have to bring one home with me. Oh well! :) Thanks everybody.
Rob

John Miliunas
01-23-2006, 2:01 PM
Tod, I somehow I missed your post the first time I checked back. I agree with you totally. The problem at the moment is not enough air, under compresserized you might say. All I've got is a 1.8hp/30gal. I don't see upgrading that until I get a bigger shop. I'm pushing the limits on space now.
I've got to make a trip to Woodcraft shortly and will check out the Festool line. I may just have to bring one home with me. Oh well! :) Thanks everybody.
Rob

Rob, check them out but, chances are they need to order them for you for direct shipment to you. That being the case, ensure yourself for some great Customer Service while you're at it and order them up through our own Bob Marino!!! He's been doing the Festool thing for a LOT longer than any of the WC stores and he'll treat you right! Just MHO....:) :cool:

Matt Meiser
01-23-2006, 4:06 PM
I was just looking at the Festool sanders at my local dealer today and was suprised that they seem to run much smother than my 333VS and possibly a bit quieter. I also listened to the mini vacuum and was suprised at that as well. What I was most suprised at is that the Festool paper compares very favorably cost-wise to the Mirka Gold paper I currently use and was actually $2 cheaper per 100 sheets! It would take me years to justify that payback, but for a pro, it could be much quicker.

Frank Chaffee
01-23-2006, 4:12 PM
Bob,
Sanding makes dust, so if you do enuf sanding to regularly wear out bearings then you are making a lot of dust.

For dust collection and sandpaper life, take the advice of those who recommend Festool gear… and yes, Creeker Uncle Bob Marino is the go to man for this.

As tod evans suggests, pneumatic tools outlast their induction cousins many times over, so if you are really a Sand Man, then air is the way to go.

The Festool air tools are supplied with powered air, tool exhaust is removed, and dust extraction occur all in one hose.

I bet tod would be willing to help you select the Quincy air compressor that is right for you too. I put in a 10 HP two stage Quincy that never missed a beat while running 12 to 20 hours a day for years and years.

Frank

tod evans
01-23-2006, 4:22 PM
Bob,

I bet tod would be willing to help you select the Quincy air compressor that is right for you too. I put in a 10 HP two stage Quincy that never missed a beat while running 12 to 20 hours a day for years and years.

Frank

frank, when i bought my compressors i swore by emglo.....then the japs bought `em out (read dewalt) now the only compressor i would buy, if mine ever die, is a quincy.....02 tod

Vaughn McMillan
01-23-2006, 4:54 PM
OK, I'll be the odd man out here...I've got a little $50 Ryobi ROS that I've rode hard and put away wet for the past 8 months, and it still runs like new (although I did wear out the first hook/loop base and had to replace it). It sands agressively, the dust port is round, so I can hook it up to my Shop Vac (with an adaptor), and I can run it for hours non-stop without getting the tingly hands. I have several other orbital sanders of various vintages, and the Ryobi is far smoother to run than any of the others. Considering how much some people pay for RO sanders, I think I'm getting way more than my $50 worth.

I don't think I've seen anything good said about Ryobi stuff here, but I bought it before I started visiting SMC, so that didn't play into the decision. :cool:

- Vaughn

Frank Pellow
01-23-2006, 5:04 PM
I don't think I've seen anything good said about Ryobi stuff here, but I bought it before I started visiting SMC, so that didn't play into the decision. :cool:

- Vaughn
My Ryobi HPL51 hand held planer has served me well for three years (and two major construction projects). It is at least as good as the Makita that I owned for about 15 years and it only cost me one third what the Makita cost. :)

Vaughn, now you have heard something good said about Ryobi on Saw Mill Creek. :D

Pete Harbin
01-23-2006, 5:10 PM
I've been running the 5" and 6" Ridgids for some time now and I really like them both. Both have very little vibration. I've not run the dust collection on the 6" yet, but the 5" (hooked to a portable vac on the Craftsman tool actuated switch) works like a dream. Just need a few swipes with tack cloth to clean up the surface. Both are variable speed, and the 6" has dual orbit settings. Lifetime Service too.

Pete

Frank Chaffee
01-23-2006, 6:44 PM
Robert Waddell, Vaughn McMillan et al,
I have personally worn out many Milwaukee, Bosch, CP, Makita and Ryobi tools working on the shop floor. Also, I am in no way a stranger to getting by with whatever tool is available for getting the job shipped today.
I suggest to Robert that he invest in the best industrial equipment I know of for the task he has at hand because that equipment is a critical investment for a company of any size. For years I hammered at the boss and the CFO to listen to me, and I still had to buy many of my own tools to do my job to my satisfaction.
Weep weep, whine whine,
Frank