PDA

View Full Version : should a rookie try this?

oakleydo
07-20-2003, 8:49 PM
After building a sample and it not looking too bad, I've decided to replace my kitchen cabinets. I am realatively confident that I can do the carcases, face and drawers, but am scared of the doors. Are raised panel doors within reach of a novice? Am I better off paying to have them done and, if so, what would I expect to pay? Finally, are there any other alternatives? Thanks so much.

Chris O.

Carl Eyman
07-20-2003, 9:38 PM
The first ones I made stare me in the face when I use the bathroom at my son & daughter's house. I always think, gee, I wish I knew then what I know now. Actually the only mistakes I made would have been corrected if I'd had a bigger router table when I was doing the raised panels. Go for it. If you make a bad one, do it over.

Anthony Yakonick
07-20-2003, 10:24 PM
Nobody was born with a hundred cabinets under their belt!

Jim Becker
07-20-2003, 10:46 PM
Go for it! (If I can make them...anyone can!)

Todd Burch
07-20-2003, 11:16 PM
Back when I started, (circa '93), doors were something that I would have never considered - I didn't have the tooling, nor the knowledge, AND, (most importantly), I'm sure that my wife would have been less than satisifed with the results. In '96, when I remodeled the kitchen, I even bought doors - there were 27 of them bad boys!! (plus drawer fronts!).

Also, there wasn't available this huge support system called the internet yet.

If you feel up to it, and you think you can produce doors that will increase the value and appeal of your kitchen, and all interested parties will be pleased - and you have the time, go for it! I do new things every day that I've never done - so push yourself!

Todd.

Bob Boake
07-20-2003, 11:59 PM
Make a test joint first with some scrap so you know how they look when you do it right. Also make sure all wood has been planed flat or your doors will not sit square. Not that hard to do, but I have to admit that building 4 doors is fun. Building 30 doors gets tedious.