PDA

View Full Version : Jorgensen beam clamps - differences in USA made units

Jonathan Jung
08-31-2022, 1:17 PM
Anyone familiar with the differences between Jorgensen clamps made through the years from their USA-made era? I've got two different versions and it seems the one in front is the older one, judging by the font and the label on the bar. But the one in back is significantly heavier, sits higher off the bench, and has a different shaped beam. It would be so nice to have a collection of the same version.

Maybe there's a thread somewhere about the different versions through the years?

Tom M King
08-31-2022, 1:48 PM
I'm pretty sure the heavy ones are either pre 1970's, or a heavier model. The ones I bought then look like your thinner ones. I think they call them I-bar clamps.

https://ponyjorgensen.com/product/jorgensen-industrial-steel-i-bar-clamp/

Edwin Santos
08-31-2022, 1:58 PM
I noticed one says 70 and the other 72. Is one clamp 2 inches longer than the other? If not could they be two different models?
I see your gripe. The difference in heights is annoying and yes it would be way better if they were identical.

BTW, are you a distant relative of Carl Jung by any chance? Besides being the father of modern day analytical psychology he was a craftsman and builder.

Thomas McCurnin
08-31-2022, 3:55 PM
For this reason, I am scouring Craigslist looking for Jorgensen F and Bar clamps for a deal.

Kevin Jenness
08-31-2022, 4:06 PM
My 72's are from the early 80's and look the same as yours and the current ones. https://ponyjorgensen.com/product/jorgensen-industrial-steel-i-bar-clamp/ Just buy the same model and they should match up. Great clamps for maximum pressure and stiffness with a long travel screw.

Patrick Kane
08-31-2022, 5:07 PM
Wow, the older ones in the front look extremely robust! I have used beam clamps and new ones i bought around 2014. They all have the feet that your second row model has. I havent seen any with the flat base. I can tell you, i have never wanted for more rigidity or strength with any of my used/new 72's.

Edwin Santos
08-31-2022, 7:13 PM
For this reason, I am scouring Craigslist looking for Jorgensen F and Bar clamps for a deal.

Can't speak to the bar clamps, but with regard to the F clamps, I have quite a collection of the 3700 series.
Surprisingly the newer ones made in China are better than most of my vintage ones for a couple of reasons.
First, replacing the slippery wood handle with the rubber grip is a big improvement.
Second, at the base of the bar, the USA F clamps had a "dimple" that is intended to prevent the clamp head from completely sliding off. This dimple can wear out over time, and guess what? The clamp head then slides completely off. The newer chinese clamps have a rivet driven through the bar to create the positive stop, much better. Lastly, if you keep your eye open, there are deals on the new ones at Lowes, especially around the holidays. Usually the deals are bundled packs. One time I found a sale for the 6 pack of 12" 3712's for $29.99.

Phillip Mitchell
08-31-2022, 9:10 PM
Yep...I have some of both the variants you posted. The older ones are a fat 7/16” shorter than the newer ones with the taller feet. I have taped 1/2” plywood underneath at times to level them all out if necessary.

These specific Jorg I beams (either of the 2 versions above) are my most reliable clamps for wide panel glue ups or for clamping a passage / entry door. They are thick enough to not deflect and have so much clamping force that I can really count on. I do also like the older, wooden handled Bessey parallel clamps but they will deflect and can bow a panel, etc if you aren’t careful and aren’t using cauls.

Maurice Mcmurry
08-31-2022, 9:28 PM
The quality of the steel is a big difference between made in the USA and imports.

Patrick Kane
09-01-2022, 9:16 AM
Looking at the clamp profiles again, its interesting that the older ones had thicker and wide flanges, but the webs look thinner than the new ones. Im no engineer, but you would think a thicker web is better to resist the clamping force applied to the beam.

I like the little feet on the newer style. I made blocks that allow me to get cauls and clamp heads under the panel. I also noticed these bar clamps tend to fall over side to side fairly easy. I chiseled out a little recess for that foot to fit snugly into and now they are rock solid and raised off my glue up table.