PDA

View Full Version : Fiber Laser Question

Bill George
08-29-2022, 1:36 PM
I had a fiber a few years ago and do not remember the spec's. How important is the output Frequency range? I was looking at one and it was rated at up to 80 khz but others are up to 100 khz? Looking at something a little more portable than my 40 watt CO2 laser which I really do not want to move, and plan to sell.

Kev Williams
08-29-2022, 2:44 PM
Most of my fibers have specs of 20 to 80kHz, my first one (the Triumph) supposedly has a 20 to 100kHz range... but I've read (on this forum) that (1) for some technical reason I forget, that the lowest kHz is equal to the lasers wattage output, and (2) that most fibers other than MOPA's are supposedly only good to 80kHz, for whatever reason...

What I know myself: I've tried my damdest on the 30w Triumph to notice any difference above 75kHz and I've never found any. I use higher freqs only when 'annealing' stainless, and I've found 72kHz to be my 'sweet spot'. For aluminum 'cleanup passes' to help whiten engraving of anodized aluminum I usually run a 60w/60kHz pass at around 2500mm/s. As for the lower freqs, for some reason I like 37kHz for most basic engraving, but I have found going lower does help with deep engraving aluminum and steels.

As to the lower-freq=laser-power thing, I can, from my experience, say that either it's just plain BS, -or- the higher wattage machines are tweaked to make me THINK it's BS, because there's a DEFINITE difference on my 50w machine between 50, 40 and 30kHz settings, and likely SOME difference between 30 and 20kHz but the jury is still out on that!

If you're thinking about it, go for it, firing frequency IS important but after like 7 years and 4 machines, the frequency range has NEVER been an issue for me...

And if you're leaning towards pulling the trigger, spend the extra grand and get a 50w machine, because that there upgrade made a WORLD of difference in my work-- Since about 6 months after I got it (2 years ago) I haven't tool-engraved a single Allen-Bradley legend plate, and most OTHER aluminum panels I've had to tool engrave to get deep enough to paint, get done on the 50. I'm seriously considering getting another one :)

Bill George
08-29-2022, 4:56 PM
Thanks for the reply Kev and I know your busy. I was thinking of these on Amazon but it has Zero reviews. It looks to be compact and would be easy to lower down and transport, the 30 watt is 500 more USD but my old Rayfine 20 did what I needed.

Who is your go to vender on eBay?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B5DPVWJY/?coliid=I2J43EIMAX70HE&colid=18ZVQ88FEDA3X&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1

Bill George
08-31-2022, 4:28 PM
Ended up buying a CloudRay Raycus 30 watt off their website shipped from USA warehouse, my CO2 is listed for Sale.

Kev Williams
09-03-2022, 5:51 PM
I can vouch for Cloudray, I've bought several lenses for my C02's and fiber's from them, and the upgraded BJCZZ controller for my Triumph fiber I got from Cloudray. Always happy, never any funny business :)

>edit< - My go-to vendor on Ebay is whoever is selling US stock from California, usually Ontario or Anaheim :) -- my first 2 ebay machines, bought like 5 weeks apart, came from the same vendor, the 50w came awhile later from a different vendor... t seems there's several different vendors selling laser engravers and other machinery type items that are stocked in California...