PDA

View Full Version : Nubie power feeder question

John Ziebron
08-27-2022, 7:18 AM
I recently purchased the small (1/8 HP) power feeder from Grizzly but haven't actually used it yet. All the larger power feeder models apparently only have vertical and horizontal movement. This smaller one seems unique in that there is a ball connection on the end of the arm that allows a great deal of flexibility of positioning.

My router table has a fairly tall fence and many times I will route a profile at the bottom of a wide board. Then cut the molded strip off on the table saw and repeat this process. Since the board stock gets narrower each time it seems to me that the power feeder could be set up so it's rollers are moving the stock against the fence. This also seems like it would be safer in this instance and you would not have to re-position the feeder after every pass if the feeder were positioned to push the stock against the table surface. Out of all the information and videos I've watched I've never seen or have it mentioned to use a feeder in this position. Have any of you done this or know of some reason why it may not be a good idea?

John Kananis
08-27-2022, 8:00 AM
It works fine that way.

Edit: angle the feeder so the front nose drops ever so slightly towards the table top. So wheels facing fence and the feeder skewed down (slightly) to the left as you're looking at the setup.

Maurice Mcmurry
08-27-2022, 8:02 AM
The one I have used is on a big bandsaw. The power feed is spring loaded and pushes the stock against the fence. The fence is a roller fence. The cutting action of the blade provides the down pressure. Big molding machines have horizontal and vertical feed rollers. I make moldings your way without a power feed. It is tricky to keep the stock down on the table and against the fence. I use two finger boards one on the fence, one on the table.

Kevin Jenness
08-27-2022, 9:12 AM
I recently purchased the small (1/8 HP) power feeder from Grizzly but haven't actually used it yet. All the larger power feeder models apparently only have vertical and horizontal movement. This smaller one seems unique in that there is a ball connection on the end of the arm that allows a great deal of flexibility of positioning.

My router table has a fairly tall fence and many times I will route a profile at the bottom of a wide board. Then cut the molded strip off on the table saw and repeat this process. Since the board stock gets narrower each time it seems to me that the power feeder could be set up so it's rollers are moving the stock against the fence. This also seems like it would be safer in this instance and you would not have to re-position the feeder after every pass if the feeder were positioned to push the stock against the table surface. Out of all the information and videos I've watched I've never seen or have it mentioned to use a feeder in this position. Have any of you done this or know of some reason why it may not be a good idea?

That will work. More commonly I profile the edge against the fence, with the feeder wheels bearing on the top face, rip off the edge and repeat. Orientation depends on the profile and stock available. Your feeder is easier to change orientation than most and that is a plus, but its size and power limit it to small work. Standard feeders can be set at intermediate angles, not just horizontal/vertical, but take some visualization and fiddling to make it happen and it is rare that anything other than horizontal or vertical is needed. It would be nice if it were easier to adjust orientation on the typical larger feeders.