PDA

View Full Version : Drywall texture repair question

Ron Citerone
08-25-2022, 2:24 PM
My cottage has a ceiling that is textured. There used to be a ceiling light window that was removed. There was some moisture issues, but not a real dripping leak. Some of the old texture has come loose and a few spots of the old tape is loose also. It was not primed by whoever textured it. I want to prime it before retexturing. Any suggestions on latex vs BIN vs Kilz vs another primer? Thanks, Ron

Rick Potter
08-25-2022, 3:18 PM
Use any primer you have, just nothing with any gloss. Anything with a bit of 'tooth' for the mud.

Bruce Wrenn
08-25-2022, 3:46 PM
My cottage has a ceiling that is textured. There used to be a ceiling light window that was removed. There was some moisture issues, but not a real dripping leak. Some of the old texture has come loose and a few spots of the old tape is loose also. It was not primed by whoever textured it. I want to prime it before retexturing. Any suggestions on latex vs BIN vs Kilz vs another primer? Thanks, RonIf there are any water stains, you will need to use an "oil, or shellac based primer. Water stains bleed right thru water based primers. DAMHIK!

Ron Citerone
08-25-2022, 4:17 PM
No stains, I think it was more of dampness over time than a dripping leak.

Tom M King
08-25-2022, 7:32 PM
Latex will most likely cause more of the "texture" to come off.

Maurice Mcmurry
08-25-2022, 7:37 PM
Kilz Up Shot was made just for such tasks.

Lee Schierer
08-25-2022, 8:28 PM
Texture of any sort is almost impossible to duplicate.

Bill Dufour
08-25-2022, 8:53 PM
Lee is correct. probably faster and easier to retexure the entire ceiling then to try to get a match that blends in.
Bill D.

Ron Citerone
08-25-2022, 9:38 PM
It is a loft section of a large A frame room and I could retexture that whole section. The real issue is, for the part that is coming off, what is the best primer to use to get the best adhesion. I can texture the solid part to match.

Tom M King
08-25-2022, 9:43 PM
This was my answer for a stained sheetrock ceiling in a rental house. The house was old enough that the texture could have had asbestos in it. I just put the beaded board plywood right over top of what was up there.

Ron Citerone
08-26-2022, 12:15 PM
Thanks guys, I’ll prime with solvent based and heed the warnings about asbestos. I believe it was last renovated in the 80’s.