PDA

View Full Version : Dovetailed box too small for panel

chuck van dyck
08-25-2022, 11:29 AM
Hi all

I made an oopsie. I am working on a dovetailed box to hold a tube preamp for a friend’s hifi. My inside dimension is 11 3/8” but the panel is 11 1/2”. The panel is metal, and already wired up so I don’t think trimming it is an option.
Is a routing a small rabbet my only option here?

Andrew Hughes
08-25-2022, 12:22 PM
Make new box this time get it right for a good friend.
For just a common earth friend I would cut the rabbet
Good Luck

chuck van dyck
08-25-2022, 6:38 PM
Make new box this time get it right for a good friend.
For just a common earth friend I would cut the rabbet
Good Luck

aw, was pretty sure that was the type of advice i would get. i would consider making a new box, but this guy is dead set on this highly figured walnut he supplied. by friend, i mean architect who gets me a fair amount of work. i think i will route it. ill pick up one of those multi depth rabbet sets that can go down to 1/8" and cross my fingers that it will do the job.

Bill Dufour
08-25-2022, 8:47 PM
Tell him the cleats holding it in are a feature so it can be removed for cleaning and upgrades unlike a common one piece frame.
Bill D

Rich Engelhardt
08-26-2022, 7:22 AM
IMHO - the rabbet will add a "finished touch" to it. Instead of an oopsie - IMHO, it's nature's way of correcting an oversight.

I could be all wrong here though.

Also - 1/8" rabbet will add 1/4" in total won't it?

If you want 1/8 don't you need 1/16 all around the perimeter?

Maybe I'm just not visualizing what's going on.

Jim Becker
08-26-2022, 10:55 AM
What Rich said...make it a feature and honestly, it's a useful design as it better integrates the metal panel with the case in a strong way, even with additional cleats for fasteners.

chuck van dyck
08-27-2022, 11:56 AM
insides arent the prettiest, but once it’s closed up they’ll be a-ok I think. The whiteside rabbet set with multiple bearings is MONEY.
don’t judge the half tails, i was building to match existing pieces. this was also my first attempt machining dovetails. while it was a fun exercise, by hand is much quicker for me.

Andrew Hughes
08-27-2022, 1:28 PM
Excellent looking wood and work.
I’m glad you didn’t listen to me and saved the box
Good Luck