PDA

View Full Version : FedEX Doesn't Have a Clue

Bruce Wrenn
08-24-2022, 3:10 PM
I ordered some front end parts for my 94 Ford Areostar. They shipped from multiple sites. Early this AM, tracking showed one package at FedEx's local distribution center. This afternoon tracking shows package is still in California. Second package left Norcross, GA on Monday, but as of today, it shows as being in Norcross, GA. Third package shows as having left Norcross yesterday. Norcross is a six hour drive from here, so package should have been here today. FedEx doesn't have a clue as to what's going on. Their tracking is as the old expression says "useless as tits on a boar hog!" They are there, but serve no purpose.

Ronald Blue
08-24-2022, 3:31 PM
I've got a general distaste for Fedex as well. Inaccurate tracking and drivers that can't read. We have it in our profile to leave packages inside the garage. The weekday driver(s) do this well. The weekend drivers....GRRRRR!!!!!! What's worse is a couple weeks ago they left it by the patio door. 3 feet above it in big bold black on white letters was a sign that said please put all packages inside garage door. Directions are so difficult to follow these days.

Dmitri Joukovski
08-24-2022, 3:40 PM
Living in a remote area of Central California I learned the hard way that FedEx Ground is not the same company as FedEx which outsources all Ground deliveries to small local operators. FedEx Ground loses 1 in 20 packages in my area.

Derek Meyer
08-24-2022, 6:24 PM
It's all about the driver. At my old job (computer and game store) we had a phenomenal FedEx driver. He was always friendly and honest about all deliveries. He would take note of packages for our employees that were to be delivered to our homes (differnent routes and drivers) and re-route them to his truck so he could bring them to us at work. If the store had a need, like a major game title releasing (back in the day) he would change his route so we were the first delivery of the day. Plus, he was one of the nicest guys you would ever meet. He's been delivering for nearly 30 years now and is still going strong.

Derek

Edwin Santos
08-24-2022, 7:25 PM
I think there's some truth to the driver factor. Not that this explains away your frustrating situation, but it seems like the lack of labor and qualified manpower is showing up in all kinds of areas like this.
I have experienced a different problem with FedEx, which is that the item will basically show as shipped with no updates whatsoever until it is delivered. So the tracking is useless. But this was not the case before.

Bruce Wrenn
08-24-2022, 8:34 PM
Many years ago, I grew the mums for State Fair. Cuttings (5 boxes) would ship on Monday (FedEx) from Greenwood SC (a 5 1/2 hour drive away.) First box would arrive on Tuesday, and remaining boxes usually made it by Friday the same week. They were all shipped and picked up at the same time and location. Drivers would leave them in middle of driveway in direct sunlight, despite warnings on the boxes to not do so. Another ten feet, and they could have set them on a covered back porch out of sunlight.

Jim Koepke
08-24-2022, 8:58 PM
I think there's some truth to the driver factor. Not that this explains away your frustrating situation, but it seems like the lack of labor and qualified manpower is showing up in all kinds of areas like this.
I have experienced a different problem with FedEx, which is that the item will basically show as shipped with no updates whatsoever until it is delivered. So the tracking is useless. But this was not the case before.

Maybe the time issue for workers has been pushed to such an extreme they no longer take the time to scan packages.

FedEx seems to have become ruthless to their workers to the point where it affects their service.

jtk

Bruce Wrenn
08-24-2022, 10:47 PM
This isn't a driver issue, it's a tracking, or lack of transport issue. Two days later, packages are shown at point of origination, even though one was shown to be at local distribution center early this AM. Gimme me a break FedEx. Either they are here, or they aren't. Maybe tomorrow, or the next day, or following day. Who knows, as it's FedEx.

Bruce Wrenn
08-27-2022, 7:39 PM
Update. Two packages from Norcross GA, arrived on Thursday. Though shown as two separate packages, each with it's own tracking number, they both arrived in a single USPS Priority bag. Definitely didn't come FedEx, even though shipping showed such. Still no word on package from California. Sent a message to seller asking them to reship as FedEx doesn't have a clue as to where original is. Ordered some 6203 2RS ball bearings yesterday. Shipper is in Michigan. Today bearings are in USPS hub in Greensboro NC, about an hour away. Ordered some A arm bushings from Rock Auto yesterday. Bushings were shipped from Bronx NY. As of this evening, FedEx hadn't picked them up from Rock, yet they are scheduled for delivery tomorrow AM. Don't think it's going to happen.

Thomas McCurnin
08-28-2022, 12:01 AM
Fed Ex contracts with the USPS for delivery services in some areas and instances.

Jim Koepke
08-28-2022, 12:33 AM
In my field service days it was convenient to have parts shipped overnight to a FedEx office and pick them up before going to the customer.

jtk

Jim Becker
08-28-2022, 10:16 AM
Fed Ex contracts with the USPS for delivery services in some areas and instances.
That's a "super saver" type arrangement where USPS does the "last mile" with FedEX dropping multiple packages in one stop at the local post office that does delivery. UPS offers the same thing to businesses that are shipping, especially for smaller packages. If there happens to be a regular UPS package scheduled for delivery that day, a package normally shunted to the USPS locally sometimes gets put on the brown truck since they have to make the stop anyway.

Jim Koepke
08-28-2022, 2:13 PM
If there happens to be a regular UPS package scheduled for delivery that day, a package normally shunted to the USPS locally sometimes gets put on the brown truck since they have to make the stop anyway.

That tells me the UPS tracking system is way better than FedEx and maybe even the USPS systems.

jtk

Bruce Wrenn
08-28-2022, 2:52 PM
That tells me the UPS tracking system is way better than FedEx and maybe even the USPS systems.

jtkUPS has a tracking system which is in first place. USPS is in second place, and FedEx didn't qualify.

Mike Chance in Iowa
08-28-2022, 5:17 PM
We have a good friend who has worked for Fed Ex for 15 years and is still working for them. We saw him briefly last weekend and he said there have been some changes. Fed Ex has all the drivers running ragged with their new system. Drivers are not working their normal routes. Instead of having an efficient route where they pick up/deliver in the order of the buildings - 1, 2, 3, 4 .... they have to follow the new mapped out route which forces they to drive past buildings 1, 2, 3, 4 and go to building 15. Then the route takes them to building 4, then over to building 23 and then back to buildings 1, 2, etc. He has no notes when going into all these new business locations that require codes to enter the gate or building. He is also crossing paths with other Fed Ex drivers as they have packages for another person in that same building. It has been nightmare for the drivers and our buddy said he has been finishing his shift at 9pm. We didn't get to talk long, so I'm not sure how long this new system has been implemented, but I know it was for all the drivers nationwide. I don't think it impacts the "Fed Ex" drivers who buy their routes and are not actual fed ex employees.

Gary Ragatz
08-28-2022, 5:17 PM
Different experience here. FedEx, over the past couple of years, has been most accurate/informative with tracking data. UPS is "spotty" - sometimes very good, but I have had 3 or 4 shipments where they seemed to be just clueless (one that they finally tagged as "lost," which showed up a couple of days after the replacement order was delivered, one that was tagged as "lost," and Amazon had the replacement delivered just a day or two after the original order was supposed to show up, and one that languished for almost two weeks "in transit between carrier facilities" before it finally showed up. USPS seems to be pretty good with stuff that is shipped end-to-end with them. When they take a hand-off from FedEx or UPS, it gets "iffy." I don't know if that's the fault of USPS or the primary carrier.

Greg Funk
08-28-2022, 8:53 PM
Different experience here. FedEx, over the past couple of years, has been most accurate/informative with tracking data.Fedex didn't get to be a $50+ billion company by 'not having a clue'. Their core strength has always been their information technology systems. Like any system it's not perfect but overall they provide excellent service.

Keegan Shields
08-28-2022, 9:42 PM
Anyone noticed that UPS has hidden the actual location of the package in route when looking up the tracking number without a UPS account?

I ship a ton with FedEx, enough to get assigned an account rep, and they have generally been great. I’ve only had minor issues with a couple independently owned/operated locations, but I was admittedly pushing the rules so probably my fault.

Location is going to have a huge impact on your service, especially if you are located in a rural address with a single hub located pretty far away.

Bruce Wrenn
08-28-2022, 10:00 PM
Fedex didn't get to be a $50+ billion company by 'not having a clue'. Their core strength has always been their information technology systems. Like any system it's not perfect but overall they provide excellent service.Right now their tracking shows a package in northern NJ, which is scheduled for 9:00 AM delivery tomorrow. Not holding my breath awaiting delivery. My package from California shows it in their LA hub since the 23rd, even though tracking on the 24th showed it to be in local hub (Raleigh NC.) DUH!

Alex Zeller
08-29-2022, 12:08 AM
The problem with all of them is that they can't tell the difference between a city, a town, and rural areas. They try to treat them all the same. In a city making a left turn is very hard. Out in the middle of nowhere it makes little difference. They really need to allow their drivers to modify routes when they feel it'll be more efficient. But large companies like to have everybody doing things the same way.

Jim Koepke
08-29-2022, 2:53 AM
Fedex didn't get to be a $50+ billion company by 'not having a clue'. Their core strength has always been their information technology systems. Like any system it's not perfect but overall they provide excellent service.

We have a good friend who has worked for Fed Ex for 15 years and is still working for them. We saw him briefly last weekend and he said there have been some changes. Fed Ex has all the drivers running ragged with their new system. Drivers are not working their normal routes. Instead of having an efficient route where they pick up/deliver in the order of the buildings - 1, 2, 3, 4 .... they have to follow the new mapped out route which forces they to drive past buildings 1, 2, 3, 4 and go to building 15. Then the route takes them to building 4, then over to building 23 and then back to buildings 1, 2, etc. He has no notes when going into all these new business locations that require codes to enter the gate or building. He is also crossing paths with other Fed Ex drivers as they have packages for another person in that same building. It has been nightmare for the drivers and our buddy said he has been finishing his shift at 9pm. We didn't get to talk long, so I'm not sure how long this new system has been implemented, but I know it was for all the drivers nationwide. I don't think it impacts the "Fed Ex" drivers who buy their routes and are not actual fed ex employees.

One of the problems may be an attempt to combine their express deliveries with their ground deliveries. This could explain the circuitous routes the drivers are taking if building 15 has a time deadline ahead of other deliveries.

This is just some of the feel that came from > https://www.supplychainbrain.com/articles/35228-fedex-faces-big-changes-as-new-boss-confronts-higher-costs-angry-contractors

With the increase of traffic from the pandemic and workers jumping ship from the pressure it could be a while before they get back on track.

jtk

Brian Elfert
08-29-2022, 10:43 AM
Anyone noticed that UPS has hidden the actual location of the package in route when looking up the tracking number without a UPS account?

I'm still able to get location information from UPS without being logged into an account. They do have it hidden a bit. You have to view detail and then click on the Shipment Progress tab. There was a period of time when UPS was not showing the location tracking at all, but they brought it back.

Brian Elfert
08-29-2022, 10:47 AM
Tracking is not always accurate. I had some stuff shipped via LTL freight with TForce Freight (formerly UPS Freight) recently. Tracking said it was supposed to be delivered on last Tuesday. However, as of last Monday morning tracking still showed it as being in Reno, Nevada. I was surprised to get a phone call last Monday afternoon to schedule delivery for Tuesday. The shipment was certainly not in Reno last Monday morning if it was in Minneapolis that Monday afternoon.

Bruce Wrenn
08-29-2022, 10:56 AM
This morning, FedEx decided that my package located at their hub in northern NJ wouldn't be delivered till tomorrow. As always, tomorrow never comes. Other package still shows in California, with no expected delivery date.

Barry McFadden
08-29-2022, 2:06 PM
UPS has a tracking system which is in first place. USPS is in second place, and FedEx didn't qualify.

When my son orders anything sent by UPS they always deliver it to the wrong address. It's a normal street with a normal address but for some reason UPS can't get the package to it. I recently ordered something from Lee Valley and had it shipped to his house. He was tracking it constantly to see where it was. When he saw the the status was "delivered" he went out to the front porch and ... no package. He called immediatly to a person at UPS that he had been dealing with about another lost package and the guy could tell him that it had been delivered to an address about a block away. The address wasn't even close in name or number to his. He ran over and got his package. Hardly first place performance for UPS.

Keegan Shields
08-29-2022, 2:09 PM
Ah I see it. Thanks for the tip Brian.

Bruce Wrenn
08-30-2022, 8:45 AM
Package from California now shows as being in Georgia, with an expected delivery day of Friday Aug 26th, which was last week. Other package from NJ shows being in FedEx's Kernersville NC hub with a delivery of today. Not holding my breath on either being delivered on time.

Alan Lightstone
08-30-2022, 8:57 AM
My "favorite" with FedEx was the driver who was supposed to deliver a case of wine, and in fact said it was delivered on the website, and I got a text message. But no delivery. And, unbeknownst to the driver, lots of security cameras in the community and my home.

Called FedEx, told them I would file a police report, and low and behold, about an hour later, the FedEx driver drove up to the community, hopped over a fence thinking he wasn't on the cameras, and sprinted a strange path across the lawn - again trying to avoid detection.

Told FedEx when they called back the next day that it was all recorded, and they could do whatever they wanted to do with their employee, but he had clearly stolen the wine and got caught. Never heard (or cared) about his outcome.

Or there was the time I spent $$$ for door-door cold shipment of a case of wine via FedEx. They shipped it that way to Orlando, where it sat overnight in 90 degree weather in a warehouse, then spent all day in a blazing hot truck before being delivered to me. The driver said I should refuse the shipment, and I did. Never did get that wine, and FedEx, I'm sure, coughed up a nice insurance claim on that (or partied with the wine). Again I'll never know.

So I used to use them all the time. Now, UPS whenever I can.

Bruce Wrenn
08-30-2022, 1:01 PM
UPDATE! My package from NJ was in Kernersville last night. Today it's in Greensboro, a distance of about 15 miles. But if it were going to be delivered today, it would have been at FedUp's distribution center in Durham this morning. Tracking still shows delivery today by 2:30 PM. Ain't going to happen, as Greensboro is an hour and a half away.

Keegan Shields
08-30-2022, 3:59 PM
What does that old bumper sticker say? Sh!t happens...

As I understand it and certainly for the cheaper shipping speeds, carriers don't scan each package at every step. It is assumed to be on the correct truck, which works most of the time.

Once a package falls outside of that assumption, the tracking system can be erratic.

I'm sure if they charged $200 per package, they could give you minute to minute tracking...

Bruce Wrenn
08-30-2022, 8:26 PM
Update #2 : Package from NJ is now BACK in Fedup hub in Kernersville. Must have been lonely and wanted to see what Greensboro looked like. Quick trip to Greensboro, and then back to Kernersville. Other package from California is spending a second night in FedUp facility in GA. Anyone care to guess as to why I don't care for FedUp? 90+% chance packages will be left at house next door rather than ours, DESPITE having numbers 5" high showing that it's not my address. Everyday, we stroll over and check their porch for our FedUp packages. On package from NJ, I paid full shipping charges in advance.

Curt Harms
08-31-2022, 9:49 AM

jtk

Possibly because UPS was designed as a ground delivery system. Didn't FedEX buy an existing ground delivery service to get into the ground shipping business?

Jim Koepke
08-31-2022, 11:59 AM
Possibly because UPS was designed as a ground delivery system. Didn't FedEX buy an existing ground delivery service to get into the ground shipping business?

Yes, I think it was Roadway and they were one of the worst in my opinion. Of course, there may have been many worse than Roadway, though none of them consistently messed up deliveries to me.

jtk

Jim Becker
08-31-2022, 12:39 PM
FedEX Freight is a whole different part of the overall company. (My SC3C is shipping from Georgia to PA via FedEX Freight to their local terminal for pickup) According to the "Interwebs", FedEx Freight was established in 2001, when FedEx Corporation acquired and merged the assets of American Freightways, Viking Freight and Watkins Motor Lines. I, too, thought it was Roadway but they merged with Yellow in 2009 to create YRC.

Jim Koepke
08-31-2022, 4:00 PM
This is confusing. A search to try and figure it out made it even more confusing:

FedEx Ground, a subsidiary of the FedEx Corporation, is an American ground package delivery company headquartered in Moon Township, Pennsylvania, a suburb of Pittsburgh. The company began as Roadway Package System (RPS), founded in 1985 by transportation company Roadway Services Inc., later renamed Caliber System. FedEx bought Caliber in 1998 to complement its existing FedEx Express business and rebranded Caliber's RPS package delivery service FedEx Ground in 2000.

From > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FedEx_Ground

It appears subsidiaries of one company may have been sold off to two different companies.

My experience with Roadway Package System ended in 1995 or '96 when changing jobs.

jtk

Bruce Wrenn
08-31-2022, 10:02 PM
Well both packages arrive today, ON NEIGHBOR'S STEPS. Tracking shows two different delivery times, one of which was after I had retrieved my packages. Just think, only ten days from LA to Apex. Guess "Pony Express" is still in business as a part of FedUp.

Jim Koepke
09-01-2022, 12:46 AM
Tracking shows two different delivery times, one of which was after I had retrieved my packages.

Do you live in an area with poor cell service?

In my area there is about a half hour lag between USPS scanning the package at my mailbox and the carrier getting to a spot where they have service for all the delivery data to be uploaded. They also use GPS locations on the package scanning, but they can be a wide area by 50' or more.

jtk

Bruce Wrenn
09-01-2022, 10:13 PM
Do you live in an area with poor cell service?

In my area there is about a half hour lag between USPS scanning the package at my mailbox and the carrier getting to a spot where they have service for all the delivery data to be uploaded. They also use GPS locations on the package scanning, but they can be a wide area by 50' or more.

jtk

Five bars of service on both Verizon and AT&T. Both packages were delivered by same truck according to route number on package. Both should have been scanned upon delivery.