PDA

View Full Version : MM Table saw and Dado Size

derek labian
08-23-2022, 9:30 PM
Any SCM/Minimax owners with 8HP motors with a 1" bores: are you using an 8" or 10" dado stacks?

Manual states 8" max width, most 1" bores I'm seeing are 10". Dado King is backordered months. Freud Super Dado only comes in 10" with a 1" bore.

EDIT: I believe I got my answer. This thread can be closed/deleted.

Jonathan Jung
08-24-2022, 10:25 AM
Derek, would mind sharing what you found? I'd like to know too.

derek labian
08-24-2022, 10:44 AM
Derek, would mind sharing what you found? I'd like to know too.

Sure, the answer is no one really knows why, the SCM person i spoke with thought it was a standards carryover and shouldn't be an issue. He also said if you have a warranty issue, don't tell support. YMMV especially depending on the depth of cut and width of pass. It could be related to mass on the spindle or the motor brake, who knows.. good luck!

Jim Becker
08-24-2022, 11:10 AM
8" is the specification. Bigger may cause interference with something. You may need to order a stack with a custom bore if you need 1".

Remind me...do you have an older saw with that 1" bore? I've only seen them with 5/8".

Warren Lake
08-24-2022, 11:54 AM
interested in the answer as well. 1" bore on the SCM, have 1" dadoes with other blades from an auction. A groover would be nicer but had many years on dadoes of different types and thats fine as well. I cant believe a 10" set is an issue on saws that can take up to a 16" blade, recommended in the manual is 14". ILl check the manual and see if it says anything on that.

derek labian
08-24-2022, 12:55 PM
I don’t have any other answers than what I discussed with SCM at IWF (to find out why a 10” would not work). They think it should. Its possible there is an issue they aren't aware of though so YMMV / use at your own risk.

1” bore is standard on US spec ST 5ES.

Jim Becker
08-24-2022, 1:03 PM
Nice machine! I didn't realize you had the saw/shaper combo. I must have missed that somewhere along the way...

Brian W Evans
08-24-2022, 2:05 PM
I use a 10" dado stack on my SC4e. I didn't check the manual first :eek: - I just assumed that if I could use a 12" blade, I could use a 10" dado. The North American SC4e has a 5/8" arbor, FWIW.

derek labian
08-24-2022, 7:02 PM
I use a 10" dado stack on my SC4e. I didn't check the manual first :eek: - I just assumed that if I could use a 12" blade, I could use a 10" dado. The North American SC4e has a 5/8" arbor, FWIW.

Well thats good to know! Thanks you for sharing.

Nice machine! I didn't realize you had the saw/shaper combo. I must have missed that somewhere along the way...

Thank you, I was using a SS PCS until recently. This saw has been on order for 11 months. It probably came over on the same boat as yours. Congratulations btw.

Jim Becker
08-24-2022, 8:17 PM
Thank you, I was using a SS PCS until recently. This saw has been on order for 11 months. It probably came over on the same boat as yours. Congratulations btw.

Kewel! That was a great choice for you. Supposedly, my machine should have landed in Savannah on the 15th. "Everybody" seems to be at IWF this week, so I'm not sure where the crate is at present and am waiting on an email reply. And I hear you on the PCS...the one I was using moved on this past Sunday morning to New Jersey.