PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Dennis Peacock
08-23-2022, 6:52 PM
22 Aug 2022

Greetings,
My U.S. Army son came home so it's been a busy time. An Army buddy of his and their family pulled his u-haul trailer home (17 hours) and they stayed with us for a week. It was nice to have everyone here but we are glad to have a quiet house once again and try to get things back into a normal routine again. My son is on leave until mid-September and then he's officially a civilian once again. Now he gets to begin the next chapter of his life.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past week?

Best of weeks to you all.

Jim Becker
08-23-2022, 8:10 PM
So glad your son is home, Dennis, and I hope "what comes next" for him is grand! Watch out...you may have some nasty rain headed your way if it's not there already!

This past week I got started on the actual renovation work for the guest bath, tearing out the horribly built old vanity and reducing it to tiny pieces in the trash, ripping a surface mounted medicine cabinet off the wall (salvaging the very nice mirror on it) and then taking some ugly tile off the wall that surrounded the medicine cabinet. The whole wall is going to get shiplap, so the damage to the drywall surface is immaterial to the project. I also had to spend a couple quality hours with a razor blade cleaning paint off the tile tub surround...a blind person apparently painted the last two times. Or maybe they were having a really good party first. Who knows? Lastly, at least in the room, I did some repair/adjustment to the toilet. I was originally going to replace it, but it's "embedded" in the floor tile. Since it works well and doesn't get used very often, no biggie that it's a 1993 vintage 1.6 gpf Gerber potty. It's getting a new knob and a new, quiet close seat. And it matches the tile.

In the shop...or kinda, sorta the driveway extension of the shop, I got the primer on the "scrap vanity" and am preparing to put on the color coats...probably tomorrow if all goes well. Since the PCS that's been in the temporary shop went to its new home back in New Jersey on Sunday, I have the space to be able to spray the color coats indoors without having to worry about putting up my canopy to block the sun. A few cheap tarps will keep things clean.

And here's the PCS getting ready to toodle down the road. It's a great saw and one of the best for anyone wanting a cabinet saw. I'm glad it has a new owner that's going to use the you-know-what out of it over time. A 'Creeker, actually. :) Still waiting on the "when" for shipping of the slider to the local freight company, but everyone is probably at IWF this week. I'm ready for the crate when it's ready for me.

In other news...already posted in my shop build thread...electrician has been given his deposit and magically, when I reached out to a few more spray foam contractors today, the very first quote that came in from a local small company with great reviews was a number that I can accept. It saves me time, gets me a better envelope and is what I really want. And the number was half what the first quote was for. Clearly that first company just wasn't interested in the job. ;) Now let's hope that the schedule holds and a big truck shows up on the 8th just covered in "building parts" along with a skid steer to drill some holes.

Bruce Wrenn
08-23-2022, 9:38 PM
Went to dinner on Wednesday with some friends from our small group. One was involved in an accident. Other driver swore she pulled away from stop light, and friend ran the red light. She was going fast enough ( in less than 100 feet) to spin his car around, spin her car around, and shove it up on guy wire for power pole holding lights. Impact broke far pole holding lights. No one was injured, but his car is a total loss. Remember she got up to this speed in less that 100 feet. Sounds to me she ran the light, as there were no cars behind her. If she had been first at light, there would have been cars behind her as it's a busy time of day and a busy intersection. Picked up wood to start cutting out Toy for Tots car bodies. This year, I will cross the 13,000 mark for car bodies. Been cutting out bodies for over 20 years. Had #3 grandson over for dinner on Sunday. Fixed fried chicken livers, rice and gravy, turnip greens, hush puppies, and sweet ice tea. Dessert was a buttermilk coconut pie.

Eugene Dixon
08-24-2022, 8:44 AM
I was able to break the 5 consecutive bowl-turning-into-funnel slump with 8, now 9, in a row cherry bowls. Oh wait a relief it is. Strange slump.