PDA

View Full Version : Different kind of radial arm saw

Bill Dufour
08-23-2022, 10:49 AM
I saw this on the local c-list. Seller calls it a 15" radial arm saw. Reminds me of a panel saw. I have seen similar wet saws for cutting rock. I think the loose sticks are the fence? It would take forever to crank the carriage through the cut.
Bill D

Maurice Mcmurry
08-23-2022, 4:32 PM
Looks like part of a post form counter top saw repurposed for general use.

Bill Dufour
08-23-2022, 7:20 PM
Gantry comes to mind.
Bill D

Bruce Wrenn
08-23-2022, 9:41 PM
Looks like part of a post form counter top saw repurposed for general use.Ditto, Ditto

Michael Schuch
08-24-2022, 12:34 AM
I have always called those a bridge saw. I have seen them for stone / counter tops etc. and also specifically made for wood. I saw one that has a CNC fence to automate panel cutting. That looks like a little one compared to some of the production bridge saws out there. The production ones usually have power feed for the carriage. Does it list any dimensions?

William Hodge
08-24-2022, 6:52 AM
I used a similar saw in a laminated beam factory. It was called a beam saw, because the saw carriage ran on beams.
This saw had a 12' reach, and an 18" blade. We used it to cut a straight edge on the outside of wooden 3" thick structural bent laminations. The saw carriage had a drive motor, not a hand crank. It could zip right along.

Tom Bender
08-25-2022, 8:37 AM
Looks like a feed motor on the right.

Maurice Mcmurry
08-25-2022, 8:58 AM
For counter tops these pivot for left and right miters and have pneumatic hold downs. The one I had a job running had a bank of routers built into the underside. You would slide the counter top in, activate the air hold downs, make the cut, and rout the tee-bolt cavities by engaging the four routers controlled by handlebars. It was my after school job when I was in the 9th grade.