PDA

View Full Version : Tomorrow is our 48th wedding anniversary

Thomas Wilson
08-23-2022, 7:39 AM
I looked up traditional 48th anniversary gift. Here is what I found.

What Should You Give as a 48th Anniversary Gift?

There's no traditional gift or gemstone assigned to the 48th year of marriage. The modern gift is optical goods. If that doesn't speak to you, we've rounded up some wonderful wedding anniversary gift ideas that mark the occasion memorably without adhering to a theme. We've even found some ways to include the number 48 in the gift itself.

I relayed this to Janicewhokeepsmehumble.

Me: I guess [your recent] cataract surgery qualifies as optical goods. Happy anniversary.
JWKMH: The gastroenterologist’s office called. It’s time for your colonoscopy. I think the Peekaboo Procedure qualifies as optical goods. Happy anniversary to you too.

JWKMH is recovering well. The surgery must have worked. She has been cleaning incessantly. In addition to the above festivities, we are going to Dancing Bear Lodge in Townsend, TN for the evening. They have a fine restaurant.

Walter Plummer
08-23-2022, 9:06 AM
Sorry no great ideas. We had our 46th Sunday. Just went and had a nice dinner together.

Jim Becker
08-23-2022, 9:14 AM
Congrats, Thomas! (You didn't mention if you are walking funny or not... :D :D :D )

I'm sure that JWKMH has mentioned it to you, but one thing that's extremely noticeable after cataract surgery (beyond just seeing well) is the color rendering going back to what it was when we were youngsters. Freakingly amazing. I can't wait to get my left eye done someday so it matches the right which has such better color rendering!

Paul F Franklin
08-23-2022, 9:22 AM
LOL, I had a good laugh at your choices for "optical' gifts! But I'm pretty there wouldn't be a 49th if I tried that for a 48th! Mary is not demanding at all about gifts for all occasions, but we usually try to get a away for a few days for our minor anniversaries, with maybe a bigger trip for the "big" anniversaries. We both like the idea of experiences vs. things for gifts (although if a wide belt sander showed up for Christmas I would overlook that preference;) ).

Happy Anniversary, and maybe try to avoid medical procedures for your 50th!

Ole Anderson
08-23-2022, 10:01 AM
Today is our 55th. Staying home finishing out my 5 day Covid-19 isolation period. Yee ha. Mild case.

Thomas Wilson
08-23-2022, 10:39 AM
Sorry no great ideas. We had our 46th Sunday. Just went and had a nice dinner together.

Thanks, Walter. We will go for dinner and a get-away at a “resort” hotel nearby.

Congrats, Thomas! (You didn't mention if you are walking funny or not... :D :D :D )

Not yet. I’ve not scheduled my present yet.

We both like the idea of experiences vs. things for gifts (although if a wide belt sander showed up for Christmas I would overlook that preference;) ).

Happy Anniversary, and maybe try to avoid medical procedures for your 50th!

A wide belt sander would be nice. If I mentioned it, I would probably get a wide belt from Allen-Edmonds. If I looked quizzical, she would wink and say her hearing aids must not have been turned up.

Thanks for the well wishes.

Today is our 55th. Staying home finishing out my 5 day Covid-19 isolation period. Yee ha. Mild case.
Happy anniversary. Get well soon. I am glad your case is mild.

Here is my child bride as the glue-up assistant. No glasses. We started dating at 15 and 16. She has aged better than I.
The board will be a skirt board in the stair case project that is the subject of another thread.

John K Jordan
08-23-2022, 10:53 AM
Excellent! These days seems like a special achievement award certificate might be in order. You could print it very small and include an optical device to read it. :)
(We had our 52nd this summer. We celebrate Valentines Day too, anniversary of our first date.)

JKJ

I looked up traditional 48th anniversary gift. Here is what I found.

What Should You Give as a 48th Anniversary Gift?

There's no traditional gift or gemstone assigned to the 48th year of marriage. The modern gift is optical goods. If that doesn't speak to you, we've rounded up some wonderful wedding anniversary gift ideas that mark the occasion memorably without adhering to a theme. We've even found some ways to include the number 48 in the gift itself.

I relayed this to Janicewhokeepsmehumble.

Me: I guess [your recent] cataract surgery qualifies as optical goods. Happy anniversary.
JWKMH: The gastroenterologist’s office called. It’s time for your colonoscopy. I think the Peekaboo Procedure qualifies as optical goods. Happy anniversary to you too.

JWKMH is recovering well. The surgery must have worked. She has been cleaning incessantly. In addition to the above festivities, we are going to Dancing Bear Lodge in Townsend, TN for the evening. They have a fine restaurant.

Patrick McCarthy
08-23-2022, 11:14 AM
Thomas, congrats to you and Janice. That is quite the accomplishment these days.

Best, Patrick - creeping up on our 44th at end of this year.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-23-2022, 2:02 PM
Congrats Thomas and Janice! Long term relationships are special!

Jim Koepke
08-23-2022, 2:10 PM
Congratulations, we have about eight more years to catch up with you.

I'm her second husband. Candy is my first wife, though she doesn't like being introduced as such. :eek:

jtk

Lee Schierer
08-23-2022, 2:12 PM
Congratulations. I would think that a nice Digital SLR and a selection of zoom lenses would qualify as an optical gift. Or, a pair of Nikon Action Extreme 12X binoculars. Or if you are into stargazing or night time submarine races a Celestron – StarSense Explorer LT 114AZ Smartphone App-Enabled Telescope would be appropriate.

We celebrated 51 years in December.

John K Jordan
08-23-2022, 4:43 PM
Congratulations. I would think that a nice Digital SLR and a selection of zoom lenses would qualify as an optical gift. Or, a pair of Nikon Action Extreme 12X binoculars. Or if you are into stargazing or night time submarine races a Celestron – StarSense Explorer LT 114AZ Smartphone App-Enabled Telescope would be appropriate.

Ooo, a few years ago I got Canon image stabilized binocs. What a wonderful anniversary present to myself. (I got them on the one-month anniversary of when I decided I “needed” them.)

Ken Fitzgerald
08-23-2022, 4:52 PM
Ooo, a few years ago I got Canon image stabilized binocs. What a wonderful anniversary present to myself. (I got them on the one-month anniversary of when I decided I “needed” them.)

:eek::D:D:D:D:D:D

Derek Meyer
08-23-2022, 6:30 PM
My wife and I celebrate our 4th anniversary next month. We are going to Seattle for the weekend, and attending a Mariner's game on Saturday the 10th of September. We had our honeymoon in Seattle and went to a game as well, so it's kind of a tradition. We did our 1st and 2nd like that too. For our 3rd, my wife booked a luxury box complete with meal. We invited some of her family and some of mine, as well as a couple of good friends. That was a great event.

My wife doesn't particularly like to watch baseball on TV, but she like going to the games live. I'm a baseball fan and have been for most of my life, so I really enjoy it.

Derek

Thomas Wilson
08-23-2022, 9:58 PM
As I sit here tonight, the Braves have won, the Mets may well lose, and I have a better than 50-50 chance to be reviewing the situation again this time next year. Derek, I hope your team wins. And, despite all odds against it, I hope everyone’s team wins.

Thanks all for your optical suggestions, well-wishes, and good camaraderie. JWKMH and I will sip Dom Perignon in a hot tub tomorrow. I wish that your team wins and that you may find a happy place to come to rest in the end.

Ron Selzer
08-24-2022, 12:33 AM
Congrats to all of the long term couples.
Wife got her cataracts taken care of a few years ago, 3?4?. Paid 6k extra for the best lenses they had, well worth it for her. She can see up close to far without any glasses. That is where my money for a 16" combo planer/jointer went, was going to be a Hammer probably.
Ron

Steve Demuth
08-24-2022, 9:16 AM
Marriage is a fascinating journey. If you're at 48 years, and still happy, you've both done a lot of things right. Congratulations. I hope your "optical gift" comes back clean ;-)

We were married on July 4th, 44 years ago this year. We have celebrated each anniversary with a community pig roast for the last 40 of those years, with the dates being adjusted on two occassions - once for my son's birth, which fell very near the 4th, so we moved the date out and made it a dual celebration, and once for my daughter's wedding, for exactly the same reason. Only one we've actually missed is 2020. This year torrential rains were forecast for the 4th, so we called a rain date for the 5th, which was forecast as fair weather. Didn't rain on the 4th, but poured buckets on the 5th, just as guests were starting to arrive. Ended up celebrating our 44th with a handful of stalwart friends, in the house, eating pork shuttled from the pig in the shop:

The nice thing about having the anniversary on a public holiday, is that I never forget. The nice thing about the community party is that I get to celebrate my marriage with my beloved, and take care of most of my social obligations for the year in a beautiful evening at the height of summer. Usually.

Ronald Blue
08-24-2022, 9:53 AM
Congratulations on the milestone Thomas. In 2 more years we expect you to invite us all to your big celebration. :D JK but we do expect the announcement here. Hit 45 here this year.

Frederick Skelly
08-24-2022, 10:24 AM
Congratulations Tom!

Thomas Wilson
08-24-2022, 12:04 PM
Thanks for all the congratulations and well wishes. We are a long term happy couple. The long term relationship is perhaps a statistical anomaly but not among our friends and family. We hosted a 50th high school reunion party for our high school friends last fall for about 15 classmates. All, 100%, are still married to their high school or college sweethearts. With a few exceptions, this is true of our families and our friends from our college and work lives. There is a compounding interest effect in relationships as in banking. I wish everyone could find that person that they can live the rest of their lives with. It is a rich life.

The “optical goods” anniversary gift was purely a joke about the coincidence of the cataract surgery and the google search for 48th wedding anniversary gifts, mildly amusing only because of the difficulty and redundancy of finding a gift after 47 others. It was only worth retelling because of JWKMH’s snappy reply. Nevertheless, thanks for the gift suggestions. I’ll pass those ideas along. Don’t know for sure yet, but I think I’m still getting the colonoscopy.

Leaving soon for Townsend. It is almost like the honeymoon 48 years ago.

David Bassett
08-24-2022, 12:52 PM
Congratulations Thomas and all the others with those big numbers, we're inching our way in that direction.

... The nice thing about having the anniversary on a public holiday, is that I never forget. ...

Best thing about a nondescript nothing date, is she never remembers! :) (Well, once in 40 tries.)

Derek Meyer
08-24-2022, 6:14 PM
Happy anniversary Thomas! May you celebrate many more!

The Braves are now within 2 of the Mets. They have a chance, but the odds are on the Mets due to the difference in schedules. The Braves have a tougher schedule down the stretch, having to face the Giants, Cardinals and Phillies. The Mets are done with most of their tough games now and will face teams with losing records. So the odds are that the Mets will win the division and the Braves will host a wildcard series.