PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket anti-static vacuum hoses - suggestions?

Tyler Bancroft
08-22-2022, 10:10 AM
I'd like to get an antistatic hose for my shopvac. I know there are some after-market manufacturers out there (like Cen-Tec) – does anyone have a recommended brand?

Patrick Varley
08-22-2022, 10:43 AM
I have the regular Cen-Tec Quick Click and I've been happy with it, especially at a fairly reasonable price. I can't comment on any benefit in the anti-static version since I haven't used it. But I have to imagine the core functionality is similar.

Keegan Shields
08-22-2022, 12:02 PM
The silver 16’ 35mm Bosch hose is excellent quality, fits both shop vacs and Festool dust extractors, and is a reasonable price ($48 prime on Amazon)

Derek Cohen
08-22-2022, 1:44 PM
Ditto on the 35mm Bosch, but check that it is antistatic. I am pretty sure that the antistatic hose is blue.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Jeff Roltgen
08-22-2022, 2:21 PM
Derek is correct. Bosch 16' antistatic is blue, and about $100.
Timely thread, as I was about to purchase a Festool hose, but it is suddenly NLA at Amazon. :confused:

Bill Dufour
08-22-2022, 2:31 PM
Most shop vacs use a plastic hose port. I doubt that is conductive plastic. many vacs are ungrounded. To do anything a antistatic hose has to be connected to ground,. I do not think a grounding brush on the concrete or wood floor would do much. AFAIK conductive rubber tires are special order only.
Bill D

Dave Sabo
08-22-2022, 8:59 PM
The silver 16’ 35mm Bosch hose is excellent quality, fits both shop vacs and Festool dust extractors, and is a reasonable price ($48 prime on Amazon)

It is………………….but it’s not anti-static :(

Randall J Cox
08-22-2022, 11:35 PM
Although my machines are grounded through the electrical cord, I have never worried about grounding either PVC or my 12' shop vac hoses. Nor any of my 2 hp dust collection system in a two car garage. Never had an issue yet with static electricity that I'm aware of going on 40 years now. Maybe just lucky. Randy

Greg Quenneville
08-23-2022, 1:55 AM
I had to use my Festool 32 mm standard hose on my BS75 belt sander. That was an adventure in self-tasering. Once tasered, twice shy.

Tyler Bancroft
08-23-2022, 10:05 AM
Most shop vacs use a plastic hose port. I doubt that is conductive plastic. many vacs are ungrounded. To do anything a antistatic hose has to be connected to ground,. I do not think a grounding brush on the concrete or wood floor would do much. AFAIK conductive rubber tires are special order only.
Bill D

Presumably a grounding wire run to the chassis of one of my grounded tools (jointer or stationary dust collector) would solve this?

Derek Cohen
08-23-2022, 10:25 AM
Hi Tyler

I have a Festool CT26e dust collector. I only use antistatic hoses. When I sought to augment the 27mm Festool antistatic hose with the 36mm version, the sticker shock sent me exploring various options. The Bosch blue antistatic hose is 35mm but otherwise a dead ringer and twice as long for less money. A no brainer, and it is several years on and been perfect.

I discovered that Mirka hoses were actually nicer than Festool. They are tapered, feel a little lighter, and I think that the 27mm was cheaper (I needed a dedicated hose for a Mirka Ceos). I do not think that Mirka make a 36mm. They do make a 23mm, which is for a hand sander.

Regards from Perth

Derek