PDA

View Full Version : Cleveland Lighthouse @ 20 below zero

Rich Engelhardt
08-21-2022, 12:12 PM
It looks like a sand sculpture.

There's also a small shot of it without ice.

George Bokros
08-22-2022, 7:08 AM
I would never imagine that it could get coated like that on Lake Erie.

Jerome Stanek
08-22-2022, 7:36 AM
I would never imagine that it could get coated like that on Lake Erie.

Did you watch the video waves hitting the rocks and going over the top of it

Ronald Blue
08-22-2022, 1:47 PM
I'm amazed by how much wave action there is on Lake Erie. Constantly rolling in not unlike the ocean. Of course the ocean typically can get much larger waves but for a lake it is surprising. Rock gets rolled into rounded shapes. My daughter is only about a 1/4 of the mile from the shore line west of Cleveland.

Rich Engelhardt
08-22-2022, 2:18 PM
I'm amazed by how much wave action there is on Lake Erie. Constantly rolling in not unlike the ocean. Of course the ocean typically can get much larger waves but for a lake it is surprising. Rock gets rolled into rounded shapes. My daughter is only about a 1/4 of the mile from the shore line west of Cleveland.The worst I was ever out in - they were 8 to 10 feet & breaking. I've seen 12 foot breakers from shore.
Erie is so shallow they come out of nowhere in an instant. I used to live on a street about 1/3 of a mile from the lake. Everyone on the street owned a part of a small beach. In all the years I lived there 1972-1986, I never saw that beach! I just paid taxes on it :D.
(but hey - my private beach had a nice ring to it LOL)

Did you watch the video waves hitting the rocks and going over the top of itYeah - awesome display.

I would never imagine that it could get coated like that on Lake Erie.I know - it gives you new respect for the big puddle.

Frederick Skelly
08-22-2022, 2:30 PM
I used to live on a street about 1/3 of a mile from the lake. Everyone on the street owned a part of a small beach. In all the years I lived there 1972-1986, I never saw that beach! I just paid taxes on it :D.
(but hey - my private beach had a nice ring to it LOL)

Rich, I missed something - why did you never see the beach you owned? Because the waves overwhelmed it constantly?

Rob Luter
08-22-2022, 4:36 PM
So a cold front came through Cleveland this weekend? It came across Lake Michigan too

https://www.pandotrip.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Untitled-101-740x541.jpg

https://www.pandotrip.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Untitled-111-740x493.jpg

Jerome Stanek
08-22-2022, 6:26 PM
check out this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCAdxwe-08A

Bill Dufour
08-22-2022, 11:27 PM
I forgot, fresh water.
Bill D.

Bill Dufour
08-22-2022, 11:30 PM
Trinidad lighthouse in Northern California has had waves break over the bottom half and put out the light. About 190 feet above the sea level.
Bill D

Rich Engelhardt
08-23-2022, 5:48 AM
Rich, I missed something - why did you never see the beach you owned? Because the waves overwhelmed it constantly?There was no access to the beach anymore. Houses had all sprung up and blocked access. The street we lived on had been all Summer cottages back 100 years ago for the wealthy people from Cleveland & every cottage owned a piece of the beachfront.

Plus due to lake level fluctuations - there wasn't a beach anymore - yeah the waves took it decades ago.

Frederick Skelly
08-23-2022, 6:57 AM
There was no access to the beach anymore. Houses had all sprung up and blocked access. The street we lived on had been all Summer cottages back 100 years ago for the wealthy people from Cleveland & every cottage owned a piece of the beachfront.

Plus due to lake level fluctuations - there wasn't a beach anymore - yeah the waves took it decades ago.

Thanks Rich!

Maurice Mcmurry
08-23-2022, 8:20 AM
Those are great images. Stan Rogers and Gordon Lightfoot songs come to mind, "Don't take the Lakes for granted".

Rick Potter
08-25-2022, 3:37 PM
Thanks for the memories. That pic reminds me of why my parents moved from there to SoCal in 1956, when I was 13. Even with the problems in CA, I have no regrets about our relocation.

My kids and grandkids never had to climb up a frozen rope barefoot, for miles to get to grade school. Both ways.

Ronald Blue
08-25-2022, 5:14 PM
My kids and grandkids never had to climb up a frozen rope barefoot, for miles to get to grade school. Both ways.

That is a variation of the common saying. However my Mother said the winter of I think 35-36 the snow got so deep that they could walk over the fences because the snow was so deep. So while the uphill both ways for 10 miles is mentioned in jest there was at least one really tough winter.

Maurice Mcmurry
08-25-2022, 5:21 PM
I can't forget seeing houses in Duluth with odd exterior doors 6 feet off of the ground with no porch or stairs? My visits there were in the summer.