PDA

View Full Version : One More Scraper Question

Ernie Kuhn
01-23-2006, 12:51 AM
HF is selling cheap wood chisel set ($3.99) and I saw somewhere, that a wood turner had used old chisels to grind shop made scraper. Is this safe, even given that its probably not the best steel and might have to be sharpened often. Primarily, is it safer than files?
Thanks All
Ernie

John Hart
01-23-2006, 8:03 AM
I've had good luck using chisels Ernie. My only complaint is with the reach that they provide. I can't get any deeper than about 5 or 6 inches. Aside from that, I like them. The Ugly Stick is an old chisel, and it has performed magnificently.:)

Ernie Kuhn
01-23-2006, 10:33 AM
John, it was your 'ugly stick' post that got me to thinking about it. Thank you so much. The HF flyer showed up in the mail on Sat. and the set of 6 chisels range from 1/4" to 1 1/2" in 1/4" increments, all 6 for $3.99! Same concern with the short reach but for the price, what the heck. I'll just add a long handle and make shallow pieces for a while. Again, Thank you.
Ernie

John Hart
01-23-2006, 10:40 AM
...I'll just add a long handle and make shallow pieces for a while....

Well...Of course then there's Bertha!! What I do is use the Ugly Stick for the close-in stuff...you know, like the lip and up under the shoulder...maybe down the side a little. Then I pull out Bertha to go deep. Bertha wouldn't care if I wanted to hollow out a tree full of knots.;)

I'm still getting accustomed to the Sorby too though. The three of them fight over my attention.:D

Jim Becker
01-23-2006, 10:55 AM
How "thick" is the steel? I find that the heavier the scrapers are, the better they perform since so often you end up hanging them off the rest quite a ways. Thicker means more stability and less vibration...which makes for cleaner cuts.

What you might want to consider is buying HHS from MSC, Enco, or whomever to make your scrapers. It will be more than $3.99, but you'll know exactly what you are working with. You'll also want to consider picking up a second grinder (cheap and used is fine) to run some coarser wheels on for shaping the steel before refining them on your regular turning grinder. It takes a long time to profile if you don't have a "real cutter" spinning against the steel!

Ernie Kuhn
01-23-2006, 11:04 AM
John,
I'm not quite up to "Big Bertha", will start small but will watch garage sales.
Jim,
Excellent suggestion and lucky as I have a second old grinder. Will probably use diamond cutoff wheel on Dremel or 3" cutoff wheel on air powered tool for rough shape; air powered die grinder for final trim. Will check the source you mentioned for quality steel stock.

Thank you both,
Ernie

George Troy Hurlburt
01-23-2006, 1:24 PM
This is my opinion. I try to buy the best & highest quality Woodturning tools that money will buy. Recycled files and wood chisels are not for woodturning. They are just too dangerous to use. :confused: GT

John Hart
01-23-2006, 2:03 PM
I really respect what you're saying George. But as much common sense as that is....I just love makin' stuff...especially tools...and I just can't help m'self. That said, I do my best to minimize the danger...the same as I would cliff climbing, ocean diving, or driving to work every day. I agree that there are risks.

I can't say that I'm completely comfortable with the File idea enough to give it a whack...but the chisels? I like them.:)

Ernie Kuhn
01-23-2006, 11:14 PM
George,
I'm with you 100% on the files since I don't have the expertise or available resource to properly heat treat them. I am however with John on the old chisels, but more out of economic necessity and it is tool steel of some variety e.g. not brittle and, since I got laid off in August, I have the time to putz around making a few of my own tools. I'll post a couple of pics when I've made and tried a few.
Ernie