PDA

View Full Version : "woodstalk"

Christopher Pine
01-22-2006, 11:22 PM
I was in the hardwod supplier yesterday and they had in there sheets good rack the "wood stalk" The particle board look alike that is made from wheat straw.. was actually amazing how much it looked like particle board. Has anyone used this product? I didn't ask what the cost was either anyone know?
Interesting stuff anyway.

Chris

Norman Hitt
01-22-2006, 11:39 PM
I got a couple of small preprimed pieces of it that was sold as Shelving mat'l at the borg. It was preprimed, and seemed to machine the same as MDF, (including dust) and seems it was priced about the same as similar mat'l of MDF, IIRC. Maybe my imagination, but it didn't seem quite as "Stiff" as MDF, but if so, that could be because of the type of glue used to make it, vs the MDF. I understand it isn't supposed to be as bad for your health as the dust from MDF. I only used it for a small project and strength was not an issue on that project, so I can't tell you how it would compare to MDF in that respect. With the above statements in mind, I would also mention that all MDF does not "seem" to be the same strength/stiffness either, but again, maybe that's just my imagination.

Jason Quick
01-23-2006, 2:17 AM
Bought some to use for shelving (only way I've seen it sold, in fact) at Menards. Worked kinda like a cross between particleboard and MDF, except (echoing Norman's statement) it didn't seem to be as stiff or strong as MDF. But didnt' seem to be quite as heavy, either.

That said, this WAS over a year ago, so my memory could be failing me. Wonder if it's ever gonna be available in sheet sizes? I like the "green" aspect of it, and wonder how it'd work as a cabinet material.

Jason

Dan Rider
01-23-2006, 3:17 AM
I've seen that stuff for sale some time ago as underlayment, I think -- about 5/16~8mm thick in 4'x4' sheets. It was very smooth, but also flimsy and brittle. I can't imagine what other practical use it might have. It didn't seem to catch on though, its somewhat rare (extinct?) now.

Keith Christopher
01-23-2006, 4:17 AM
I first saw this as a sponsor on Router Workshop. They use it all the time. Never used it myself but it seems like a good thing.

Steve Clardy
01-23-2006, 9:42 AM
I use the 3/4 for counter top substrates.
It's put together with waterproof glue, very durable.
Don't know about it being flimyser tham PB, I think it's actually more durable.
Compared to a 3/4x4x8 sheet of PB, it's 10 pounds lighter.
Price is a lot higher, since most of it comes out of Canada.
Shipping costs drive the price up.
$27.00 for a 3/4" sheet was my last price.

Christopher Pine
01-23-2006, 12:23 PM
What I seen was 4x8 sheets 5/8 and 3/4 I beleive..

Bought some to use for shelving (only way I've seen it sold, in fact) at Menards. Worked kinda like a cross between particleboard and MDF, except (echoing Norman's statement) it didn't seem to be as stiff or strong as MDF. But didnt' seem to be quite as heavy, either.

That said, this WAS over a year ago, so my memory could be failing me. Wonder if it's ever gonna be available in sheet sizes? I like the "green" aspect of it, and wonder how it'd work as a cabinet material.

Jason

Charles McKinley
01-24-2006, 3:43 PM
Hi Chris,

I used it for my panel saw kit. If it is going to live in a humid climate seal it as soon as practicle. It will mold. It also has a strong smell. It seems much more like particle board than MDF to me. I bought mine at Home Depot. I'll look to see if they still have it next time I get there.

Steve Clardy
01-24-2006, 4:02 PM
Yes on the smell, though I don't think its a bad smell.
If you know what wheat straw smells like, you have strawboard.

Scott Loven
01-24-2006, 4:16 PM
I just used some to make the box for a vanity, seems like it will hold-up just fine.
Scott

Jim Schutz
01-24-2006, 4:17 PM
Has anyone used this product? I didn't ask what the cost was either anyone know?
Interesting stuff anyway.
Chris

I've used it on a few book shelf type projects (it comes in 12" and 16" widths). I built some closet racks in my sons' room using melamine (the prepunched stuff) for the main casing and Woodstalk for the shelves. My wife likes the rounded front on the shelves better than the melamine squared front. The stuff I bought was white, and was shiny, not just primed. It cuts well, and any chipping of the paint can be repainted with standard white gloss paint. If you blend it with a sponge brush, you can't even really tell a difference between the original coating and the gloss.

Woodstalk isn't exactly a fine woodworking material but, for simple shelving projects, it works pretty well. I'd put it in the same category as MDF, but prepainted. (it is lighter though)

Jim

Peter M. Spirito
01-24-2006, 9:21 PM
saw it on the router workshop, bought some 1x12 prepainted shelf boards. it wasted no time in sagging with a light load in my airconditioned shop. never again. But then i don't like MDF either. :mad: