PDA

View Full Version : What do you use 2" long 23 ga pins for?

Rich Engelhardt
08-15-2022, 10:14 AM
My PC 23 ga pin nailer uses up to 1" long pins.
I use it quite a bit.

So far, I haven't run across anything I'd use it on where I'd prefer it had the ability to shoot a 2" pin.
What am I missing?

John Kananis
08-15-2022, 10:18 AM
I suppose that if you're only using mechanical fasteners for say trim or something similar where it won't be glued or caulked but I'm just guessing. 1 inch should be plenty for a pin. For longer, I'd probably pick up a different nailer with a larger gauge fastener or use a different method altogether.

james manutes
08-15-2022, 10:19 AM
I've used 1.5" pins to stop parts from moving/sliding during a glue up , never shot 2" for anything .

John Kananis
08-15-2022, 10:21 AM
I can't even imagine a pin that thin and long going in straight and not finding a way to poke out of somewhere it shouldn't be.

Greg Funk
08-15-2022, 10:22 AM
2" is probably suitable for very soft materials. Might have trouble shooting through or straight in harder woods.

Tom M King
08-15-2022, 10:35 AM
I use stainless ones to sew ridge wooden shingles on along with construction adhesive on one underside. I shoot a bunch of them in at different angles. So far, holding well through three hurricanes. No good way not to have exposed fasteners, so I figured the smallest size entry holes, that actually seal back over from the wood swelling.

I can't think of anything else I use them for.

I did fix one such old ridge with the same method that had been put on in the 1980's, but the galvanized fasteners had failed.

Phillip Mitchell
08-15-2022, 11:13 AM
I have a Cadex 23 ga that shoots up to 1 3/8” and even that can be pushing it in really hard woods, though I have done it (oak, ash, etc)

There are times where I want longer than 1” and find a use for it but can’t think of a time where I really needed more than 1 3/8” in 23 ga and wanted to rely on it for strength and trusted it to not deflect at that length.

Thomas McCurnin
08-15-2022, 3:13 PM
Anything over an inch seems to bend on me.

Richard Coers
08-15-2022, 3:44 PM
Installing a large crown on a freestanding piece of furniture that will be stained or clear coated. I wouldn't use 2", but certainly 1 1/2" is useful. Also useful with stain grade house trimming. Especially useful on a built in place fireplace mantle. I saw a wood block wall made of 3/4" thick wood blocks. The longer pins would be great to hold the blocks up while the construction adhesive dries.

Randy Heinemann
08-15-2022, 3:45 PM
I have never found a use for more than 1" long pins. I have longer and my Grex can use them, but that is only because I bought a variety of sizes with the Grex as that seemed like the most econmical method to get the pins I wanted without buying large amounts of them. I have never used up any of the sizes but have all I bought left over 1".

Lee Schierer
08-15-2022, 9:22 PM
The guy that did the trim work in my daughters house (wasn't me) used them everywhere and lots of them. If one was good, two was much better.

Jim Becker
08-16-2022, 11:02 AM
The 2" pins can be used for trim work when glue is involved and as some have mentioned, multiple fasteners in varying directions provide more than enough holding power and they are essentially invisible after finish, especially. I typically don't use longer than 1" in most cases for things I employ my pinner, however. One really needs to pay attention where one's hands are when shooting the long ones for sure! It doesn't take a lot to "redirect" things into one's flesh... ;)

Rich Engelhardt
08-17-2022, 9:35 AM
One really needs to pay attention where one's hands are when shooting the long ones for sure! It doesn't take a lot to "redirect" things into one's fleshYeah. I can see that being the case.
I'm sort of leery of my 1 1/4" 18 ga. finding its way where it shouldn't be going.

Thanks everyone! You'll just saved me a couple hundred bucks!

Well maybe not saved since now I'm looking hard at a cordless pin nailer.

Jim Becker
08-17-2022, 9:38 AM
A cordless pinner is an interesting thing, but given how I use my pin nailer, often in tight spaces, the "heftier" size of a cordless unit might make it less usable. It really comes down to what you intend to use the tool for. Cordless nailers of any kind have become an essential for construction work; I'm not as convinced they are better for in-shop use due to size and weight vs the nature of many projects.

Jared Sankovich
08-17-2022, 11:33 AM
I like 1 & 3/8" for prefinished crown. Haven't come across a need for 2" but I did buy another gun just to be able to shoot them.

Rich Engelhardt
08-17-2022, 6:02 PM
A cordless pinner is an interesting thing, but given how I use my pin nailer, often in tight spaces, the "heftier" size of a cordless unit might make it less usable. It really comes down to what you intend to use the tool for. Cordless nailers of any kind have become an essential for construction work; I'm not as convinced they are better for in-shop use due to size and weight vs the nature of many projects.
There's the 12 V Milwaukee out there that looks as svelte as my 23 ga Harbor Freight pin nailer (the backup to my PC)

Cordless nailers make a lot of sense for my shop. I don't use nailers all that much and every time I do, I have to hunt around for the air hose, the oil for the nailer and flip on the compressor and wait for it to fill.

The biggest problem I have is - I'm Makita with all my cordless. I don't want to climb on the battery merry-go-round. The 23 ga Makita cordless is sort of hefty & it takes odd lengths of pins.

Jim Becker
08-17-2022, 7:20 PM
Good point...Milwaukee M12 is a small but powerful platform. I'm actually looking at a wire stapler in that series to use in my new shop building because of my hand issues and how it can make things easier for me. I don't own any other M12 tools, but in this case the utility provides a big advantage, despite the cost. All my existing battery tools are Festool or Bauer, so I understand your situation with currently having Makita.

Andrew Templeton
08-18-2022, 2:45 AM
I've yet to ever find a use for anything over 1" pins so far. I am typically only using the pins for situations where I am waiting for glue to dry on some small trim pieces or for attachment of pieces of scribe or small molding on pre-finished cabinets.

I do have to say, I keep eyeing that Milwaukee 23g pin nailer. If I used my Grex gun more often than I do I probably would've already dropped the coin on the M12 pin nailer.

George Bokros
08-18-2022, 7:01 AM
I wish my PC could use pins longer than 1", say up 1 1/4", but see no need for 2" though.

Eric Arnsdorff
08-18-2022, 7:16 AM
I’ve used them to put a pin hole in my finger. It’s crazy how they’ll twist around. It made a u-turn in the wood. Luckily it wasn’t too deep.

John Kananis
08-18-2022, 9:36 AM
It seems like nobody mentioned the bostitch guns, I'm surprised. I like mine, super reliable.

Jim Becker
08-18-2022, 9:43 AM
I’ve used them to put a pin hole in my finger. It’s crazy how they’ll twist around. It made a u-turn in the wood. Luckily it wasn’t too deep.
Hurts like a bugger, too!! (DAMHIKT!!)

Ron Selzer
08-18-2022, 3:36 PM

Did that back in the 80's with a Senco finish gun, pulled my hand away at the same time, never bleed. Got ring finger at inside of joint. Got to go see Doctor every day for ten days, rest of the time was on couch with hand up in the air. Had blood poisoning, he wanted me in the hospital, I didn't have medical insurance at the time.
Ron

Rod Sheridan
08-20-2022, 2:46 PM
I used one once to attach a small piece of trim to my finger when the nail hit a drywall screw in the wall……..Rod

Kevin Jenness
08-20-2022, 3:58 PM
I used one once to attach a small piece of trim to my finger when the nail hit a drywall screw in the wall……..Rod

I nailed my finger to a window sill once with a 15 ga finish gun. Had to ask the lady of the house to get the endcutters out of my toolbox. "Not to worry, ma'am. happens all the time."

Rich Engelhardt
08-21-2022, 7:55 AM
I nailed my finger to a window sill once with a 15 ga finish gun. Had to ask the lady of the house to get the endcutters out of my toolbox. "Not to worry, ma'am. happens all the time."OMG - don't you hate when things like that happen?
I remember once when I was hanging wallpaper for a customer.
I was using a single edge razor blade cutter - and - not paying 100% attention to where my hand was.

I ran the razor blade right across the fingers on my left hand & the blood that came out was like a "B" horror movie. I had to have the lady of the house keep me in rags and band aids to help stem the flow of blood so I could finish the job.