PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening angle for LN 140

Keegan Shields
08-12-2022, 8:02 PM
Probably a simple question - what angle do you sharpen the blade at on a 140 skew block plane to control tear out? 40 deg? My version doesn’t have a knicker so I plan on using it mostly with the grain.

Derek Cohen
08-12-2022, 8:13 PM
Hi Keegan

It is not imperative to have a nicker for cross grain planing. Score the boundary with a sharp cutting gauge (such as a Japanese knife gauge or a wheel gauge), and work up against this. The line is knifed with heavy strokes at the start, and again after a few runs with the plane. This will keep the sidewall from tapering. If there is any tearout as you near the depth wanted for the rebate, as you are forming a rebate against the grain, finish with a shoulder plane planing with the grain.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Keegan Shields
08-12-2022, 10:57 PM
Thanks Derek. IÂ’ll try that out. Any thoughts on sharpening angle? Given that the skew lowers the effective angle, shouldnÂ’t I sharpen a secondary angle that is steeper to reduce tear out. Or does that defeat the purpose of the skew?

Andrew Hughes
08-12-2022, 11:54 PM
On my 140 the bevel is about 28 degrees. I keep one primary bevel angle after some time and lots or stropping i restore the primary bevel.
Its the same angle I use on my Apron planes.
Good Luck

Derek Cohen
08-13-2022, 12:41 AM
Thanks Derek. IÂ’ll try that out. Any thoughts on sharpening angle? Given that the skew lowers the effective angle, shouldnÂ’t I sharpen a secondary angle that is steeper to reduce tear out. Or does that defeat the purpose of the skew?

Hi Keegan

Anything between 25-30 degrees is going to be fine. I hollow grind the bevel at about 28 degrees (I see Andrew does as well), and then it is a simple matter to freehand the edge as needed.

Regards from Perth

Derek