PDA

View Full Version : Lube for ways

Bobby Robbinett
08-12-2022, 9:07 AM
What kind of lube is good for lubing ways, worm gears and rollers?

Bill Dufour
08-12-2022, 9:53 AM
Way lube. Some are Shell Tonna T68, Esso Febris K68, or Mobile Vactra Oil #2. Home shop. shop types use chainsaw bar oil.
Bill D

Steve Mathews
08-12-2022, 1:03 PM
Metal lathe ways, certainly Vactra #2 et al. Wood lathe ways, certainly not way oil. It'll just get gummed up with sawdust and wood chips. There is not as much movement of the steady rest and tailstock on a wood lathe as with a metal lathe. Frequently waxing (and buffing) of the ways is good enough to reduce friction and prevent corrosion on a wood lathe. Similar thinking with worm gears and rollers.

Bill Dufour
08-12-2022, 4:55 PM
Dupont chain saver. Goes on liquid dries to a thin wax which does not attract dust. Self cleaning?
Bill D

Steve Mathews
08-12-2022, 6:06 PM
Dupont chain saver. Goes on liquid dries to a thin wax which does not attract dust. Self cleaning?
Bill D
Thanks Bill! I just ordered some to try out.

Bobby Robbinett
08-14-2022, 5:10 PM
What about ways on a slider?

Greg Quenneville
08-15-2022, 1:23 AM
Does your slider have felt wipers like a Martin? What kind of bearings does it have? Some machines have rollers running on phenolic ways. Mine has steel rollers running on steel ways and any kind of lubrication is self defeating due to the dust sticking everywhere.

Kevin Jenness
08-15-2022, 7:14 AM
What about ways on a slider?

I use Ballistol on my slider with v-ways and ball bearings.

Rob Sack
08-15-2022, 11:40 AM
Bill D

Anyone tried Dupont Chain Saver for lubricating the raise and lower mechanism as well as the tilt mechanism on a table saw?

Curt Harms
08-16-2022, 9:19 AM
Anyone tried Dupont Chain Saver for lubricating the raise and lower mechanism as well as the tilt mechanism on a table saw?

I wonder if DuPont Chain Saver is relabeled or very similar to DuPont Teflon multi use lubricant. It goes on as a spray then dries so dust shouldn't stick to it unlike oil or grease. The classic lube for table saw mechanisms has been paste wax and a tooth brush to apply it.