PDA

View Full Version : CMS saw again.

Dennis McDonaugh
01-22-2006, 9:43 PM
grrrrrrrrr. The never ending saga of the brakeless CMS. I checked out the switch and it seems to be a two position switch. One set of contacts provide power to the motor to turn it on and the other set sends current through a resistor to provide counter EMF to act as a blade brake. I disassembled the switch and ohmed out both sets of contacts and its working fine. However, the resistor seems to be open. Is it built into the motor windings? If it is, then I have to replace the motor to restore braking action and I don't think I want to spend $150 on a saw I paid $200 for. Yeah, I know I don't need the brake, but it takes a long time for the motor to wind down and it bothers me.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-22-2006, 10:28 PM
Dennis....I looked at your orginal thread and got the model number for your CMS. I went to Delta's webpage and found the electrical drawings on the parts list. According to that drawing, there is no resistor just a brake winding. According to the electical drawing, you should be able to measure some very low resistance between the black and red wires going to the switch. That should be the brake winding on the motor.

Dennis McDonaugh
01-24-2006, 4:10 PM
Thanks Ken, I'll see if I can find that drawing. I found the owners manual, but no schematic drawings. I think I have an open between the red and black if I remember right.

Dennis McDonaugh
01-25-2006, 6:46 PM
Ken, I disassembled the switch and disconnected the red wire. There is 5 ohms resistance between the red and black wires so I figure that's the brake winding. The switch seems to be working correctly. I replaced the brushes and they had no effect, even after running the saw for a few minutes. I have no clue what to look at next.

Dan Rider
01-25-2006, 7:42 PM
... I have no clue what to look at next.

Makita LS 1013.:p :p :p

http://www.makita.com/menu.php?pg=product_det&tag=LS1013

Norman Hitt
01-25-2006, 8:43 PM
Dennis, I don't know if you have already done this, OR if it will even help on your saw, as I don't remember what kind you bought, Buuuuuuut.............
I bought a Dewalt DW705 a short while back on closeout that had been on display in the store, and it came with no manual and a couple of other items, which Dewalt Promptly sent me, (plus with a couple of other items that weren't even supposed to come with it, for free, no less:) ). Since I couldn't wait to use it, I looked it over closely and checked it's setup, made one small adjustment, and went to work. Everything worked Great, Except the Blade Brake, which was barely effective, and the more I used it, the less effective it got, (Cutting off 2 x 4's for some framing).

When the package arrived from Dewalt, with the Manual in it, I decided to check out the blade brake instructions, and to my surprise, it said before using it, to plug in the saw and squeeze the trigger and let it run for "10 full minutes", to properly seat the brushes, OR "The Blade Brake Would NOT Work Properly". I decided, better late than never, and did as the manual said, and it fixed the problem.

Hope this helps.

Dennis McDonaugh
01-25-2006, 9:00 PM
10 minutes Norman:eek: ? I'll ran it a couple of minutes, not ten. Thanks

Dennis McDonaugh
01-25-2006, 9:01 PM
Makita LS 1013.:p :p :p

http://www.makita.com/menu.php?pg=product_det&tag=LS1013

Dan, my son works at Lowes, I already had him bring me a Delta twin laser 12" CMS to replace this one.:)

Dan Rider
01-25-2006, 9:28 PM
Dan, my son works at Lowes, I already had him bring me a Delta twin laser 12" CMS to replace this one.:)

I didn't know. However, the LS 1013 is my CMS of choice for accuracy & reliability. Your results may differ!;)