PDA

View Full Version : Working in the Shop

Wes Bischel
01-22-2006, 8:15 PM
Sam, my son, asked to make something in the shop - so who am I to not oblige?!

He wanted to make a flashlight - so I had a scrap closet rod - then it needed a button - a nice wide machine screw would do. Then we needed to put a light bulb on it - uh oh - think, think what to do - rifle through the junk drawers - AH HA! How about a stray wood knob? "Oh, that would be a great idea!" Whew, close one.

Now Sam can see well in the dark.;)

Wes

Howard Barlow
01-22-2006, 8:28 PM
Scrap closet rod...................50¢
Machine screw...................... 3¢
Wood knob...........................45¢

Building a flashlight with Sam.....PRICELESS!

Jim Becker
01-22-2006, 8:39 PM
What Howard said! And Sam is absolutely adorable!!

lou sansone
01-22-2006, 9:05 PM
very nice. great looking son and a heck of a dad:)

lou

Frank Pellow
01-22-2006, 9:35 PM
Please tell Sam that I think he designed a great flashlight (with a little bit of help from his Dad). It's great that you encourage Sam this way, and I look forward to seeing the results of future projects with him

Tony Falotico
01-22-2006, 9:49 PM
Awesome Wes........... he will grow up with an imagination, something the Nintendo generation is disparately in need of, and great memories of shop time with Daddy.

Peter Pedisich
01-22-2006, 9:50 PM
Wes, You are a GREAT Dad.

It's days like this that are remembered.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-22-2006, 10:26 PM
Only one word to describe it......PRICELESS!

Allen Grimes
01-22-2006, 10:47 PM
Awesome Wes........... he will grow up with an imagination, something the Nintendo generation is disparately in need of, and great memories of shop time with Daddy.Hey, I am part of the Nintendo generation and consider myself to be very, creative.

As a matter of fact, studies have shown that playing video games has more benefits than anything else as long as kids aren't over playing them or playing games unsuitable for their age.

For example, video games help with problem solving, critical thinking, among other things. Also studies show that teenagers who play racing video games drive better than those who don't, and get into less accidents

It has even been shown that surgeons can enhance their hand/eye coordination through the use of video games and therefore can perform better in the operating room. Some Drs even play for 30 minutes before each surgery.

There have also been recent studies that have shown that video games can help elderlies who suffer from memory loss.

The only reason you never hear about stuff like this is because the only time people ever talk about them is when bad parents or sneaky politicians are blaming them for the bad behavior of children, when the blame should really be put on the people raising those children.

My point is not to attack, but to educate. Video games can be used for good if used properly.

EDIT: Im sorry for hijacking this thread, I know that this is not the place for this discussion, it just bothers me when I hear or read comments like that.

Allen Grimes
01-22-2006, 10:56 PM
Wes, first of all let me apologize again for hijacking your thread.

Second, I meant to congratulate you on your first(?) project with your son. Every time I see posts like these, I cant wait till my son grows up so I can take him into the shop with me. He'll be 2 in April.

Ofcourse you know you are lucky to have a beautiful son, but he is also lucky to have a great dad, that will spend some quality shop time with him.

Vaughn McMillan
01-22-2006, 11:28 PM
Howard summed it up...it'll be a day he remembers, and so will you, and no amount of money in the world could have replaced it. Very well done.

- Vaughn

tod evans
01-23-2006, 9:39 AM
way to go wes!

Shelley Bolster
01-23-2006, 9:54 AM
Scrap closet rod...................50¢
Machine screw...................... 3¢
Wood knob...........................45¢

Building a flashlight with Sam.....PRICELESS!
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________

Howard....that is perfect! Wes, you should copy that out and save it with those pics of Sam......give it to him on his 21st birthday. Better yet, use a program and make a birthday card with that saying!
Wes....without you spending the shop time with your son and sharing it with the rest of us, Howard would have had nothing to be his inspiration.....You are an inspiration for more than words Wes but for parenting/grand-parenting. Way to go!

Wes Bischel
01-23-2006, 2:22 PM
Gee whiz, I'm humbled by the response!:o I just figured we were having fun!;) Actually, we have made other things, but this was the first time Sam asked to go down to the shop and make something specific. (And LOML was there to document our collaboration.:D ) I'm pretty encouraged by that fact. It is fascinating how little ones learn and what strikes their fancy.

Allen, no problem about hijacking the thread - you slacker you!:eek: :D :D (Just joking honest)

Thanks again for the encouragement and support!

Wes

Pete Harbin
01-23-2006, 5:27 PM
Way to go Dad!

John Bailey
01-23-2006, 6:34 PM
Good one Pops!!

John

Tom Donalek
01-23-2006, 6:46 PM
Wow! That's a great project - good thinking on Sam's part! A little woodworking, a bit of electricity, a useful end result, and a justafiably proud dad! Once Sam is a little older, he'll be interested in:

http://www.makezine.com/

(And Allen does bring up some great points - but - I'm from the pre-PlayStation generation - aka the Apple ][ generation. When we wanted a computer to do something, we had to write a program! And walk up hill both ways to the computer store! In the snow and ice! Ah, the good old days! ;) )

Allen Grimes
01-23-2006, 6:51 PM
Wow! That's a great project - good thinking on Sam's part! A little woodworking, a bit of electricity, a useful end result, and a justafiably proud dad! Once Sam is a little older, he'll be interested in:

http://www.makezine.com/

(And Allen does bring up some great points - but - I'm from the pre-PlayStation generation - aka the Apple ][ generation. When we wanted a computer to do something, we had to write a program! And walk up hill both ways to the computer store! In the snow and ice! Ah, the good old days! ;) )Tom, I've been playing video games for about 25 years now. That inculdes pc games, I've been through it all.