PDA

View Full Version : Dog Attack

Tom Bender
08-06-2022, 6:58 AM
There are dogs in the world and sometimes they attack. That is not going to change. So here is my question. If I have no weapons and no objects within reach how can I best defend myself? Maybe the martial arts have something to offer.

Jason Roehl
08-06-2022, 7:21 AM
There are dogs in the world and sometimes they attack. That is not going to change. So here is my question. If I have no weapons and no objects within reach how can I best defend myself? Maybe the martial arts have something to offer.

Dogs can be choked out to unconsciousness. The thing about fighting an attacking dog though is that you have to go big quickly, and you may lose some flesh. They will likely clamp on an arm or leg, you have to be able to have the presence of mind to let them do that and launch your counter attack, rather than trying to pry them off of your limb. Fight dirty.

Brian Deakin
08-06-2022, 7:27 AM
As a teenager I worked for a company the delivered soda(pop) to peoples homes I was taught by an older member of staff that when the dog approached to put the cash bag in his mouth I found this approach very effective on many occasions
So depending on the circumstances if you have an item of clothing example a coat I would fold the coat and present that to the dogs jaws

https://i.etsystatic.com/10792761/r/il/479979/3557402677/il_680x540.3557402677_lko4.jpg

Malcolm McLeod
08-06-2022, 7:36 AM
I was told, but never tired, to wrap an article of clothing around your off hand to minimize damage (assumes something IS going to get damaged). 'Feed' that hand to the dog. Dog will be instinctively reluctant to release that bite. Pull the dog up and away while grabbing a hind leg with your dominant hand. Use the hind leg for leverage to roll and to drop it to the ground, while driving your knee into their rib cage/heart. Should be done in 2-3 seconds at most.

Depends a lot on the size of the attacker, the strength of the attacked, athleticism, timing, and your willingness to kill the dog. And probably eleventy-seven other things that could influence the outcome.

Colonel Colt has a much better solution.
Reading the faster replies, this is very much as Mr. Roehl suggests 'fighting dirty'. If you need incentive for such viciousness, watch a Jack Russel Terrier attack a rat, then scale that up to a 70-80 pound cousin.

Zachary Hoyt
08-06-2022, 8:13 AM
I have been bitten twice while bicycling and had several near misses. My approach is if I am on my bike and a dog gets on the pavement and is close enough to kick, I kick it. In cold weather I wear work boots with steel toes and kick with them, in summer when wearing sandals I keep my toes up and try to deliver the blow with the heel, which is protected by the sole of the sandal. I always aim for the face/mouth and try to hit as hard as possible with the first blow. Some dogs are quick enough to dodge the kick, but the dodge gets them out of biting range for a moment and then there is time for another kick. I have trained a few dogs not to chase me over the years, if they were on a route I traveled often.

Bill Dufour
08-06-2022, 10:56 AM
If. a dog latches on, like a pitbull, and will not let go shove garden hose into his mouth and drown him off.
I have heard...If he is latched on hold his front legs to either side and stand up so his tail is hanging. His legs are not attached the same as a person and this will compress his rib cage. The vertical position will lower his blood pressure and cause him to pass out after a time.
Bill D

Lee Schierer
08-06-2022, 11:06 AM
I've encountered a number of dogs when running and cycling. When running, I stop and raise my arms, then yell as loud as I can. This will usually deter the dog and alert the owner. If the dog stops, slowly walk along your intended path. When cycling and a dog comes running out, I grab my water bottle, open the squirt top with my teeth. The I Invert the bottle and aim it at the dog. While aimed at the dog a good healthy squeeze will resemble a super soaker and generally deters the dog. If I ride a route with several troublesome dogs, I carry two water bottles. Very few come back for a second dose, but it is there if you need it.

Warren Lake
08-06-2022, 11:46 AM
thanks for the tip Bill, ill make sure to carry a garden hose around with me.

ChrisA Edwards
08-06-2022, 11:47 AM
My "Stayed in a Holiday Inn" approach would be to try and surrender my left forearm as bait for the dog to lock on to. Then with my right hand go for the dogs throat and squeeze as much strength as can muster.

If I can't grab the throat, go for the dogs ears. I learned from the Eskimo's that a dogs ears and butt are the most sensitive and painful for a dog.

The Eskimo's train their Husky's by biting the ear, usually only needs one application before the dog gets the message.

I've used this method on several of my dogs to discipline and it seems to work.

Jon Grider
08-06-2022, 11:48 AM
In my bicycle touring days I was attacked several times. Sometimes times the attacks were bluffs, other times the dogs wanted some flesh. If you're on a bike, it's fairly easy to keep your bike between the dog and yourself. Keep walking with your bike wheels as a barrier until the dog gives up or owner reels it in. May not always be applicable and results may vary.

Mark Rainey
08-06-2022, 11:58 AM

I am still laughing!!!

Keith Outten
08-06-2022, 12:56 PM
Riding a bike or when walking a belt buckle has been my best defense. If you wrap the belt around tour hand several times and leave just a few inches of length with the buckle at the end and hit the dog on the top of their head towards the back they will generally drop almost immediately. Don't remember any dog that got past the belt buckle that was able to bite me, my problem usually was with the owners, they get pretty upset as you would expect. The local leash law has always protected me from being legally responsible for any damage to the dog.

Ronald Blue
08-06-2022, 2:22 PM

It would be just my luck there wouldn't be a hydrant or spigot handy when needed.

Ronald Blue
08-06-2022, 2:29 PM
It's probably going to depend a lot on whether the dog is just a nipper/biter trying to get your leg or ankle or if it's actually intent on serious harm. How much time you have to react is also a factor. Most suggestions that have been offered have merit and may be effective. Leash laws are common in incorporated areas but in rural areas almost nonexistent. At least in these parts. That doesn't mean the dogs owner isn't responsible for anything their dog might do though. As Jon says on a bike it can be an effective barrier unless it's a recumbent trike like mine. It would be a challenge to do this with but not impossible.

Warren Lake
08-06-2022, 3:02 PM
I had a friends german sheppard be friendly when close then last second remembered he was a guard dog and lunged at me. Thank god for chains. Reminds me of some past cartoon.

Sister and her husband at the cottage saw a bear. They were with my mom so figured they were safe as she could not run as fast. So rather than offer your left arm to a dog have a friend or elderly person to offer up.

And we cant forget this,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ui442IDw16o

Mel Fulks
08-06-2022, 3:16 PM
Put some ammonia in a spray bottle. ANY brand will work ….no need to buy the deluxe stuff .

Mark Hennebury
08-06-2022, 3:44 PM
Depends.... on several factors. Big dogs or small dogs. one or more, and how serious are they about killing you.

Little dog; wait till it gets close and punt it into the next world.
Big dog; wait till it gets close, offer up your left forearm, as it goes for your forearm raise it up high and make the dog jump for it, then knee the dog in the chest. Now is the time to use jujitsu if you have watched any movies, take your shot.
Multiple dogs; you're pretty much screwed as they work as a team and will encircle you. Your only chance is to get your back up against something so that they can't get behind you. You won't survive, but you may last a little longer.

Either that or take a water hose with you.

Andrew Joiner
08-06-2022, 4:44 PM
I carry pepper spray. It's what mail carriers use.

Alan Rutherford
08-06-2022, 4:51 PM
...Multiple dogs; you're pretty much screwed....

That would be my concern especially walking in the woods or somewhere that you're not dealing with a dog on its front lawn. Dogs like to run in packs. This is the kind of situation that calls for a weapon unless you can climb a tree or sprout wings. "Weapon" could mean bear spray or similar.

Warren Lake
08-06-2022, 5:01 PM
I dont know ive seen Tom Cruise take out five guys so it must be possible. Any how about Steven Segal.

Ive been out jogging before and run into coyotes. Im on the edge of a town and its not comforting. I keep looking back for a bit. When I first moved here 35 years ago angry gangs of coyotes were going into farmers fields and stripping cows like Piranha. I remember the article was about farmers asking to be allowed to shoot them.

I have one friend who has an animal sanctuary and rescued many. She has donkeys there and they are really friendly. One day I asked and she said they protect all the other animals and did after an AlPaca had baby if that is what they are called, some other people there saw the donkeys kick the snot out of the coyotes and they took the baby to a safe place before she got home I think in the barn. Who needs a guard dog when you can have a donkey.

Jim Koepke
08-06-2022, 7:16 PM

LOL! :D

It is kind of like the Monty Python self defense trick of dropping a 16 ton weight on them.

One self defense technique against a dog told to me was to ram your fist into their mouth and shove it in as far as you can.

jtk

Bill Dufour
08-06-2022, 8:25 PM
Obviously the garden hose only works if it is in a yard not in the woods somewhere. Unless you work for the fire department, then I would just use the monitor to blast him down the block before they pee on the shiny truck.
Bill D

Tom Bender
08-07-2022, 6:39 AM
As a teenager I worked for a company the delivered soda(pop) to peoples homes I was taught by an older member of staff that when the dog approached to put the cash bag in his mouth I found this approach very effective on many occasions
So depending on the circumstances if you have an item of clothing example a coat I would fold the coat and present that to the dogs jaws

https://i.etsystatic.com/10792761/r/il/479979/3557402677/il_680x540.3557402677_lko4.jpg

Best advice yet. And a nice bag.

Rod Sheridan
08-07-2022, 8:16 AM
I dont know ive seen Tom Cruise take out five guys so it must be possible. Any how about Steven Segal.

Ive been out jogging before and run into coyotes. Im on the edge of a town and its not comforting. I keep looking back for a bit. When I first moved here 35 years ago angry gangs of coyotes were going into farmers fields and stripping cows like Piranha. I remember the article was about farmers asking to be allowed to shoot them.

I have one friend who has an animal sanctuary and rescued many. She has donkeys there and they are really friendly. One day I asked and she said they protect all the other animals and did after an AlPaca had baby if that is what they are called, some other people there saw the donkeys kick the snot out of the coyotes and they took the baby to a safe place before she got home I think in the barn. Who needs a guard dog when you can have a donkey.

I never seem to have a donkey when I need one��

A long time ago I was working, welding up conveyor sections on overtime.

The shop guard dog who had been friends with me attacked while I was under the conveyor, grabbing my left arm just above the wrist.

It actually felt like my arm was in a press with teeth, then it began tugging and shaking and dragged my partially out from under the conveyor.

I remain impressed to this day how strong the dog was, and how focused it was on hurting me.

I killed it with a chipping hammer, however even through the welding gauntlet and leather sleeves I had puncture wounds and a severely sprained arm.

My friend who is a vet suggests kneeling on their neck or chest, apparently we can’t often hit a dog hard enough with our hand to make them stop attacking.

I love dogs, and we have a moose of a Bernese/Shepherd cross, good thing he’s the most gentle loving dog because he’s extremely powerful, I would hate for him to attack anyone…..Rod

Curt Harms
08-07-2022, 10:24 AM
Put some ammonia in a spray bottle. ANY brand will work ….no need to buy the deluxe stuff .

Hadn't thought about Ammonia but yeah, that'd probably discourage 'em. I was thinking bear spray but you'd have to have it with you when you need it.

Warren Lake
08-07-2022, 12:16 PM
wholly crap Rod that is insane. Did you first try telling him to Sit?

I tried to take a donkey with me a few times, you need a convertible and then he refused to wear his seat belt.

You are the canadian clint eastwood.

and you just reminded me some 40 years ago or so I visited a musician from the music store I think he was playing with David Bowie at the time. He lived with someone else who had one of those pit bull type dogs with the long snout. Don Cherry had one. He told the dog there was a squirrel in my pocket. The dog grabbed my arm and would not let go but he was not hurting me. He was letting me know who the Alpha male was. I had a sweater my grandmother made for me on and he did put some tares in the stitching but it was fine. I think I had about 30 years on that sweater and it was always welcome in the cold shop.

Rod Sheridan
08-07-2022, 12:25 PM
Hi Warren, yes I used it’s name and gave it several commands, it was like it was some other unknown dog.

Kevin, the shop owner came immediately when I phoned him, took me to the ER, drove me home after and put my motorcycle in the shop for storage overnight which turned out to be a week before I could ride.

Funny thing was the dog and I would sit just outside the shop in the shade every day at lunch, we were good company.

It honestly was like something went wrong with him that evening

Kevin never had a guard dog after that…… Rod

Warren Lake
08-07-2022, 2:33 PM
I was kidding about the sit thing. James Bond Movie came to mind where during a possible lion attack he says sit and it does.

Thanks for more info that is a wild and scarey story. A switch snapped for sure. Then it becomes survival. I promise I will only say nice things about Hammer machines.

Dave Zellers
08-07-2022, 5:32 PM
If you live in Texas, a compact pistol, 9mm and up works pretty good. Had a friend out walking in his suburb with his 6 year old daughter get charged by a pitbull. Pitbull didn’t make it.

My policy is if it’s not on a leash, it’s feral and fair game.

Wow. Thank goodness he was prepared.

Mel Fulks
08-07-2022, 5:59 PM
[QUOTE=Keegan Shields;3207733]If you live in Texas, a compact pistol, 9mm and up works pretty good. Had a friend out walking in his suburb with his 6 year old daughter get charged by a pitbull. Pitbull didn’t make it.

Last thought the Texas - Pitbull had was probably, “ Dang, the ONE time I forget to bring my Deringer ….So THAT’S why
people were staring at me !”

Keegan Shields
08-07-2022, 11:03 PM
Ha! Texas is insane when it comes to guns.

A VP I work for carries some type of pepper spray when she goes jogging now since a pitbull mauled her small dog. Might be a better solution for some than a firearm.

Tom Bender
08-08-2022, 7:50 AM
Yeah, making a kill shot on a fast moving dog while missing the person or pet he's attacking (especially if that's the gun holder) is a low probability thing. Bear spray seems like a better option.

George Yetka
08-08-2022, 8:07 AM
I had heard about this and it actually just popped up in a video. A dog can be made to stop attacking by sticking your finger where the sun dont shine. This would only help if he was already on you and or on someone else. I believe its a dominence thing. I had a roommate once with a male english that had to be flipped onto his back everyfew weeks to prove he wasnt the dominent one. he would start acting up, start becoming bolder.

Keegan Shields
08-08-2022, 9:13 AM
Yep, agreed. I'll ask her what brand it is. I know she's sprayed several dogs in the past few years. All were deterred. She's like 100lbs soaking wet so she doesn't screw around.

Mark Hennebury
08-08-2022, 9:42 AM
Some statistics for reference; https://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-statistics-fatalities-2020.php

Ronald Blue
08-08-2022, 10:04 AM
Some statistics for reference; https://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-statistics-fatalities-2020.php

Interesting stats Mark. Here is a link to a heart breaking story that happened a couple hours away. It refutes the people who claim a pitbull is fine if raised "right". The nature and DNA them is to be aggressive. Yes there are plenty that don't attack anyone but there are to many that do.

https://www.daxtonsfriends.com/kara-hartrich-bloomington-illinois-pit-bull/

Stan Calow
08-08-2022, 10:12 AM
There is such a thing as temperament that cannot be completely trained away.

Keegan Shields
08-08-2022, 8:47 PM
As a parent of small children, I don’t take chances with any dog I don’t know. To many careless owners who view their pet as their child and don’t properly train them. It only takes one bad lunge to leave life altering scars on a child.

I remember going on a day hike with my father when I was 10 and asking him what happens if we come across a bear. His reply - “that’s why we brought a dog” implying that we would run while the bear dealt with the family dog.

Mark Hennebury
08-08-2022, 9:52 PM
That was painful to read.

I have no experience with pitbulls, I have had lots of other dogs in my family from Maltese, Pekingese, labs, Boston Terries, Bulldogs, Boxers, German Shepherds and Rhodesian Ridgebacks. Big dogs can do damage for sure.

Interesting stats Mark. Here is a link to a heart breaking story that happened a couple hours away. It refutes the people who claim a pitbull is fine if raised "right". The nature and DNA them is to be aggressive. Yes there are plenty that don't attack anyone but there are to many that do.

https://www.daxtonsfriends.com/kara-hartrich-bloomington-illinois-pit-bull/

Lee DeRaud
08-09-2022, 11:21 AM
I have no experience with pitbulls, I have had lots of other dogs in my family from Maltese, Pekingese, labs, Boston Terries, Bulldogs, Boxers, German Shepherds and Rhodesian Ridgebacks. Big dogs can do damage for sure.
My experience is that the little ones are way more likely to bite, way less likely to do major damage. Reverse for big dogs.

(Kind of like motorcycles: almost certain to get some kind of injury riding dirt, but unlikely to die. Reverse for street.)

Bryan Lisowski
08-09-2022, 12:31 PM
Some great laughs in this thread! I only was approached 1 time by a dog while on my bike, I used the bike and hit the dog twice and it left.

This thread brought up a story of on old neighbor, they had a wolf hybrid, there kids were playing on the driveway when the neighbors German Shepard got loose. The wolf was staring at the GS down the street, as soon as it started heading towards the kids, the wolf broke through the screen door and right as the GS got to the driveway, the wolf grabbed the GS by the throat and took it to the ground. At the time I thought it was 1 of the coolest things I have seen.

Mark Hennebury
08-09-2022, 1:20 PM
My brother owned a Great Dane, named it Beckett and took it everywhere with him, he even used to take it out to the nightclub. Once he left the dog sat in the passenger seat "guarding" his idling car when he had to run into a store to get something, when he came out of the store he car was gone from where he had left it, apparently he had left the car blocking some ones driveway, and that person hopped in my brothers car and moved it down the road...with the Great Dane sat in the passenger seat! haha.

Dirt bike ride myself, back in the day. 1973 Yamaha SC500

Mark Hennebury
08-09-2022, 1:48 PM
Both my brother and me were attacked by German Shephard dogs a long time ago.

My brother went to a junkyard on a weekend and it was closed, he was looking for some car part that he needed he didn't want to wait till Monday when the junkyard would be open, so he hopped the fence, and promptly got attacked by the guard dog. He got tore up quite a bit before the watchman heard the noise and came running to pull the dog off him. My brother said that he tried to kick the dog but every time the dog evaded the kicks and shot back in to attack, the dog got him down on the ground and chewed on him a good bit before he got rescued. He was bloodied up a bit when he got back home.

I got attacked one night going to the circus. I lived outside a small village, and when the circus came to town I decided to go. I had to walk a long way to get there, so I cut across the fields to the back of the fairgrounds to save walking all around the road to the entrance, It was nighttime and quite dark in the field, tractor trailers were parked around the perimeter of the event and I cut between two.........when I heard a low rumbling and saw two lights glaring at me... took me a second or two to realize that it was a dog and it was growling, at which point I went into flight mode and spun around to run, but the dog leaped and sunk its teeth into my thigh and took me down to the ground, lucky for me the dog was chained on and i managed to drag myself free. I had some damage, but nothing too serious.

Mark Hennebury
08-09-2022, 2:03 PM
This thread is bringing back lots of memories from my youth.

I had a Rhodesian Ridgeback and we used to go roaming the countryside together. The ridgeback is a pretty serious dog and could be a handful if it chose to be so. He was used to being the boss. Once we were walking a country road past some fields, and the dog took off hopped the fence and raced across the field after a huge pig.....big mistake! the pig didn't run away liked everything else that he had chased before, but turned and chased the dog, my dog was not used to being the one that was running away, in a complete panic he ran into the fence twice as the pig closed in, with me screaming at him to jump, he managed to gather his wits and to get over the fence before the pig got to him. He barely escaped, and my guess is the pig would have probably killed him if it caught him.

Mel Fulks
08-09-2022, 2:14 PM
[QUOTE=Mark Hennebury;3208035]My brother owned a Great Dane, named it Beckett and took it everywhere with him, he even used to take it out to the nightclub. Once he left the dog sat in the passenger seat "guarding" his idling car when he had to run into a store to get something, when he came out of the store he car was gone from where he had left it, apparently he had left the car blocking some ones driveway, and that person hopped in my brothers car and moved it down the road...with the Great Dane sat in the passenger seat!

Yes, dogs are good guardians. But they all love car rides, and will sometimes engage a kind stranger as temp chauffeur…..after carefully
sniffing them for too recent showers ; and there is always the possibility that they will ….find dog -treats.

Michael Schuch
08-09-2022, 3:02 PM
My first dog, in my early 20's, was the nicest, friendliest German Shepherd ever! She would never hurt a fly and loved everyone!

When I was moving from Texas back to Oregon I stopped at a store to pick up some snacks and left her in the Uhaul truck. I gave an old guy a bag of grep on my way out of the store. As soon as I sat down in the truck and closed the door 3 beggars came up to the truck looking for handouts. I slightly tensed from the surprise and my German Shepherd was up, off the floor of the passengers side foot well, standing over the top of me on the seat and trying to rip some ones head off through the two inches of driver side window I left open for her in what seemed like way under a second. I wasn't even aware that she was moving until her belly was in my face. I was even more stunned that Heidi was so protective and so FAST but not nearly as stunned as the beggars were! They turned around and left rather hastily.

My current German Shepherd is even sweeter than my first one. I know what a German Shepherd is capable of when activated and keep her under control in all situations like a responsible dog owner should. Right now she is laying on my feet keeping my toes warm.

My daughter took this picture of her by the garage door waiting patiently for her daddy to get home!

Ronald Blue
08-09-2022, 3:18 PM
Dirt bike ride myself, back in the day. 1973 Yamaha SC500[/QUOTE]

My last dirt bike was a Yamaha 1975 MX400. It was a fun ride. In it's day it had a lot of power. As I recall the SC500 was a 4 speed wasn't it? They had to make the gears beefier to handle the power and as a resulting extra width it was only a 4 speed.

Michael Schuch
08-09-2022, 3:32 PM
As a parent of small children, I don’t take chances with any dog I don’t know. To many careless owners who view their pet as their child and don’t properly train them. It only takes one bad lunge to leave life altering scars on a child.

A few weekends ago I was walking my German Shepherd on a retractable leash at a camp ground when some lady came out of the bathroom right as we were passing it. I immediately called my dog to heal, which she did. At that point the lady smiled and thanked me. I could tell she was a little nervous. As a responsible dog owner I never want my dog to impose on anyone else good time. There was never any danger to the lady BUT she should not have to worry about a passing dog hurting her when coming out of a campground bathroom no matter how unfounded the fear.

During the same trip a pug from another campsite, not leashed, came over and decided eat some of my dogs food. That little pug is very lucky to be alive now and the owner brushed it off with "how cute" when she came to retrieve her pug. :( --not a responsible dog owner in my opinion!

All dogs I have ever know have always been protective of their owners and their food. My leashed German Shepherd didn't lunge at the pug but in my mind she would have had every right to do so. I do not agree with the thinking that "all dogs should be properly leashed -- except my own dog". Those people really tick me off!

Mark Hennebury
08-09-2022, 5:32 PM
It was a bunch of fun, powerful and tough to handle, could kick back once in a while, that hurt. don't remember if it was a 4 speed. I mucked around and modified the rear suspension for more travel. Fun times. Be interesting to try one out again.

Dirt bike ride myself, back in the day. 1973 Yamaha SC500

My last dirt bike was a Yamaha 1975 MX400. It was a fun ride. In it's day it had a lot of power. As I recall the SC500 was a 4 speed wasn't it? They had to make the gears beefier to handle the power and as a resulting extra width it was only a 4 speed.[/QUOTE]

Ronald Blue
08-09-2022, 6:38 PM
[QUOTE=Mark Hennebury;3208075]It was a bunch of fun, powerful and tough to handle, could kick back once in a while, that hurt. don't remember if it was a 4 speed. I mucked around and modified the rear suspension for more travel. Fun times. Be interesting to try one out again.

The YZ360 and MX400 were both mono-shocks. I don't recall about the SC500. It might have still had 2 shocks. I seem to recall the kick back issue with the 500.

Mark Hennebury
08-09-2022, 9:52 PM
[QUOTE=Mark Hennebury;3208075]It was a bunch of fun, powerful and tough to handle, could kick back once in a while, that hurt. don't remember if it was a 4 speed. I mucked around and modified the rear suspension for more travel. Fun times. Be interesting to try one out again.

The YZ360 and MX400 were both mono-shocks. I don't recall about the SC500. It might have still had 2 shocks. I seem to recall the kick back issue with the 500.

Jason Roehl
08-10-2022, 5:21 AM
I had heard about this and it actually just popped up in a video. A dog can be made to stop attacking by sticking your finger where the sun dont shine. This would only help if he was already on you and or on someone else. I believe its a dominence thing. I had a roommate once with a male english that had to be flipped onto his back everyfew weeks to prove he wasnt the dominent one. he would start acting up, start becoming bolder.

While that might be one way of fighting, ahem, “dirty,” that’s a tough target under a flood of adrenaline. Most people have never been in a life-or-death fight, and the adrenaline surge will shut down all their fine motor skills—fingers aren’t going to work. Best in a fight are going to be gross movements with fists, feet, arms, legs, and body.

Lee DeRaud
08-10-2022, 11:46 AM
While that might be one way of fighting, ahem, “dirty,” that’s a tough target under a flood of adrenaline. Most people have never been in a life-or-death fight, and the adrenaline surge will shut down all their fine motor skills—fingers aren’t going to work. Best in a fight are going to be gross movements with fists, feet, arms, legs, and body.
Fist, foot, knife, gun, all same: aim for center of mass and keep hitting.

Stan Calow
08-10-2022, 12:28 PM
What about grabbing by the collar (if they have one) lifting off front feet and twisting to choke them out?

I had a job once, that required a lot of house to house field work (not sales). We were trained to carry a big 4 D-cell Maglite for thumping dogs, and a large metal or plastic clipboard-case. If attacked we were supposed to put the clipboard in front of the dog's face as it would appear as a much larger object and back away if possible. I often carry a walking stick now (bad knee) and my plan was to jam that down a dogs throat, although now you've given me the idea that it needs to go up the other end.

Our favorite dog was a golden retriever, of which the standing joke was that: if a burglar breaks into your house at night, a GR will go fetch him a flashlight.

Mark Hennebury
08-10-2022, 12:37 PM
https://9gag.com/gag/a21eDB9

Mark Hennebury
08-10-2022, 1:12 PM
I have had a lot of dogs, and spent many an hours during my youth fighting and wrestling with dogs, play-fighting is of course not the same as a dog intent on killing you, but does give you some appreciation of how they fight and how hard they can bite.
Dogs even when playfighting move fast and if they can see what you are throwing their way, can probably avoid it, that's why i suggested using the knee to the dogs chest when it jumps, the dog can't see it, can't stop it, and will get the pain and shock, it may help you, if you have none of the previously mentioned weapons at your disposal. I had a two dogs that I used to take for a walk on choke chains and when they decided to go, me hanging on to the leads and the choke chains squeezing around their necks would not prevent them, dogs have powerful necks, I am not sure if you could grab its collar and choke out an attacking dog. Plenty of graphic videos online if you want to see what a dog attack looks like.

What about grabbing by the collar (if they have one) lifting off front feet and twisting to choke them out?

I had a job once, that required a lot of house to house field work (not sales). We were trained to carry a big 4 D-cell Maglite for thumping dogs, and a large metal or plastic clipboard-case. If attacked we were supposed to put the clipboard in front of the dog's face as it would appear as a much larger object and back away if possible. I often carry a walking stick now (bad knee) and my plan was to jam that down a dogs throat, although now you've given me the idea that it needs to go up the other end.

Our favorite dog was a golden retriever, of which the standing joke was that: if a burglar breaks into your house at night, a GR will go fetch him a flashlight.